Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Cleveland Indians Spring Training

Thread for all Spring Training news, updates, position battles, who you see making the 25 man Opening Day roster, etc.

Looks like the main questions will be Carlos' time at 3B, #5 starter, filling out the pen and who the final 2 or final 1 bench spot will go to.

Do you guys think Tito goes with 8 in the pen or 7 and opens up an additional spot on the bench for a guy like Giambi/David Cooper/David Adams or Elliot Johnson? I don't see any of the ST invites in the OF like Francoeur, Carson, or Morgan making the team as they have 4 capable OF'ers in Smoove, Bourn, Raburn and Murphy and then can always play Aviles and Swish out there as well. I don't think they will carry 3 Catchers either even if they decide to play CSan at 3rd an abundance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Thread for all Spring Training news, updates, position battles, who you see making the 25 man Opening Day roster, etc.

Looks like the main questions will be Carlos' time at 3B, #5 starter, filling out the pen and who the final 2 or final 1 bench spot will go to.

Do you guys think Tito goes with 8 in the pen or 7 and opens up an additional spot on the bench for a guy like Giambi/David Cooper/David Adams or Elliot Johnson? I don't see any of the ST invites in the OF like Francoeur, Carson, or Morgan making the team as they have 4 capable OF'ers in Smoove, Bourn, Raburn and Murphy and then can always play Aviles and Swish out there as well. I don't think they will carry 3 Catchers either even if they decide to play CSan at 3rd an abundance.
    Probably 8 in the pen to start.. Starters will not be fully stretched out. Caution will be the watchword..

vCash
    @MLBastian: After watching only one mound session by Trevor Bauer, manager Terry Francona said the pitcher's delivery is "night and day" from last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    @MLBastian: After watching only one mound session by Trevor Bauer, manager Terry Francona said the pitcher's delivery is "night and day" from last year.
    If his improvement is a great as everyone is saying, he could be in strong contention for that 5th spot. Either way, I think it will start off as more of a revolving door. Carrasco will end up being a long relief pitcher out of the pen again. Masterson - Salazar - Kluber - McAllister - Bauer (with Tomlin and Marcum used in a spot start or injury situation)

vCash
    Tribe signs Aaron Harang to a minor league deal with an invite to ST...so he is in camp competing for the 5th starter spot with Carrasco, Bauer, Tomlin, and Marcum. Looks more like a certainty that, barring anything drastically changing, they don't bring Ubaldo back.

vCash
    Cleveland Indians: Rotation help is needed, and Danny Salazar demonstrated at the end of last season how dynamic he can be. The Indians are additionally encouraged by what they’ve seen in Trevor Bauer's revamped delivery. Remember, Bauer had enough talent that he was taken third overall in one of the best drafts in recent memory, and he appears much more comfortable with his mechanics, a hybrid of those he had in college and those he began adopting last season.

• Bauer’s delivery is making a good impression, writes Paul Hoynes.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...0/refresh/true

Reasons for optimism on all 30 MLB teams.

vCash
    With the starting staff of:

Masterson
    Kluber
    Salazar
    McAllister

Then 3 guys: Bauer, Carrasco, & Tomlin filling in the last spot, this is a pretty deep SP rotation. Boy would it be nice to have Ubaldo back to lengthen this group just a wee bit more.. I'd love to see the starting rotation be as effective as they finished the second half of the year comprised of these seven guys.. that would be incredible.

vCash
    I love the young talent we have, Salazar, Bauer leading the way. But they are so young and putting a lot of pressure on them. We were a playoff them last season so a world series should def be on our mind and a goal. So to put so much on guys like them and kluber and Zach scares me.

How does this team match up to last years? We replace a struggling closer with another struggling closer although axford did finish strong. Lost arguably the best setup man in baseball. Lost 2 starting pitchers both pitched very well for us. We replace them with rookies pretty much with loads of talent. (Assuming its Bauer who I hope gets it) prefer ubaldo though lol. I do think we improved RF and our offense a little.

IMO...
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    I love the young talent we have, Salazar, Bauer leading the way. But they are so young and putting a lot of pressure on them. We were a playoff them last season so a world series should def be on our mind and a goal. So to put so much on guys like them and kluber and Zach scares me.

How does this team match up to last years? We replace a struggling closer with another struggling closer although axford did finish strong. Lost arguably the best setup man in baseball. Lost 2 starting pitchers both pitched very well for us. We replace them with rookies pretty much with loads of talent. (Assuming its Bauer who I hope gets it) prefer ubaldo though lol. I do think we improved RF and our offense a little.

IMO...
    A while back (..at least a year, but, I am not exactly certain of the date)..I wrote a note about resigning your own players (better the devil you know), but otherwise, stay away from the free agent market as it was a classical diminishing returns death spiral that sucked a higher and higher percentage of scarce resources from a small market club like the Indians.. I still believe that to be the truth.. That's where the Indians still find themselves.. If the financial playing field for the Indians doesn't change, then the Indians will see the likes of Ubaldo and Masterson depart for free agency.. without any way of the Indians being able to prevent it. It's unfair and it's what there IS. The Qualifying Offer system.. does NOTHING to prevent this as it was intended.. or one of its intentions. Unless a team can bind a player via the Qualifying Offer system, teams like the Indians and others will have to pick choose which players they will attempt to retain or watch them leave. Ubaldo, is one player the Indians chose to attempt to retain.. he declined so, the Indians have to live with it.

I suggested a sign and trade deal to some Mariner fans (who are becoming more desperate for an SP with the Iwakuma loss) but it wasn't greeted very well.. what a shock.. Personally, I could see a three way sign and trade deal, the Mariners sign and trade Kendrys to the Pirates, the Indians sign and trade Ubaldo to the Mariners and the Mariners trade Jim Paxton to the Indians. No one loses their first pick, just the pick they would have gotten if they would have signed one of these three guys. An additional prospect may have been added by each of the three clubs.. It's waaaaaaaaay too complex, but, isn't that what rosterbation is all about?

Anyway.. back to your posting.. The young guys who may be called on to lead include Salazar (24)and Bauer (23) as you've stated AND Carlos Carrasco (26). We all know about the alleged immaturity/head hunting reputation he's been saddled with, but, you can't dispute the arm and the stuff. His stuff is as good as anyone's.. Josh Tomlin (29) Z-Mac (26) & Corey Kluber (27) are also very young.. The entire pitching staff, including Masterson @ 28 is a bunch of 20-somethings.. They're all young..

Joe Smith will be missed. Joe Smith will be replaced. There are always six or ten arms who can get those three or six outs in the seventh and eighth inning of a game.. none quite as efficiently as Smith, but, for 1/10th the dough, it has to be considered...

The two starting pitchers (Ubaldo and Kazmir) combined to pitch 340.2 IP @ 3.65 ERA, 23 wins and 61 starts. There are replacements.. but, how well those replacements do, is yet to be seen...

If there's a way to bring Ubaldo back.. I'd be for it...

vCash
    Well.. Ubs took his funky delivery to Baltimore.. It appeared he was all about the length of the contract. The money wasn't chump change, but, it appears he sacrificed AAV for duration. Good luck to Ubs provided his pitching doesn't interfere with Indians' hitting..

Report by Jason Mastrodonato (Who?) of MassLive says that Grady Sizemore is doing well in the early part of camp with the Red Sox.. It was a bit disappointing when Grady signed with the Red Sox, but not terribly surprising. Current Red Sox Manager Johnny Farrell was in the Indians organization where he spent 5 years as Director of Player Development for the Indians (November 2001-November 2006). It was during that time in 2002 when Sizemore was acquired along with Brandon Phillips and Cliff Lee in the Bartolo Colon trade.. So, there is a long and deep history there.

Cody Allen: "..Lindor has quick hands.." a good thing when facing a mid to upper's 90 MPH FB.. Lindor could make a the decision to become a ML'er more and more difficult as the Spring continues..

Carlos Santana: Looking forward to the "trial by fire" in Goodyear beginning tomorrow...It will not be a huge surprise to see the defensive metrics used via anal-ytics for him at that position go into the toilet.. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Yan Gomes take a few reps at 3B as well..

Kipnis: Jon Heyman is boring.. Jon Heyman's contract stuff is boring.. especially during the start of the spring... Nothing of any notable value can come from that story until Kip signs or doesn. Well.. it is the time when hope springs eternal..yada..

Thoughts?

vCash
    Hearing really good things regarding Lindor and could warrant being called up quicker than the Tribe ever expected with the possibility of June/July maybe making Cabby more expendable at that time for some SP'ing. Love the makup part of him too as he seems to have a lot of intangibles that aren't seen on the diamond but are still great especially for such a young player.

“Makeup is one of those things that cannot be quantified with any combination of stats, but at the same time is undeniable for those who have been around Lindor on the baseball field. It’s hard to put a specific value on makeup, but it has a positive effect on more than just Lindor. I go back to the discussion that I had with team president Mark Shapiro during spring training last season, when we talked about “levers” that the Indians can pull that effect more than one player at a time. Shapiro referred to a guy like Nick Swisher, whose animated enthusiasm can be infections throughout the clubhouse as a lever. There’s no doubt in my mind that Francisco Lindor will be a similar lever both on and off the field. On the field, Lindor plays outstanding defense, helping every pitcher that plays with him put up better numbers. Off the field, he’s provided leadership throughout his rise through the minor leagues, setting a positive example for other young players in the organization. Every time I think I’m as excited as I can possibly be about Francisco Lindor, something like this comes up that makes me even more eager to see him playing shortstop at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario.”
    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...is-in-the-air/

vCash
    Zach McAllister went home over the winter in search of a strikeout pitch. When the Indians right-hander arrived to Spring Training, he brought a new slider with him.

At the suggestion of Cleveland’s coaching staff, McAllister went to work over the offseason on adding a slider to his repertoire. The goal of the pitch, which essentially replaces the inconsistent cutter he featured last season, is to give the Tribe starter a more reliable weapon for hitters to chase.
    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...lister-slider/

Nice to hear about ZackAttack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    A cutter, in a lot of ways.. if very much like a slider.. The problem I've seen with throwing a cutter.. you rely on your middle finger to get the bite on the spin & it's on the outside (toward the ring finger) that the seam sits. It's not the easiest pitch to control nor is the spin (hence movement) the best. The slider, uses the same kind of arm action and release, however, instead of using the outside of the middle finger against the seam, the index finger is next to the seam. You can get a much better bite and sping and can control the release way better that way. There is usually much more movement with a slider..

At least.. that's what I've seen. The slider that Kluber throws.. has almost cutter action.. it's a wicked pitch..

vCash
    The Tribe is tied with Reds right now in Goodyear. I view this as a must win if they want to have any chance of making the playoffs.

vCash
    Tribe lost 8-3 in first preseason game. Got to watch a good chunk of the game while multitasking other work duties. It's difficult to really evaluate anything because it almost felt like an all-star game with a floating roster of minor and major league Tribe talent. I missed Bauer pitching in the first. Watched both Naquin and Lindor at bats. Apparently Russell Wilson will play against the Tribe next week with the Rangers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast