Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Lakers Analytics/Scouting Department

According to John Ireland, for the past 2 years, the Lakers have had 4 MIT guys on staff that breakdown everything.

Ireland also asked his source, who is near the top of the Lakers organization: "How much is analytics discussed when taking about drafting or trading for a player?" and the source responded "For hours and hours".

He then asked why this is not listed anywhere and they responded that they don't like to do magazine articles about the statistics they find and like to play things close to the vest.

Ireland asked if "analytics was a large part of what you use in scouting?" and the source interrupted saying that "analytics is a "major" part of what we do."

Mitch is actually the guy who hired these 4 MIT guys and Jim Buss is a huge believer in analytics. They run multiple programs at a time to see how potential players can fit.

----

This is all transcribed from the Mason & Ireland show today. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Does it make you feel anymore comfortable about the organization moving forward?

vCash
    The Times They Are A-Changin'

vCash
    Analitical minds! Jimbaco is the master of it. "My father hired Pringless!"
    The future?

vCash
    It makes me feel less comfortable knowing they are probably paying these MIT guys a lot and it hasn't translated to any success on the court.

vCash
    This is great. I feared being left in the past well every other team was moving forward. Definitely was refreshing to hear this.

vCash
    It's one good sign when usually things look bad in LA

vCash
    i don't know about you guys but I liked the old strategy of "getting the best player in the world"

vCash
    i don't know about you guys but I liked the old strategy of "getting the best player in the world"
    I agree, I dont think you can moneyball your way to an NBA title. The best player in the world, plus 11 or so of his friends seems to be a tried and true way to win championships.

vCash
    These dudes watched Moneyball one night and thought they can could re-build the Lakers

Wiggins-Mobile

vCash
    This explains a lot... specifically that Kobe contract.

vCash
    lmao I think a real Laker and basketball fan with no college education can do a better job than any of them combine

LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    According to John Ireland, for the past 2 years, the Lakers have had 4 MIT guys on staff that breakdown everything.

Ireland also asked his source, who is near the top of the Lakers organization: "How much is analytics discussed when taking about drafting or trading for a player?" and the source responded "For hours and hours".

He then asked why this is not listed anywhere and they responded that they don't like to do magazine articles about the statistics they find and like to play things close to the vest.

Ireland asked if "analytics was a large part of what you use in scouting?" and the source interrupted saying that "analytics is a "major" part of what we do."

Mitch is actually the guy who hired these 4 MIT guys and Jim Buss is a huge believer in analytics. They run multiple programs at a time to see how potential players can fit.

----

This is all transcribed from the Mason & Ireland show today. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Does it make you feel anymore comfortable about the organization moving forward?
    I freakin' LOVE this kind of stuff.

Did anybody notice that the Dantoni system gave OKC a pretty good run for its money tonight? We pretty much won that game, except for the fact we went 13-22 from the FT line, while OKC sank theirs and went 21-24.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    I freakin' LOVE this kind of stuff.

Did anybody notice that the Dantoni system gave OKC a pretty good run for its money tonight? We pretty much won that game, except for the fact we went 13-22 from the FT line, while OKC sank theirs and went 21-24.
    true but his style is inconsistent. When shots are fallen it looks great. When they aren't its a whole other ball game especially on the road.

vCash
    The numbers may have told them Sacre is the best center on the team over Pau and Kaman. this explains a lot. I work with numbers its good to a point but companies go over board to the point its no longer real. I have seen good employees get fired wire the worst ones remain. Numbers take the common sense out. Wonder why the fedEx man hurl your package over the fence or you see the UPS man running or the trash man leaving trash behind?
    Last edited by ldawg; 02-14-2014 at 07:41 AM.

vCash
    When was the last time you met a numbers nerd with a degree who knew anything whatsoever about sports?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast