Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Angels & Trout talking 6yr/150 million dollar extension

There's a lot of good baseball guy on here, so I thought we could have a discussion on his contract.

Does a 22 year old kid want to commit for 10 years? Or there a bouts.
    Do the Angles want that long of a commitment?
    Does he want an opt out?
    Would he rather have a shorter contract so he can be a FA at the beginning of his prime?
    What's fair for both parties?

If I'm Trout, I'm gonna want to land two huge contracts. The second one being the larger. I'd be looking for something like 6/115 with an opt out after 4 years. He can opt out at the age of 26 if he chooses to. It would be a feeding frenzy for him at that age. Somebody would give him a 10/350 at that stage of his career.

Of course this is all predicated on him continuing his success, and staying healthy.

Or does he want to make sure he get the largest and longest contract right now? What do you guys think?

vCash
    I say a the 6/115 he not that special for $300Mill
    Be $wavy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slaker619 View Post
    If he's looking for two large contracts, that is probably is best option. If he want the "big one" now, then it's not the way to go. He's young enough to get two very large contracts in my opinion.

vCash
    I think he will get something around 10/250 with an opt out somewhere around year 6. He would be foolish not to take the full term offered. Decline and injuries could be a major factor in a few years and the security of the extra term would be good for him and his family.

vCash
    I think he gets something around 200m/8 years with an opt out after 6 or 7 years, if he goes through all 8 years it makes him a free agent going into his age 30 season, still young enough to get another big contract, if he opts out at year 6 or 7 he would be going into his age 28 or 29 season as a free agent. I can't see him getting much more than that considering he still has 4 years left before hitting free agency and he can only bid with the angels.

vCash
    10/350
    Aight, lemme end this with a KO right now:

Ryne Sandberg: 9282 PA | 4.05 fWAR/600 | 4.2 rWAR/600 PA
    Chase Utley: 5128 PA | 6.32 fWAR/600 PA | 6.26 rWAR/600 PA

Utley has 1/2 as many PAs right now...thats definitely whats hurting his HOF hopes, but he has been clearly more valuable than Sandberg in his career. If he can get another 2000 PA (3 full seasons) of 4.5+ WAR rate, then he >>> Sandbage

vCash
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    If I was Trout, I wouldn't sign for anything less than 4/50

And I wouldn't sign anything that covered my 2018 season.

Trout is one of those rare players that will have the world in front of him when he reaches free agency.

I would sign a 4/50, which fills up his arb time with the Angels

2014 - 2 million
    2015 - 8 million
    2016 - 15 million
    2017 - 25 million

They don't want to do that, oh well, go year to year, get paid each year, and then become a free agent.

Even if Trout sucks for the next four years, he'll get paid through arbitration by somebody based on what he has done and what his potential is....and in free agency he will get paid.

There is zero reason for him to sign a long term deal with such a poorly ran organization that is chasing bad money with bad money.....an organization he isn't even a big fan of himself (in terms of the team, I'm he's enjoyed his time in LA).

Unless they wanted to throw him a half a billion dollar contract where he could be a free agent again at like 32/33 or so, I wouldn't sign anything that had his 2018 year under anyone elses control.

Other thing is, if he keeps doing what he is doing year in and out, he's going to get paid a lot more than that in those three arb years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slaker619 View Post
    He's the best player in the game, and still 5 years away from reaching his peak.

How is he not that special?

25 million a year is too low for this guy, unless it's simply his arb years.

There is no reason for Trout to sign anything team friendly right now, unless he just really enjoys his situation there....which why would he? They aren't winning, are maxing out payroll, and the GM is making repeatedly bad moves.

Every team in baseball would be fawning over him if he was a free agent right now. He would get 300 million if he was sitting on the open market today.

vCash
    He will get a 300 million$ contract with an opt out when he is 26/27 yrs old
    Proof that I'm Always Right: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=756103
    and http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=773028

New Prediction: LeBron will be Knicks

vCash
    I mean, if you are Trout. You have to be asking for something like 40-50 million per free agent year, or at least get an opt out. He has to top Kershaw's deal in terms of AAV for free agent years.

Trout is that special of a player. If I was the Angels, I would be very careful how you handle him. Because he could literally make or break their franchise moving forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Trout is one of those rare players that will have the world in front of him when he reaches free agency.

2014 - 2 million
    2015 - 8 million
    2016 - 15 million
    2017 - 25 million

They don't want to do that, oh well, go year to year, get paid each year, and then become a free agent.

Even if Trout sucks for the next four years, he'll get paid through arbitration by somebody based on what he has done and what his potential is....and in free agency he will get paid.

There is zero reason for him to sign a long term deal with such a poorly ran organization that is chasing bad money with bad money.....an organization he isn't even a big fan of himself (in terms of the team, I'm he's enjoyed his time in LA).

Unless they wanted to throw him a half a billion dollar contract where he could be a free agent again at like 32/33 or so, I wouldn't sign anything that had his 2018 year under anyone elses control.

Other thing is, if he keeps doing what he is doing year in and out, he's going to get paid a lot more than that in those three arb years.
    Exactly! That's why I said to have an opt out after 4 years. That would be his natural FA season. If he continues to light it up, and the team wants to keep him, well they're just gonna have to bid just like the rest of them.

He's that one special player.

vCash
    If he signs long term I would be surprised if he does not demand an opt out after 2018/2019. Trout might give up a year or two of his FA years for a bit more security now but I would not expect him to go further than that. I think that is the most the Angels can hope for.

vCash

2014 - 2 million
    2015 - 8 million
    2016 - 15 million
    2017 - 25 million

12.5 million is way to low for what mike trout will get, if all he wants to do is take care of his arbitration years, I can't see him getting less than 80 million, but if the angels are going to give him a ton of guaranteed money then I expect they will want at least one free agent year, which won't have much effect on him long or short term.

They have really curbed the spending otherwise they would have been right along with the mariners for Robinson Cano, name one big dollar player besides Pujols(who will be entering the stretch run of that contract) and potentially Trout they will have on the payroll beyond 2017? Just one.
    And there was Zero reason for Longoria to sign such a massively team friendly deal right away, that didn't even guarantee him all that much money, though you have defended that contract before.
    I didn't know he hated the organization that much, where did you see this information? Can you provide some sort of link, or evidence to back up what appears to just be a hypothesis.

They have the 14th pick this year, depending on how well they draft going forward, it could determine his views on the franchise 4-5 years from now.

And by the way I have never seen you post anything with this much anger inflected in it. Especially over a hypothetical situation.
    He's the best player in the game, and still 5 years away from reaching his peak.

How is he not that special?

25 million a year is too low for this guy, unless it's simply his arb years.

There is no reason for Trout to sign anything team friendly right now, unless he just really enjoys his situation there....which why would he? They aren't winning, are maxing out payroll, and the GM is making repeatedly bad moves.

Every team in baseball would be fawning over him if he was a free agent right now. He would get 300 million if he was sitting on the open market today.
    But who hits free agency at 22? He will be 26 four years from now, by which point the Cano deal will have begun to go sideways, even at 26 I think there will be several teams a little wary on the idea of giving a player 10+ years.
    Do you really think every team would be looking to give him 10 years 300-400 million? Or do you think it would be small handful of teams in on that bid with most teams like the Rays, Royals, Rockies, yes the Cardinals too, getting boxed out.

I don't think the angels are looking to get him to sign a team friendly deal.

Fine you didn't like Dipoto's trade of Mark Trumbo for Skaggs and Santiago, I was unaware you put that much value in dINgeRZ but whatever.
    Last edited by ciaban; 02-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    12.5 million is way to low for what mike trout will get, if all he wants to do is take care of his arbitration years, I can't see him getting less than 80 million, but if the angels are going to give him a ton of guaranteed money then I expect they will want at least one free agent year, which won't have much effect on him long or short term.
    12.5 over his arb years

You realize that arb years are suppressed salaries, based on what the max anyone else has ever been given.

The records for each year

First year - 10 million (Ryan Howard 07)
    Second year - 11.3 million (Miggy 07 - but this was a commitment)
    Third year - 12.5 (Tex 07) - Highest AAV by time of contract was Jeter's 18.9 not counting Kershaw's new deal.

Pujols got 14.3 million for his arb years, the proposed salary that I suggested would give Trout 15.67.

What I am suggesting, is probably the best he can hope for. 80 million over these next four seasons, when his first season (14) he is only scheduled to make league minimum anyway, is a gift year.

Then each of the next three years work in this ranking
    2015 - 40% market value
    2016 - 60% market value
    2017 - 80% market value

If his market value, is...let's say 30 million. Then that would give him
    15 - 12
    16 - 18
    17 - 24

That's 54 million....and these would be record setting amounts.

And there was Zero reason for Longoria to sign such a massively team friendly deal right away, that didn't even guarantee him all that much money, though you have defended that contract before.
    He had absolutely no money at the time, he signed it because it still set him up for life. If he got hurt or anything bad happened to him in his early playing career, he would still receive a ton of money in his lifetime.

I didn't know he hated the organization that much, where did you see this information? Can you provide some sort of link, or evidence to back up what appears to just be a hypothesis.
    I didn't say he hated it. I just don't know why he would commit to stay there when the team isn't winning and has a bloated payroll.

They have the 14th pick this year, depending on how well they draft going forward, it could determine his views on the franchise 4-5 years from now.
    But we don't know what the franchise will be like in 4-5 years. Why would Trout commit to playing for a franchise that has huge questions marks in the future, when he could just play it year by year, or commit through arb, and then see how everything looks in free agency.

And by the way I have never seen you post anything with this much anger inflected in it. Especially over a hypothetical situation.
    Anger? I'm not angry

But who hits free agency at 22? He will be 26 four years from now, by which point the Cano deal will have begun to go sideways, even at 26 I think there will be several teams a little wary on the idea of giving a player 10+ years.
    Do you really think every team would be looking to give him 10 years 300-400 million? Or do you think it would be small handful of teams in on that bid with most teams like the Rays, Royals, Rockies, yes the Cardinals too, getting boxed out.
    I don't see what Cano has to do with anything.

Trout is literally going to be entering his age 26 season....a ten year deal to him is not like it is to a 32 year old. We are talking about a 10 year deal, like A-Rods first. Which was a good deal for the Rangers, had they been a decent team around him.

Fine you didn't like Dipoto's trade of Mark Trumbo for Skaggs and Santiago, I was unaware you put that much value in dINgeRZ but whatever.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I never said anything like that.

DiPoto isn't a very good GM. That's all. But the Trumbo deal isn't any indication of anything by itself.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast