Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Last year he was .318 with the Mets.
    What he did with the Rockies means very little to me except that we were able to get him McHugh.

You are trying to make a case that Lagares deserve the job because of what he did last year. Lagares wasn't very good last year offensively. There is no way to make it look nice. If he wants the job he will have to get on base. There is really no way around this.
    So we're ignoring what he did prior? That's exactly what Met fans did with Frenchy when he came here. He did very well when he first came here, and everyone thought we found a viable OF option. Thankfully, EYJ started to suck before we could be decieved.

EYJ is also horrible offensively, so what makes him entitled to the leadoff spot? His speed? That's nonsense. I'd love to see what numbers Lagares could have put up in Coors. Probably hit like .280+ with 10-15+ triples with those huge gaps.

vCash
    Ugh. Here we go, another year of TC...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Young is not nearly as good in CF as Lagares at this point. Lagares has better instincts, covers more ground, and has a way stronger arm. Young is 30 years old, and on this team he should play in a corner. He's an above average CF at this point of his career.

I think the Mets are losing a substantial amount of defense with EYJ, Young, and Grandy in the OF. Young >> EYJ and Lagares >> Young on defense.

On offense, EYJ and Lagares are very similar except for the former being a much better baserunner. At least Lagares is young with upside to get better. He doesn't need to get on base, he just needs to hit in that .260-.270 range and hit for the same or more power than last year.
    Lagares defensive value will normalize this year. He won't post a 25.4 again this year.

Young, 2 years ago posted a 18.2 in CF with the Diamondbacks. So he is no slouch.

Lagares needs to get on base, it really is that simple. The Mets can't afford another black hole besides Tejada and to a lesser extent Ike. They need the CF to have a difference greater than 40 points between his batting average and his OBP. Batting averages have nothing to do with run scored. And Juan's slugging isn't that great to offset his poor plate discipline.

Juan needs to get on base. And the job is his. If he can't, he will be playing in Las Vegas.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    So we're ignoring what he did prior? That's exactly what Met fans did with Frenchy when he came here. He did very well when he first came here, and everyone thought we found a viable OF option. Thankfully, EYJ started to suck before we could be decieved.

EYJ is also horrible offensively,so what makes him entitled to the leadoff spot? His speed? That's nonsense. I'd love to see what numbers Lagares could have put up in Coors. Probably hit like .280+ with 10-15+ triples with those huge gaps.
    2011- .247/.342/.298
    2012-.316/.377/.448

From what I am reading it looks like he gets on base.

Lagares has poor plate discipline, that needs to change.

And for the record, I want Lagares to win the job, but he needs to post an OBP significantly higher than what he did last year.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Wheeler > Syndergaard
    Until Syndergaard actually does something, the statement above remains true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 39m
    Collins really pushing Eric Young as leadoff hitter. Doesn't bode well for Lagares, it would seem. Says alternatives Tejada, Chris Young
    Terry Collins, the same clueless gameday manager he's always been. This toolbox needs to go before next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Maybe Sandy will just pull a Billy Beane and trade EYJ before spring training so Terry can't put him in the lineup.
    We can only hope. Terry should be fired for even making such an idiotic statement. My only hope is it's just being used as a motivating tool for Lagares. If Collins is seriously considering starting Eric Young, he belongs at the funny farm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Already?
    Yes. Deservedly so after the moronic comments Collins has made this spring. Collins is a ****ing joke of a manager. I'm looking forward to another season of you flailing away as you mindlessly defend his mentally deranged decisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    Ugh. Here we go, another year of TC...
    Yep. Same ****, different year. Same people defending this crackpots horrible game managing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    We can only hope. Terry should be fired for even making such an idiotic statement. My only hope is it's just being used as a motivating tool for Lagares. If Collins is seriously considering starting Eric Young, he belongs at the funny farm.
    I hope so, but I think Terry is being honest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Lol what have I been saying this entire time about EYJ?

You kept saying I was nuts for saying that EYJ would get at least 300 AB's this year.

My response everytime was that I agreed with you, but that I think Terry will still find a way to get EYJ his at bats.

Now TC is saying that he wants to have EYJ bat leadoff on a regular basis.

I told you that for better or worse, TC loves EYJ and will find a way to put him in the lineup.

I never said I agreed with it, just always stated what I thought TC was thinking in his head based on how he has talked about EYJ in the past.

I'm not the type to say I told you so, but I did say that for this specific situation that when the time came... I will say I told you so.

Bottom line is, Lagares is probably going to have to win the job outright in order to push EYJ to where he should be... the bench as our 4th OFer.

Otherwise I see them platooning a lot and EYJ getting a good amount of at bats this season.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 02-14-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    DUDA

noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Lol what have I been saying this entire time about EYJ?

You kept saying I was nuts for saying that EYJ would get at least 300 AB's this year.

My response everytime was that I agreed with you, but that I think Terry will still find a way to get EYJ his at bats.

Now TC is saying that he wants to have EYJ bat leadoff on a regular basis.

I told you that for better or worse, TC loves EYJ and will find a way to put him in the lineup.

I never said I agreed with it, just always stated what I thought TC was thinking in his head based on how he has talked about EYJ in the past.

I'm not the type to say I told you so, but I did say that for this specific situation that when the time came... I will say I told you so.

Bottom line is, Lagares is probably going to have to win the job outright in order to push EYJ to where he should be... the bench as our 4th OFer.

Otherwise I see them platooning a lot and EYJ getting a good amount of at bats this season.
    What TC says on February 14 may have no bearing on what he does during the season. What TC says, he may say to motivate and support the players. I'm sure EYJ wants to play regularly and bat leadoff. Should TC kill those ambitions on the first day of ST? Perhaps TC has made it clear to EYJ under what conditions EYJ will start and bat in the one-hole.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    EYJ's OBP was .310 last year as a 28 year old. He's played his whole career in Coors which is a hitter's haven. A .325 OBP there sucks.

Not trying to make excuses here, but Lagares ended the year on the slump. He was hitting .272/.308/.397(.705 OPS) on September 7th and .254/.293/.370(.663 OPS) on September 22nd. I don't think he'll hit .242/.281/.352(.633 OPS) for a full season next year. He was only a 24 years old and a rookie. I really hope they give him a chance. He improved his plate discipline a bit, but it remains a work in progress.
    I do think Lagares might actually be the better hitter than EYJ to be honest because I think people are judging Lagares harshly after his first taste of big league experience. He has shown more as a contact hitter throughout the minors and just watching him last year, I can see that he possess a solid hit tool. He also has a bit of power potential... not much but enough to maybe hit 10 HRs like an Angel Pagan type.

Still, EYJ might be the best baserunner in the big leagues and that has some value. So overall, my guess is that EYJ will still be the better offensive option.

That does not mean I think there is a gap offensively that is large enought offset the defensive gap that exists between the two.

Just giving an honest assesment about where I believe each player stands.

Lagares needs to show that offensively he is the type of player we think he is... that he will hi in the .260 - .270 range and that he will get on base at a .300 - .310 range.

He has a little bit of pop so if he does the above from an on base standpoint, I doubt Sandy will even allow Terry to bench him in favor of EYJ (unless EYJ is somehow having a great year himself).

If Lagares doesn't show that and only gets on base at a .280 clip... TC will have a good excuse to insert EYJ into the lineup in order to give this offense a bit of a boost or spark plug so to speak.

I want to see Lagares succeed and I want to see if his defensive value is legitimate, but he will probably need to improve a little at the plate if he wants to get that opportunity. So hopefully he gets that batting avg up to at least .260.

I think for a guy like Terry Collins... hitting .240 and hitting .260 will change his mind about Lagares especially when Lagares shows a little bit of pop to add to that (more pop than EYJ).
    DUDA

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    What TC says on February 14 may have no bearing on what he does during the season. What TC says, he may say to motivate and support the players. I'm sure EYJ wants to play regularly and bat leadoff. Should TC kill those ambitions on the first day of ST? Perhaps TC has made it clear to EYJ under what conditions EYJ will start and bat in the one-hole.
    Thats fine.

But I still think TC just genuinely wants to start EYJ and put him into the lineup.

He has done nothing but praise EYJ ever since we aqcuired him and I truly believe that TC believes that we need that type of spark plug at the top of our lineup in order to get this offense going.

Just my opinion.

I do believe that Lagares's bat is more valuable than he has shown so far and if he shows it this spring, I don't see how TC can take him out of the lineup and give a guy like EYJ too many of his at bats.
    DUDA

vCash
    It IS nuts to start EYJ and give him 300. I always had it in the back of my mind that it was possible with a totally inept, possibly mentally ******** manager named Terry Collins.

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast