Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Old School Question of the Day: Where Drexler rank among SG's since 2000?

When Drexler was playing, he was widely regarded, uncontestedly through to the mid 90's, and the second best shooting guard in the league. This was a guy who was posting 25-6-6 for several years during his prime on a very good team. He sometimes missed out on All-NBA teams due to the dpeth of point guards that made it ahead of him, but he was second to only Jordan from at least 88, through to 92 if not longer.

I had the privileged to watch him play, and even as a Detroit fan I would have easily conceded Drexler was better than Dumars, and would have ranked Drexler ahead of Mitch Richmond until around 95.

Drexler played during the hand-checking era, and only one guard in the league got more attention on defense (Jordan), but he still managed to put up some amazing numbers.

So my question is: How would he stack up against the likes of Kobe and Wade? Do you think Drexler would have been playing on a par with them? Better than them? Or perhaps near their level but not quite at their level?

Looking at his numbers, it might be easy to dismiss him and say he would not be as good, given Kobe and Wade's pique scoring averages, but having watched both play, and considering how the rule have changed to made the game easier for perimeter players, I have to say, I think Drexler's number would be up significantly from the late 80's and early 90's when the fouls were hard and the rule were geared toward big-man play.

What are your thoughts?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    He does commentary for Rockets home games, and he always jokes how much easier it would be for him now. I see him putting up 29/7/6 in this era. He was a lot like Wade in the fact that he was not a long-range shooter, but an elite finisher and had a solid post and mid-range game. He would live at the line.

vCash
    Clyde was is very underrated in top SG discussions IMO. I think his numbers in today's game would mirror prime Wade but with better D.

vCash
    i have him 4th all time sg,he def would be on par with the likes of wade and kobe ,in todays game i could easily see him putting up a prime wade like stat line

vCash
    Would you guys put him over the likes of PG/Love/Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    I watched Drexler throughout his career, and he was phenomenal. He is often overlooked when talking about top SG's.

If he were in his prime around the same time as Kobe or Wade, he would be on par with them overall. He wouldn't be as good of a scorer as Kobe, but he would be better at almost everything else. He was a very underrated passer, an excellent defender, and was as good if not better of a defender as Kobe.

He would be a better all around scorer than Wade, and a better rebounder. He would be on par with Wade defensively, and about equal as passers.

Right now, he would be one of the top, if not THE top SG in the league. (Seeing as how Kobe and Wade are declining.)

vCash
    he'd be behind Kobe and Wade. third best for the 2000's. prime drexler would be the best sg in the NBA this season because Harden has been a bit of a disappointment.
    Dirk dominating at age 35

vCash
    He would definitely be better in this era but I dont know if hes Wade-Kobe good.

vCash
    He would be #2 or #3. His numbers would not change that much at all. Different era but much more athleticism, size and strength in this era. He would have no shot at #1 and no shot to fall below #3. Clyde was one of the elite players of his era and would be so in this era as well.

vCash
    behind tmac too. better than vince carter though

kobe/wade/tamc/clyde / iverson/allen/carter

Stern is the new Mcmahon

vCash
    How can one put Clyde over Iverson if you regard Iverson as SG? No way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    How can one put Clyde over Iverson if you regard Iverson as SG? No way.
    By valuing defense and efficiency

vCash
    I always laughed at the fact that he couldn't even dribble the ball without looking directly at it.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I always laughed at the fact that he couldn't even dribble the ball without looking directly at it.
    Lol, so true. I thought his jumper was pretty funny too. That little kick of both legs up lol. But he only needed a couple dribbles across the half court line before he threw down some ridiculous dunk.

Wiggins-Mobile

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    Lol, so true. I thought his jumper was pretty funny too. That little kick of both legs up lol. But he only needed a couple dribbles across the half court line before he threw down some ridiculous dunk.
    His jumper was fundamentally jacked. As a right hander, he stepped right foot first, then left. That is totally wrong.

He was called "Glide" for a reason. I remember my freshman year in Galveston (the Rox came down to practice), and he drove baseline in practice, and Dream went to block his shot, and he simply floated another 5 feet and dunked on the other side of the rim. I mean, really? How the **** do you do that?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast