Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Colts win in spite of Pagano?

21. Chuck Pagano

Career Record: 22-10 (.688)

With The Colts Since: 2012

This ranking may seem harsh ó or stupid ó but ask yourself: Have the Colts succeeded because of Pagano, or in spite of him? Paganoís work on defense has been fine, but thatís to be expected of a former defensive coordinator. Itís the negative impact heís had on offense thatís thus far defined his tenure. With OC Pep Hamilton doing his bidding, Pagano has insisted on a run-heavy scheme that highlights the Coltsí weaknesses and obscures their strengths. Andrew Luck attempted fewer passes than Ryan Tannehill and Andy Dalton last season. Meanwhile, Trent Richardson was allowed to slam into a brick wall 157 times. Running the ball and stopping the run is a formula that still works ó just ask Seattle and San Francisco ó but Indy did neither in 2013. That didnít stop Pagano from sticking with his plan until the very end, or at least until Indy fell behind 38-10 in the Wild Card round to the Chiefs. Only then was Luck was fully unleashed, and the full brunt of Indyís offensive firepower felt. Pagano has the best passing prospect since Peyton Manning at his disposal. Until/if he realizes that, he wonít be maximizing his teamís chance to win. Thatís a cardinal sin for any head coach.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...t-coaches?pg=3

I do agree with this guy. I've always felt that Pagano was more of a motivator type of guy rather than a guy who actually knew what he was doing on game day.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    There is much truth to what he says and I believe that bringing in Chuds will help address that...though, the team does need to run the ball better as being one dimensional either way will only get you so far. Unless you have an incredible defense like Seattle which Indy clearly doesn't.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    I've hinted at this in a few threads, but I think it is being looked at wrong. I don't think Chuck is a bad coach, but he isn't an X's and O's guy, he is a motivator like Dungy, and was a good DC in Baltimore. I have been saying for quite a while that we need someone with experience next to Pagano and I don't think either coordinator we had last year was good for that. Chud was a good start, and I hope Pagano focuses more on the D now which would be more his wheelhouse.

Dungy coached a very similar style that I see in Pagano, but he was loved and praised for it while Moore was doing the offensive scheming and really we didn't have much to call and plot/plan on D, because it was vanilla Cover 2 all day. So Dungy not having to worry about his O and after installing his cover 2 he was free to do the other things he was loved for...Last year we didn't have either option for Chuck having a green OC and a DC who I think is a teacher of the 3-4 and not much of a schemer.

vCash
    This is a very good view point, and one hard to argue with. Why did we continue to struggle offensively while Pagano failed to step in and adjust? Why didn't we build a lead passing and attacking downfield, then run the ball 2nd half? I agree Chuds will certainly improve this coaching lapse, but Pagano's leash is shortened with expectations raised. There is no doubt we expect this team to be in championship round next year. And just playing a game of what if's here but, What if we hired Trestman over Pagano? If I remember correctly they were the final candidates. Trestman really turned around Chicago's offense but look at their abysmal defense.

vCash
    Agree 1,000%

vCash
    I don't think he is that bad. Yeah sometimes Luck wins in spite of him but he isnt that bad.

vCash
    With the news that came out this weekend about the 49ers negotiating a trade that involved Jim Harbaugh, it got me to wondering if Harbaugh might be interested in returning to Indy someday. Up until now I assumed he would coach the 49ers as long as they are winning. I wonder if this weakens his loyalty there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolms View Post
    With the news that came out this weekend about the 49ers negotiating a trade that involved Jim Harbaugh, it got me to wondering if Harbaugh might be interested in returning to Indy someday. Up until now I assumed he would coach the 49ers as long as they are winning. I wonder if this weakens his loyalty there.
    It's a fit that makes sense. He played here, he coached Luck in college, and he says he liked his time here. Though, if it happened he wouldn't be HC because Pagano is going to be here a while.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    It's a fit that makes sense. He played here, he coached Luck in college, and he says he liked his time here. Though, if it happened he wouldn't be HC because Pagano is going to be here a while.

Oh god no, say it ain't so.....lol

vCash
    No we wed get Harbaugh without him being the HC. I like Pags but you guys are right. Hes let me down this year. Harbaugh is one of if not the best coach in the NFL. No way hes anything but the man if we got him and honestly id give up alot of him to make it happen.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    [/B]

Oh god no, say it ain't so.....lol
    That #ChuckStrong saga may have given him some immunity from being fired. In an ideal world, we bring in Harbaugh for HC and demote Pagano to DC... where he'd actually be a top tier coach.

<3

vCash
    That #ChuckStrong saga may have given him some immunity from being fired. In an ideal world, we bring in Harbaugh for HC and demote Pagano to DC... where he'd actually be a top tier coach.
    You may be right. In my idealistic mind I like to pretend that Chud being hired is either a) a message to Pagano, or b) preparation for him to leave.

Regardless of how the Colts spin it, I believe this was foisted on Pagano, it's not something he pursued.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    You may be right. In my idealistic mind I like to pretend that Chud being hired is either a) a message to Pagano, or b) preparation for him to leave.

Regardless of how the Colts spin it, I believe this was foisted on Pagano, it's not something he pursued.
    That's an interesting perspective for sure.

<3