Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Mock Draft Survey

There is nothing really happening right now. So maybe we could talk a bit about the possible 1st round choice. Cheeseheadtv made a mock draft survey and most of the time we go Louis Nix III.
    So which one would you like the most?

Here is the complete survey

n Cheesehead TV’s fifth annual pre-NFL Combine survey of internet mock drafts, Notre Dame defensive lineman Louis Nix III appeared more times than any other player as being selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 21st pick of the first round, being listed in 18 of 119 such predictions.

Nix is a junior entry for the NFL Draft and a 6-3, 340 lb. nose tackle that was a key piece on the Fighting Irish’s 2012 team that played in the national championship game. His 2013 season was ended by a torn meniscus that ended his year after eight games.

In his breakout 2012 campaign, Nix made 50 tackles, 7.5 for a loss, two sacks, broke up five passes and forced a fumble on his way to being named a third-team All-American by CBSSports.com.

Despite missing five games in 2013, including Notre Dame’s bowl game, Nix was still named first-team All-Independent selection by the media on the defensive line after making 27 tackles, two for a loss and broke up two passes.

Over at NFLDraftScout.com, Nix is compared to Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji as the NFL player he most closely resembles, which probably plays into why he’s so frequently projected as being taken by Green Bay in the draft. Raji is currently set to become a free agent in March and his return to Green Bay is iffy at best.

Nix definitely has a body and mass on par with Raji, but it’s questionable whether his play-making ability is worthy of a first-round draft choice. Raji had 29 tackles for a loss and 12 sacks in three years in college, whereas Nix had just 14 for a loss and 2.5 sacks over the same time frame.

The selection of Nix would seem to fly in the face of the recent report from Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, who suggested the Packers are aimed at “getting more athletic and versatile along the defensive line.”

It almost goes without saying, but take this exercise with a grain of salt. In four previous years of surveying mock drafts, not once has the player linked to the Packers most often been selected.

Just last year, center Barrett Jones was projected as being drafted by the Packers more than anyone else, and he wasn’t selected until the fourth round. For what it’s worth, running back Eddie Lacy tied for second in our 2013 mock draft survey and was picked by the Packers, but not until the second round after trading down twice.

More often than not, mock drafts have players taken at one of the biggest positions of need, and that’s obviously an influence here, as many prognosticators see Raji, Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and C.J. Wilson headed for free agency and the Packers potentially needing to fill the void.

All 119 mock drafts were listed among the database atWalterFootball.com, which included a range of mocks from well-regarded analysts such as Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Daniel Jeremiah and Rob Rang to amateur fan bloggers.

Results of the survey:

Notre Dame defensive lineman Louis Nix III (18)

Texas Tech tight end Jace Amaro (15)

Alabama inside linebacker C.J. Mosley, Louisville safety Calvin Pryor (10)

Alabama safety Ha’Sean “Ha Ha” Clinton-Dix (nine)

North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron (eight)

Minnesota defensive lineman Ra’Shede Hageman (seven)

Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert, Missouri defensive lineman Kony Ealy, Florida State defensive lineman Timmy Jernigan (four)

Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan, Pittsburgh defensive lineman Aaron Donald, Washington tight end Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby, Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier, Stanford linebacker Trent Murphy (three)

Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandijo (two)

Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard, Oregon State defensive lineman Scott Crichton, Notre Dame tackle Zack Martin, TCU cornerback Jason Verrett, Florida cornerback Louchiez Purifoy, Tennessee tackle Antonio Richardson, Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack, Notre Dame defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt, Wisconsin linebacker Chris Borland, Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Ward (one)

Previous mock draft survey leaders

2013: Center Barrett Jones
    2012: Defensive lineman Fletcher Cox
    2011: Defensive lineman Cameron Heyward
    2010: Offensive lineman Charles Brown

vCash
    clinton dix is my pick. We need our safety of the future badly.

And considering the most recent news of wanting a more athletic DL, I don't think Nix will be who we're looking for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    clinton dix is my pick. We need our safety of the future badly.

And considering the most recent news of wanting a more athletic DL, I don't think Nix will be who we're looking for.
    I've been thinking the same thing. But he would be a hard guy to pass up on if he fell to us.

vCash
    I think it all depends on the news that "GB will be big players in free agency this year". IF this happens i see us going after TJ Ward. I really see us going with either Dennard CB, or Mosely ILB. It also wouldn't shock me if we went with Tuitt from Notre Dame.

vCash
    I don't think we're going to make any big splashes in FA. We don't really have that much money to play with. $27m in cap space, but it's mostly ear marked.

vCash
    Barrett Jones LOL. The people voting really know what they're talking about. Did he even go in the 1st 4 rounds last year. I stopped reading mocks last year because sooo many people had GB taking him. I said multiple times he wouldn't go close to the 1st rd and there was NOOO way TT would draft a Center that high. Was just ridiculous.

vCash
    ^
    Yeah, when I saw this I laughed a little bit. I don't take mocks really seriously. But it is a fun thing as long as nothing else happens

vCash
    I would love one of Mosely, Denard, or Dix but they all might be gone by our pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I don't think we're going to make any big splashes in FA. We don't really have that much money to play with. $27m in cap space, but it's mostly ear marked.
    ~
    Jrock I respect your opinions totally but we can't have plenty of Cap space in one thread and not have all that much to play with in another. If we do not make some sort of splash at all we will never keep up with the Jones and in the NFL keeping up and setting yourself into a position to get to the big Dance is everything...
    ~
    Were in dam good shape there are spots like we have talked about where we could even get a better value right now from a few players.
    ~
    Depending on Franchise tags on Ward or Byrd why not make a play for either one if there franchise free.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I would love one of Mosely, Denard, or Dix but they all might be gone by our pick.
    I agree with you that they might all be gone. I would not be shocked at all if TT trades down several times and stock piles extra picks. I just don't see a huge drop off in talent from the end of the first round to the second. Maybe I am wrong but I think we can find a couple of impact players in the second and third rounds. But this is why I don't get paid by an NFL team!!

vCash
    Louis Nix III is the perfect piece for this current defense. Problem is I have a gut feeling that we are going to go with faster, more energetic linemen. BJ Raji should have been a beast in this scheme, but he became too lazy and wasn't willing to give himself up like he did in 2010. So I personally think Louis Nix III isn't the type of guy this team is gonna go after anymore.

I personally have a man crush on C.J. Mosley, but you can't go wrong with about 7 of those guys.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    If we sign a few FA's on the defensive side of the ball before the draft, I couldn't fault any draft with one of those 3 TE's, our offense could almost become unstoppable, assuming our line stays healthy. With Jace Amaro in this lineup, this offense would be darn right scary. I think he's the most NFL ready of the 3, but the other two actually maybe more gifted, I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them.
    NFC Here we come!