Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: What do you want to do with the Hanley contract

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend this season

    6 50.00%
  • Extend after this season

    4 33.33%
  • Let him go in FA, get a draft pick, and sign Diaz

    2 16.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,229
    vCash
    500

    Should the Dodgers wait until after the season to offer Hanley a contract?

    I love him as a player, but I don't trust his health. We just signed a SS that seems to be limited offensively but he is still young. I would rather let a 31 year old Hanley walk and invest in Diaz, the other 23 year old Cuban SS that is supposed to be a better hitter than the guy we got today. I just don't trust the nerve injury Hanley has, especially after watching the Lakers and Nash deal with a nerve injury the last 2 years. We could invest in Diaz, and get a draft pick if we let Hanley walk. We will also be trading an Outfielder or 2 in the next year or 2 to hopefully make room for Joc and we should get some pieces for the farm system along with the pick we get for Hanley. Im kind of torn on it, but he gets hurt a lot. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brea,CA
    Posts
    30,702
    vCash
    1500
    In a perfect world we don't sign him going into the season and he hits very well the first bit of the season and than we lock him up, midseason, but of course that brings issues. But if we were to lock him up now, prior to the season, I'd be cool with that too, this guy is uber talented and wants to be in LA, I just wouldn't want to go beyond 5 years. Injuries can pop up for anybody, just hope he stays healthy and in shape.
    #Joc2LA

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,576
    vCash
    1500
    It could be a very risky contract. He'll be 31 next year, and has had health issues.

    But, he's a possible MVP player. It depends on how much the FO wants to give a post 30 yr old guy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,405
    vCash
    1500
    I think a deal gets done before the All Star break. I think the hold up may be about the timeframe for Hanley's move to 3rd base.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,263
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby23 View Post
    I love him as a player, but I don't trust his health. We just signed a SS that seems to be limited offensively but he is still young. I would rather let a 31 year old Hanley walk and invest in Diaz, the other 23 year old Cuban SS that is supposed to be a better hitter than the guy we got today. I just don't trust the nerve injury Hanley has, especially after watching the Lakers and Nash deal with a nerve injury the last 2 years. We could invest in Diaz, and get a draft pick if we let Hanley walk. We will also be trading an Outfielder or 2 in the next year or 2 to hopefully make room for Joc and we should get some pieces for the farm system along with the pick we get for Hanley. Im kind of torn on it, but he gets hurt a lot. What do you guys think?
    He was healthy for basically all of 2012 (157 games) I think it's generally cheaper to get him locked up now opposed to later, though saving on AAV and years probably isn't what ownership is worried about with him. I think the biggest problem going forward is just where does he play? He was neutral defensively last year, but he is about to be 30.
    I seriously doubt that they can move ethier and crawford just for Pederson.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,263
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    I think a deal gets done before the All Star break. I think the hold up may be about the timeframe for Hanley's move to 3rd base.
    Then what do we do with C. Swager(it's growing on me) he will be the largest SS ever by the time he gets up to the majors.
    Last edited by ciaban; 02-13-2014 at 02:55 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    334
    vCash
    1500
    Absolutely no rush, all star break at the earliest. Need to see if Saeger continues to shine and when he is projected to reach MLB. Need to see if our newly acquired SS is a MLB prospect and if so when does he arrive. However, if he is healthy for the 1st half go ahead and lock him up on a 5 year deal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,263
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
    Absolutely no rush, all star break at the earliest. Need to see if Saeger continues to shine and when he is projected to reach MLB. Need to see if our newly acquired SS is a MLB prospect and if so when does he arrive. However, if he is healthy for the 1st half go ahead and lock him up on a 5 year deal.
    C.Swager will be in the Cal league, so I imagine so, and Arrubrruena( I think) is a major league ready defender and base stealer, probably not much more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,483
    vCash
    1500
    Lock him now and when the time comes to move him over to 3rd, do it. I say a deal will get done before Australia.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,785
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    Lock him now and when the time comes to move him over to 3rd, do it. I say a deal will get done before Australia.
    This. I would do 5 (preferring 3) but a happy HanRam hits! And hopefullly a Ring from now he'll be happy playing 3rd in LA. BUT...Ned needs to have the talk with him about the eventual move so that when it happens, he "okayed" it and it wasn't some type of demotion against his wishes. Maybe send Magic in to warm HanRam up about ending his career as an LA Legend.
    Fernando Valenzuela, Troy Aikman & THE Earvin "Magic" Johnson

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,483
    vCash
    1500
    I believe Hanley has already said he would move to 3rd when they need him to if he were to sign an extension.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,483
    vCash
    1500
    It cracks me up that the Yankees are considering Hanley an option at ss to replace Jeter. Just like a few years ago when the Yankees wanted Matt Kemp.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,776
    vCash
    1500
    I think that if we sign him now it will be cheaper compared to after the season. The reason I'm saying this is because there is a pretty good chance we win it all this year and if we do and Hanley has a big role in it, then he will cost more later to sign.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,263
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    Lock him now and when the time comes to move him over to 3rd, do it. I say a deal will get done before Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoMania View Post
    This. I would do 5 (preferring 3) but a happy HanRam hits! And hopefullly a Ring from now he'll be happy playing 3rd in LA. BUT...Ned needs to have the talk with him about the eventual move so that when it happens, he "okayed" it and it wasn't some type of demotion against his wishes. Maybe send Magic in to warm HanRam up about ending his career as an LA Legend.
    Here is a relevant article on the situation.

    http://dodgersdigest.com/2014/02/13/...eagers-future/


    The problem is that moving him to 3rd blocks Seager who will probably be a 3rd basemen eventually anyway, but keeping hanley at SS means that hanley will be at SS when he is 33 and up.

    This is my guess, assuming that Hanley gets a 6 year deal at 25 per-season, including this year with a raise so a 5 year extension on his contract will take him to age 35. With maybe a team option on a 7th with a buy out to up the overall value. So 6 years 145 guaranteed with a 10 million dollar team option, if they excersise the option the total contract could be worth 160 but they likely won't exerciser it.


    In 2014 Hanley is the SS, Uribe is the 3B and Swagger is a SS in the Cal league mashes for most of the year then goes to AA in like August.
    In 2015 Hanly(age 31) will be the SS and Uribe will be the 3rd basemen, Swagger will be in AA as a SS maybe takes some reps at 3rd, for most of the year and if he mashes(it's a hard league he could get stuck) they promote him to the majors sometime in August or maybe Sept. 1st as part of the 40 man call up. He is either starting (in case of injury) or just backing up Uribe and Hanley.
    2016 Uribe is gone, Hanly(age 32) moves off SS to either 3rd or 2nd depending on Guerrero and Seager takes over SS, they ride out Hanlys contract for 3 more years, and eventually move Seager to 3rd with someone else backing him up.
    Last edited by ciaban; 02-14-2014 at 07:29 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glendale Bro
    Posts
    3,474
    vCash
    1500
    4 Years @ $17M get his best years out of him.
    With a player option for 5th, & club option for 6th.

    Don't want to guarantee to many years

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •