Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is making amends with Vince the first step in going after Durant?

I'm not sure exactly why i got to thinking about this today in particular, but i did.

There was a minor movement, of sorts, to forgive and perhaps even celebrate what Vince Carter did for this franchise about a month or so ago, and it certainly felt like it might have been something that the organization was behind. The columnists seemed to be beating that drum all at once, and the Vince retrospective on tv, etc, etc.

So we all talked about Vince - whether the organization was trying to lay the ground work for a trade or possibly even an off-season signing. I always thought it seemed unlikely that the organization would put much effort into that when it's not even directly within their control where Vince plays next year.

But is it more than that?

We've got a big new ownership group that has not been shy in the least about it's goals to be champions, to be big players and make Toronto a destination city for athletes. They blew enormous amounts of money on transfer fees to bring top players to TFC. Going after two of the big fish in basketball in James and Durant certainly fits Leiweke's style, and there are questions about both as to whether they will be looking to move on in the next couple of years.

Now we all know that Toronto has to overcome considerable obstacles to lure big name players, much less perhaps the 2 best players in the game. There is the perception that if you play here you will be overlooked.

If you are GM of the Raptors, the best sales pitch you can make IMO would be to point to Vince Carter as an example of how huge you can be in this market. In fact, you would want to point out to James or Durant that instead of sharing the adulation of the American market with dozens or even hundreds of other basketball players - here, well here in Canada you can have an entire country eating out of your hands.

Which leads me back to Vince. Unless you have re-embraced that part of your past and mended the relationship you can't use what is possibly your best sales pitch; in fact you are probably better of not even mentioning Vince in that case. It's also worth mentioning that Durant grew up a Raptor fan because of Vince - all the more reason to mend that relationship so you prey on Durants fondness for the old purple dino.

So what do you think? Was it even about Vince at all? or something much bigger?
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 02-14-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash

Is making amends with Vince the first step in going after Durant?

It's about credibility with free agents so yes definitely it's bigger. Great post btw.

vCash
    It's a good take on the situation.

And to continue on... Vincent can't play forever. What better way to recruit players than to have half man half amazing in your front office, traveling on July 1st to visit the big names. Although its probably a little far fetched.

vCash
    Great Post. If he doesn't become a FA it will be very interesting to see if he gives us a look

"A friend in need is a friend to avoid"

vCash
    We should make amends with VC just because of what he did for the franchise. Anything else is a plus.
    \

vCash
    Can't hurt. It is pretty embarrassing whenever fans hold grudges.

vCash
    If TFC spent god knows how much money on a 2nd rate league, I can't see why they can't go and blow money to go get someone like Durant. James likely wouldn't come here since he's already the most marketable player and has no reason to come here. Durant isn't really about the spotlight, so Toronto may work for him. But it depends where this team is in 2 years.

vCash
    Toronto isn't the first choice for marquee FAs in this league. They can mend as many broken bridges as they like, this is the reality, and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

Market appeal - We're big, but we don't have this same cache as a New York or an LA or a Chicago.

History - We have none.

Winning culture - Lol. Perrenial loser/bottom feeder.

While its nice to think about, guys like Durant and James are pipe dreams.

The only way to land sure fire superstar talent is through drafts or trades.
    Last edited by Rego247; 02-15-2014 at 01:57 AM.

vCash
    Great post/idea. Not sure if Durant or anyone for that matter is a specific target. They definitely have the long term in mind and you hit the nail on the head.

As you mentioned for starters they need to mend fences with Carter before they can use him.

Considering Durant has positioned himself as the anti-Lebron coming to Toronto (if OKC can't win) fits that bill.

If this is their intention with all of this I like this ownership group even more. I work for a not for profit and my departmental executive always seems to only think this way in deflecting blame. I love to see executives have the same long term sneaky approach to achieve positive things instead of covering their own ***.

vCash
    Butch Carter made a similar point on the fan 590 a while ago. I'm paraphrasing but he said that when discussing opportunities with agents about high profile players the VC fiasco is certainly going to come up as a talking point. These guys care about their legacy and they don't want to be in a place where their legacy will be forgotten or looked down upon because of circumstantial behaviour.

Most great players in the history of the NBA have only really ever played for 1 or 2 teams MAX. I'm talking like top 10 great players. So we have to be able to show that we as a franchise know how to celebrate a player and it definitely starts with changing the perceptions of how we celebrate what Vince has done. This organization ever since TL came has been all about changing culture and what they're trying to do with Vince is exactly that.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    He's still a decent player too, he'd be great off the bench. I think he's much more mature and able to be a leader now as well.

vCash
    Good post Jamie. It wouldn't hurt to have Vince around. I am not sure what Vince's future plans are. But if it includes coaching, managing, then raptors should keep tabs on him. It wouldn't hurt to have him as a front office guy in the future.

vCash
    make amends then canada will vote him into the allstar game in toronto....celebrate the **** outta him and make durant realize how unreal itd be...

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rego247 View Post
    Toronto isn't the first choice for marquee FAs in this league. They can mend as many broken bridges as they like, this is the reality, and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

Market appeal - We're big, but we don't have this same cache as a New York or an LA or a Chicago.

History - We have none.

Winning culture - Lol. Perrenial loser/bottom feeder.

While its nice to think about, guys like Durant and James are pipe dreams.

The only way to land sure fire superstar talent is through drafts or trades.
    one thing for sure: we ain't getting Durant with this attitude and pessimism lol

vCash
    I was at Dallas @ Toronto game this season. It was different than before. There was some clapping and cheering when VC scored but there was also the booing we've become accustomed to. The hate and hurt isn't as intense as it once was. Retiring his number maybe too much and should be reserved when the franchise accomplishes something significant but if the franchise chooses to show appreciation for what VC did for the team during his prime years with the team, i don't think it'd be too bad. I don't 100% forgive him for the way things went down prior to when he left but what he DID do during the good times was electrifying for the Toronto. Showing VC that we can overlook the bad and say thanks for the good things, before he retires soon enough, isn't a sign that Toronto is weak, it shows that the franchise is maturing.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast