Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Angels, Mike Trout To Discuss Multiyear Deal

The Angels and Mike Trout will enter negotiations about a multiyear contract this spring with the hopes that a deal will be reached shortly after Opening Day, Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports. Since Trout is still a year away from arbitration eligibility, the Halos could renew his contract for slightly more than the league minimum (as they did last year, with some controversy), though Trout would get a lot more money in his pocket immediately due to a signing bonus from a new extension.

Though the Angels control Trout through the 2017 season, an extension would give them some cost certainty through his three arbitration years, which seem likely to reach record levels. The Halos would surely look to cover at least a couple of Trout's free agent years in an extension, and agent Craig Landis of LSW Baseball could easily ask for at least $25MM for each of his client's free agent years.

The financial terms are mind-boggling for a 22-year-old player who has only 336 Major League games to his name, yet Trout's performance has justified such an inflated price tag. Trout hit .324/.416/.560 with 57 homers in 2012-13, and factoring in his speed (82 steals in 94 attempts) and outfield defense, Trout has accounted for a league-best 20.8 WAR in that span, according to Baseball Reference. If Trout and the Angels are looking for an extension in the range of nine or 10 seasons, such a deal could quite possibly eclipse Alex Rodriguez's 10-year, $275MM contract with the Yankees as the most expensive contract in baseball history.
    I'm thinking its only 5-6 year deal (1-2 free agent years). I would give him a 12 year deal. If I'm Trout I would want an 8 year deal. Then he can hit free agency after his age 29 season.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    I'm calling 9yr 196M. Signs it Apr. 15th

vCash
    Assuming no other moves are being made this offseason...the money that would have been spent on a FA pitcher can now be allocated to Trout, which in all reality i'm 100% ok with. Im thinking its in the ballpark of 8 year 200 mill.

vCash
    pay ze man his monies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halopower31 View Post
    I'm calling 9yr 196M. Signs it Apr. 15th
    I think you're off by at least $50 million.

Let's look at this.
    Trout has just over 2 seasons of service time.
    That mean:
    He'll play 2014 under team control
    He'll play 2015-2017 eligible for arbitration
    From 2018 on he'll be a free agent.

He's already signed for half a million for 2014.
    What's he likely to earn in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Ryan Howard has the largest arbitration salary ever at $10 million.

Trout should make at least that much.

Let's say $15 million, $20 million, $25 million in 2015-2017. That's $60 million total.

Now, his free agent seasons.

Kershaw just set the standard for contract value. He's getting $33 million a year in the seasons in which we are discussing for Trout.

Trout is better than Kershaw

Let's say Trout gets $37.5 million a season for his free agent seasons.

We'd expect Trout to get $60 million for 4 seasons (2014-2017)
    Then $37.55 million a year for 5 additional seasons is 187.5 million.
    That's a total of $247.5 million over 9 years.
    Last edited by filihok; 02-13-2014 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    I think you're off by at least $50 million.

Let's look at this.
    Trout has just over 2 seasons of service time.
    That mean:
    He'll play 2014 under team control
    He'll play 2015-2017 eligible for arbitration
    From 2018 on he'll be a free agent.

He's already signed for half a million for 2014.
    What's he likely to earn in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Ryan Howard has the largest arbitration salary ever at $10 million.

Trout should make at least that much.

Let's say $15 million, $20 million, $25 million in 2015-2017. That's $60 million total.

Now, his free agent seasons.

Kershaw just set the standard for contract value. He's getting $33 million a year in the seasons in which we are discussing for Trout.

Trout is better than Kershaw

Let's say Trout gets $37.5 million a season for his free agent seasons.

We'd expect Trout to get $60 million for 4 seasons (2014-2017)
    Then $37.55 million a year for 5 additional seasons is 187.5 million.
    That's a total of $247.5 million over 9 years.
    Ill be the first guy pushing, riding and operating his bandwagon, but damn thats a ton. I dont think he makes 37.55 Mill a year thats insane.

vCash
    I think he will be in the 7-8 year range, and at about 25 mill preseason, while he is worth more, he doesn't have the market to push up his value. If he is looking at 200 million over 8 years with maybe an opt out after 7 I think it becomes to much to pass up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I think he will be in the 7-8 year range, and at about 25 mill preseason, while he is worth more, he doesn't have the market to push up his value. If he is looking at 200 million over 8 years with maybe an opt out after 7 I think it becomes to much to pass up.
    I agree 100%. An 8 year deal for 200 million is not only security, but also a very solid amount of money. These salaries are becoming bloated and ridiculous. Since when is 25 mill per season considered low ball? He would be 31 at the end of the deal which (barring injury) grants him the opportunity for another massive contract. Who knows what salaries will look like in 6-7 years. Make this happen now and 25 mill per season may look like a bargain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    I agree 100%. An 8 year deal for 200 million is not only security, but also a very solid amount of money. These salaries are becoming bloated and ridiculous. Since when is 25 mill per season considered low ball? He would be 31 at the end of the deal which (barring injury) grants him the opportunity for another massive contract. Who knows what salaries will look like in 6-7 years. Make this happen now and 25 mill per season may look like a bargain.
    How are salaries ridiculous?

The Angels will make $150 million a year before they sell a single ticket, hot dog or Trout jersey.
    *http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodge...local-tv-deal/

There's a ton of money in baseball right now and the players should absolutely be getting their share of it.

vCash
    Yes, pay the guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I dropped my phone in the toilet last night which ruined my week. If that makes you feel better.
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

vCash
    Agreed! Remember that 8 years from now $35 million is only worth $30 million in today's dollars (at 2% inflation which is VERY low when talking about baseball).

My question is, how do we get rid of Albert and Josh's salaries, 4-5 yrs from now when they BOTH are sitting on their couches drawing salary? Will we be financially competitive with all the other teams bidding for high priced free-agents? We have to dump them as soon as we can find a trade suc... partner. IMHO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    Agreed! Remember that 8 years from now $35 million is only worth $30 million in today's dollars (at 2% inflation which is VERY low when talking about baseball).

My question is, how do we get rid of Albert and Josh's salaries, 4-5 yrs from now when they BOTH are sitting on their couches drawing salary? Will we be financially competitive with all the other teams bidding for high priced free-agents? We have to dump them as soon as we can find a trade suc... partner. IMHO
    Josh's contract isn't very nice. However, it is much better than Pujols. It's only for four more years and Hamilton is younger than Pujols. Also, Hamilton can actually move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    How are salaries ridiculous?

The Angels will make $150 million a year before they sell a single ticket, hot dog or Trout jersey.
    *http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodge...local-tv-deal/

There's a ton of money in baseball right now and the players should absolutely be getting their share of it.
    Salaries have become "one uppers". They are exponentially getting inflated because people want to be paid higher than the last guy. At what point does it stop? I would be all for paying players a base and then having escalators and achievable bonuses attached. You want to make 30 million...you better hit over 330 and hit 40 homeruns and knock in 100 rbi's.

vCash
    Imo he should let himself hit FA. He could prob get 12/350 imo

ACE
    1-1
    7.50 ERA
    12.0 IP
    12 K
    1.33 WHIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Imo he should let himself hit FA. He could prob get 12/350 imo
    He also "could" have a career ending injury before he hits FA. So when someone throws big numbers at you, you listen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast