Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Red Wings Olympic Update

Henrik Zetterberg is being listed as day-to-day because of herniated disc in his back.
    He hasn't been ruled out for Friday's match against Switzerland and the team will assess his status before the contest. There's a chance that he could be rested as well, so that he's healthier for the elimination contests. "Our doctor's orders are No. 1, so I don't know, actually," coach Par Marts said. "I'm hopeful. Hopefully, he can play. If not, then perhaps the other games."
    Russia coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov said through an interpreter that Pavel Datsyuk "is having a difficult time, still," with his lower-body injury.
    The Russian captain logged 15 minutes of ice time and had one shot on goal in a 5-2 win over Slovenia on Thursday.
    .............. Yeah this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    .............. Yeah this is exactly what I wanted to hear.
    No kidding, but you can't blame them too much. If I were in there position, I would want to play for my country in the Olympics. You have to remember that both of them are professionals and I don't think they are going to jeopardize their careers.

On another note, USA looked great today. The Russia/USA matchup Saturday should be awesome.

vCash
    Oh I agree 100%. I was worried about the injuries, and it looks like I should be right to worry, but fully accepted that they would be going over seas. Especially guys like Pavel and Henrik, this could be their last Olympic games and for Pavs to captain the home country it's just hard to say no.

vCash
    This isn't good... Hopefully he doesn't need surgery. That would be devastating to the Wings.

SOCHI, Russia -- Sweden captain Henrik Zetterberg will miss the rest of the Olympic men's hockey tournament because of a back injury.

Zetterberg scored a goal in the Swedes' opening victory over the Czech Republic on Wednesday, but sat out of Thursday's practice because of a herniated disk in his back.

[+] EnlargeTomas Plekanec, Henrik Zetterberg
    Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
    Henrik Zetterberg (#40) is the latest Swede to pull out of the Games due to injury.
    The Detroit Red Wings captain had anti-inflammatory treatment and consulted with the NHL's doctors in Sochi, but Sweden spokesman Anders Feltenmark confirmed Zetterberg is out Friday before the team faced Switzerland.

Said Sweden team doctor Bjorn Waldeback regarding Zetterberg's herniated disk: "There is no chance at all in the time we've got here that he will be able to train or play. It was no tough decision as this was no borderline case. For people who know medicine it is obvious that this couldn't continue."

The four-time Olympian's absence is another big blow to the Swedes, who were medal favorites before forwards Henrik Sedin and Johan Franzen also were forced to skip the Olympics with injuries.

Sweden still has ample offensive firepower, but depth and shifting lines could be a problem when the elimination portion of the tournament begins next week. Sweden can't replace the 33-year-old Zetterberg on its 25-man roster, which is locked after the teams' first game.

Sweden head coach Par Marts says his team has to step up now.

"This is not what we wanted to happen but now it has and all we can do is see who will step up to fill the void," Marts told reporters Friday ahead of his team's game with Switzerland. "Patrik Berglund now gets to play a bit more and take more initiatives to grow."

Henrik Sedin pulled out of the Olympics recently with a rib injury, and Franzen was unable to travel to Sochi because of a concussion.

Defenseman Niklas Kronwall, Zetterberg's teammate in Detroit, is expected to replace him as Sweden's captain.

Zetterberg is headed home to Detroit and might need surgery, which could seriously impact the Red Wings' postseason hopes. Detroit is fighting for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

The injury also has bothered the Swedes' first-line center during the Red Wings' season, forcing him to miss 11 games. He has been in and out of Detroit's lineup in recent weeks.

Zetterberg won a gold medal with Sweden in Turin in 2006. He has scored five goals in his four Olympic appearances.

vCash
    Well here's to hoping the time off is enough to be ready for the start of the NHL season. Still sucks for him to likely end his Olympic career this way.

vCash
    What was in the back of our minds happened.

vCash
    Sound like Zetterberg could be out well after the Olympics are even over. We have literally got ****ed in the face by injuries this year, so ****ing annoying.
    You need centerman that can play two ways and if they donít play two ways in the end, you canít win, because the guy you are counting on canít get himself on the right side of the puck enough. So sure he can score, he can score but his team loses every night, I didnít know that was the objective. I thought winning was the objective. So if you centers canít play down the middle, and canít play without the puck, you have no chance.
    - Mike Babcock

vCash
    Pavel is the man.
    Gustav Nyquist is Jesus

didn't even hit the goalie doo

Ya, we're spoiled.

vCash
    That game had everything I wanted. Datsyuk looked amazing and the USA still won.

Alfie looking pretty good for Sweden. Had the only goal last night and has a PP goal against Latvia. Although Sweden doesn't look as good as expected so far.

vCash
    Stupid Saturday morning game. I wanted to watch that sucker but not a morning person at all. Did I hear right that Oshie took all the shootout shots? How is that possible? Special Olympic rule or something? The highlights make it look like that would've been a blast to watch

vCash
    Each team needs to have 3 different guys shoot in the initial shootout. If it's tied after that then the teams can keep sending whoever they want out to shoot. Oshie and Kovalchuk were the only ones that scored in the initial shootout. After that USA keep sending Oshie out while Russia rotated Datsyuk and Kovalchuk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Each team needs to have 3 different guys shoot in the initial shootout. If it's tied after that then the teams can keep sending whoever they want out to shoot. Oshie and Kovalchuk were the only ones that scored in the initial shootout. After that USA keep sending Oshie out while Russia rotated Datsyuk and Kovalchuk.
    Ahh so that's what happened

vCash
    The USA/Russia game was awesome. A real nail biter. Datsyuk was great. He scored both of Russia's goals. Can't believe how many times Oshie scored in the shoot-out, 4 of 6. That was pretty spectacular in itself.

It really sucks about Zetterberg. A herniated disc. We could lose him for the rest of the season. If he has to have surgery, that could be career ending. Depending on his condition, the Wings may be forced to try and sign a rental, or to make a trade.

Just read this: "Pavel Datsyuk is having a difficult time deal with his lower body injury according to Russian coach Zinetula Bilyaledinov." I realize Dats wants to play, but we can't afford to lose him too.

The NHL is going to decide if the NHL will participate in the Olympics in Seoul, Korea. Let a bunch of NHLers get hurt in this Olympics and I could see a problem arising about letting NHLers play in the future.
    Last edited by Wingman; 02-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.

vCash
    Holland is fine with NHLers in the Olympics. Said Zetterberg had problems before the Olympics and could have just as easily gotten hurt playing in the NHL.

vCash
    That is true, still hate the we had to lose a guy to injuries

Still the back issues have been a problem before for Z. The thing that really scares me is that the rumors floating around are saying if Z needs surgery his career is over. I'd really hate for his career to end like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast