Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Shoulds All-Star Rosters be extended to 15?

It seems like are always guys who miss the cut who deserve to be on. I know 15 is a big roster, but I remember back in the late 80's they create a third All-NBA team for this reason.

There will always be guys that fans think should have made it, but at the same time, I think extending the teams a little allows for more fans to be included because you get guys from more teams and more fans get to see a representative from their team.

Thoughts? Does it water down the prestige? Or should we celebrate more players?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    I agree with this, especially the part about including more fans. If 6 extra roster spots are available in total, that may make it so two more teams are represented. Sure some years there might not be more teams, but some years there will be.

vCash
    After thinking about it for a moment, I actually agree with this, too. Both the MLB All-Star Game and the NFL Pro-Bowl allow for much larger rosters than would be allowed on an actual pro team. Why not allow the same for the NBA? And I'm sure we'll get our fair share of "watering down the talent" comments, but they do have the All-NBA teams every year for the cream of the crop, and the All-Star game is supposed to be about the fans anyway.

It would be especially nice for those fans of bad or underappreciated teams to see one of their guys in the All-Star game and have somebody to root for this weekend in a season that doesn't mean a whole lot at this point.

vCash
    only if the all star game would be expanded to 5 quarters which would actually be a good idea anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdevil84 View Post
    only if the all star game would be expanded to 5 quarters which would actually be a good idea anyway
    I think that's a bit overkill. I would be okay with adding an extra minute or two for each quarter, though, to accommodate the added players to each roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdevil84 View Post
    yeah umm dont think players want to be elected to the all star game to play 2mins..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasyyy View Post
    yeah umm dont think players want to be elected to the all star game to play 2mins..
    well, more players on the roster, less playing time. and a lot of them need the ball in their hands to be successful lol

vCash
    There are certainly pros and cons to each side of the argument, but I say no. Ultimately, it waters down the prestige, as you put it. And that's too many people for an exhibition game. I'd rather see the game's absolute best playing than the 14th and 15th guys taking their minutes. There will always be snubs, oh well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    There are certainly pros and cons to each side of the argument, but I say no. Ultimately, it waters down the prestige, as you put it. And that's too many people for an exhibition game. I'd rather see the game's absolute best playing than the 14th and 15th guys taking their minutes. There will always be snubs, oh well.
    What would you think about adding a 13th roster spot, though? I could see some sort of scenario where NBA.com could put up a poll of "who do you think was the biggest All-Star snub?" for each conference. The winner of the poll in each conference could get the 13th roster spot, and it would add some extra intrigue to the All-Star selection. Imagine the debate in these forums between Cousins, Dragic and Lillard right now. That could be a lot of a fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I think that's a bit overkill. I would be okay with adding an extra minute or two for each quarter, though, to accommodate the added players to each roster.
    if you have 5 quarters of 12 minutes you would have a total of 60x5=300 total minutes
    15 players to use all of those minutes is 300/15=20 minutes for each players. that would be fair right? maybe give the better players like 3-4 extra minutes and take away some of the lesser stars?
    overall i think expanding it to 5 quarters with a 15 man roster would be pretty good. It allows for less all star snubbbings and its a longer game = more exciting for the fans

vCash
    In my opinion no because expanding it takes away from the exclusiveness of being picked to the game.

vCash
    honestly like this idea

vCash
    It will be more competitive if it is approved alongside with assigning equal minutes to each player. There are 5 positions,each of which has 48 minutes to play. If you divide the minutes equally, every player has 16 minutes,which is similar to that of a role player of a regular season game. Within the time limit, these superstars or ordinary stars are not likely to slack off too much,since some underdogs may grab the opportunity to get a MVP award.
    Oh wait, how about adding a 6th Man Award as well as a Defensive Player award ?

vCash
    As for watering down the prestige ,i dont think it is a big problem.The NBA is all about business ,if you can increase the attention of the fans, why not do it ?Superstars like LBJ and KD will be voted in anyway ,so it will not harm their legacy when they retire someday.Snubs like dragic is dreaming to have a taste of the ASG.Giving them the opportunity to play is no doubt a huge boost of their confidence.More importantly ,there is little chance that they will surpass the current superstars---if any harm, it is for the retired players.Some of whom deserved to be voted all stars but the rules were different from now.
    Last edited by Chrisclover; 02-16-2014 at 12:28 AM.

vCash
    With regard to the harm for the prestige of the retired players ,as i said before ,if they were superstars ,there is little effect for them.And when we are talking about the legends ,most likely we are discussing the top all time players.There are dozens of one -time or two-time all stars who we dont remember ,let alone arguing with others about their all time status.
    For the global marketing ,Stern has done a lot but there is still room to develop.Worldwidely,the most popular sport is soccer.If Silver is keen enough to let NBA surpass the soccer ,he needs to shape a bolder blueprint.Maybe this proposal of adding all stars is of some help.International players like Pau ,AK47,Lin ,Rubio ,Manu are enjoying considerable popularity.But they are either aging or not fledged, which is kind of disappointing for fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast