Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,351
    vCash
    1500

    Offseason Needs: Everyone rank them and post. Differing Opinions Welcome

    I want to get thread going with what everyone thinks the Saints' needs are but all in one place so we can compare what everyone is thinking.

    1) Cornerback (man coverage corners make Rob Ryan's defense work. We all saw what happened in the Eagles game when Keenan Lewis got hurt. Patrick Robinson IS a bust. We need to go out and get a corner or two. Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft one and sign a veteran)

    2) Wide Receiver (big/physical coverage breaker)

    3a) Safety (I don't think Jenkins will be back unless he comes back cheap. Vaccaro can play either safety position, but I feel like the team likes him at SS

    3b) Inside Linebacker (I've decided that I'm with Under on this. I like Lofton and Hawthorne, but if we can see an injection of speed/cover ability at that position, Rob Ryan could do a lot with that in coverages as well as blitzes. Someone like Arizona's Darryl Washington would be perfect.

    4) Right Tackle (because Strief is a free agent who might get more than he's worth from someone else. Bryce Harris might step up and take the job, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition)

    5) Pass rushing DE/OLB (I don't give a damn. You can NEVER have too many)

    6) Defensive Tackle (especially if Bunkley gets cut for cap reasons, we need another big body in there who can contribute and collapse the pocket from up the middle)

    7) Kicker (obviously we still need one)

    8) Quarterback (I get that the staff loves Ryan Griffin, but Aaron Murray is in this class...)
    Last edited by neovenator250; 02-12-2014 at 07:04 PM.


    Cameron Jordan is awesome

    12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    6,679
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250:27965016
    I want to get thread going with what everyone thinks the Saints' needs are but all in one place so we can compare what everyone is thinking.

    1) Cornerback (man coverage corners make Rob Ryan's defense work. We all saw what happened in the Eagles game when Keenan Lewis got hurt. Patrick Robinson IS a bust. We need to go out and get a corner or two. Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft one and sign a veteran)

    2) Wide Receiver (big/physical coverage breaker)

    3a) Safety (I don't think Jenkins will be back unless he comes back cheap. Vaccaro can play either safety position, but I feel like the team likes him at SS

    3b) Inside Linebacker (I've decided that I'm with Under on this. I like Lofton and Hawthorne, but if we can see an injection of speed/cover ability at that position, Rob Ryan could do a lot with that in coverages as well as blitzes. Someone like Arizona's Darryl Washington would be perfect.

    4) Right Tackle (because Strief is a free agent who might get more than he's worth from someone else. Bryce Harris might step up and take the job, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition)

    5) Pass rushing DE/OLB (I don't give a damn. You can NEVER have too many)

    6) Defensive Tackle (especially if Bunkley gets cut for cap reasons, we need another big body in there who can contribute and collapse the pocket from up the middle)

    7) Kicker (obviously we still need one)

    8) Quarterback (I get that the staff loves Ryan Griffin, but Aaron Murray is in this class...)
    I have it:

    1) Wide Receiver - Colston and Stills are all the Saints have, and it isn't enough. Good defenses or even just good CBs can shut Graham down. When that happens, the WRs aren't good enough to capitalize.

    2) Cornerback - As long as Lewis stays healthy, an average CB is good enough. The line and OLBs could improve, which takes pressure off the CBs. Need better depth, though.

    3) Saftey - Vaccaro and Bush could start in Ryan's 4-2-5, but that means another safety is needed. The Saints are bare, but they don't need a top 5 FS or SS.

    4) Inside Linebacker - I like Lofton and Hawthorne, but their backups aren't good. The depth should be improved.

    5) OLB - Gallette is great and Butler should take the job. Haralson would be an admirable backup.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    WHO DAT NATION
    Posts
    6,150
    vCash
    1500
    The release of so many Vets changes my outlook on team. Namely for me is the loss of Greer he to me was a very good corner and I didn't always think he still had the ability at his age but last season he proved to me his is a very solid CB......That said now my

    #1 is a starting CB to play with Lewis must be a NFL vet not a young draft pick in the 1st round. We need more leadership on this team imo. We need to take money and sign a solid CB free agent like we did with Lewis.

    #2 is ILB from the draft 1st round talent. We have vets at ILB so we can benefit from a change of pace and a guy who is going to push all year to start and be ready. Likely Hawthorne will incur an injury anyway. Just based on his past history.

    #3 is a KR speedy WR that can come out the backfield and make plays in space with YAC.

    #4 is Kicker we need more consistency at that position. Its time we adequately address it.

    #5 is Power RB we need a bruiser if we can get a speedy WR who can catch short routes. If we can't get that at WR we need a speedy pass catching RB.

    #6 is BPA in the draft no matter the position but hopefully its a OG or C for Grubbs or De La Puente insurance. We have only 1 left guard OG and 1 C imo on the roster

    Those are my top needs. Advanced stats to me prove that our current Oline is not that bad 10th in the league overall 8 th in pass blk 14th in run blk needs improvement but that can come from our current roster imo Strief is not as bad to me as he is to some of yall and his advanced stats support that. Same with De La Puente who I thought was lacking and Ben Grubbs is good but imo the most questionable OL starter we have given the importance of his role. If any position needs upgrading in play relative to the money its Grubbs.

    I see no benefit from a deep threat WR. I only see more distraction from the run focus and the quick pass game that Brees excels at.

    Since we are rolling with Brees until his arm falls off, I see no reason to focus on back ups or the future QB until we are ready to fully commit at replacing Brees. Until then we can tryout Vets and see what Griffin progression does.

    I like our Dline and I like our S with Vacarro I think we get adequate play with Bush and whoever else we can do without focusing too much on that.

    I like OLB Butler comes back with Galette Rufus Haralson and others we can find without making it a priority. With Jordan and Galette capable of double digit sacks I like our pass rush at the first and second levels.

    If we have money to spend after really really really addressing 1-6 on my needs list we should spend it in FA adding more veteran leadership primarily on the field but hopefully off the field leaders too. I'd like a solid S in FA in case Jenkins leaves or doesn't play well enough and a OG.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    170
    vCash
    1500
    1. Cb
    2. Ilb
    3. Wr
    4. Ol
    5. S

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    6,679
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞:27965606
    The release of so many Vets changes my outlook on team. Namely for me is the loss of Greer he to me was a very good corner and I didn't always think he still had the ability at his age but last season he proved to me his is a very solid CB......That said now my

    #1 is a starting CB to play with Lewis must be a NFL vet not a young draft pick in the 1st round. We need more leadership on this team imo. We need to take money and sign a solid CB free agent like we did with Lewis.

    #2 is ILB from the draft 1st round talent. We have vets at ILB so we can benefit from a change of pace and a guy who is going to push all year to start and be ready. Likely Hawthorne will incur an injury anyway. Just based on his past history.

    #3 is a KR speedy WR that can come out the backfield and make plays in space with YAC.

    #4 is Kicker we need more consistency at that position. Its time we adequately address it.

    #5 is Power RB we need a bruiser if we can get a speedy WR who can catch short routes. If we can't get that at WR we need a speedy pass catching RB.

    #6 is BPA in the draft no matter the position but hopefully its a OG or C for Grubbs or De La Puente insurance. We have only 1 left guard OG and 1 C imo on the roster

    Those are my top needs. Advanced stats to me prove that our current Oline is not that bad 10th in the league overall 8 th in pass blk 14th in run blk needs improvement but that can come from our current roster imo Strief is not as bad to me as he is to some of yall and his advanced stats support that. Same with De La Puente who I thought was lacking and Ben Grubbs is good but imo the most questionable OL starter we have given the importance of his role. If any position needs upgrading in play relative to the money its Grubbs.

    I see no benefit from a deep threat WR. I only see more distraction from the run focus and the quick pass game that Brees excels at.

    Since we are rolling with Brees until his arm falls off, I see no reason to focus on back ups or the future QB until we are ready to fully commit at replacing Brees. Until then we can tryout Vets and see what Griffin progression does.

    I like our Dline and I like our S with Vacarro I think we get adequate play with Bush and whoever else we can do without focusing too much on that.

    I like OLB Butler comes back with Galette Rufus Haralson and others we can find without making it a priority. With Jordan and Galette capable of double digit sacks I like our pass rush at the first and second levels.

    If we have money to spend after really really really addressing 1-6 on my needs list we should spend it in FA adding more veteran leadership primarily on the field but hopefully off the field leaders too. I'd like a solid S in FA in case Jenkins leaves or doesn't play well enough and a OG.
    Power RB? I think Robinson or PT fills that void.

    I get what you're saying about CB, but how many teams have a WR2 good enough to justify spending on a top CB?

    I think we're similar on ILB, but I don't think the Saints have to reach.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,253
    vCash
    1500
    1. CB

    2. WR--we need someone who can break a jam at the line

    3. Safety

    4. O line

    5. ILB

    6. K

    7. Return Man
    "I am and always will be- The Optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes. The dreamer of improbable dreams."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA.
    Posts
    4,490
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250 View Post
    I want to get thread going with what everyone thinks the Saints' needs are but all in one place so we can compare what everyone is thinking.

    1) Cornerback (man coverage corners make Rob Ryan's defense work. We all saw what happened in the Eagles game when Keenan Lewis got hurt. Patrick Robinson IS a bust. We need to go out and get a corner or two. Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft one and sign a veteran)

    2) Wide Receiver (big/physical coverage breaker)

    3a) Safety (I don't think Jenkins will be back unless he comes back cheap. Vaccaro can play either safety position, but I feel like the team likes him at SS

    3b) Inside Linebacker (I've decided that I'm with Under on this. I like Lofton and Hawthorne, but if we can see an injection of speed/cover ability at that position, Rob Ryan could do a lot with that in coverages as well as blitzes. Someone like Arizona's Darryl Washington would be perfect.

    4) Right Tackle (because Strief is a free agent who might get more than he's worth from someone else. Bryce Harris might step up and take the job, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition)

    5) Pass rushing DE/OLB (I don't give a damn. You can NEVER have too many)

    6) Defensive Tackle (especially if Bunkley gets cut for cap reasons, we need another big body in there who can contribute and collapse the pocket from up the middle)

    7) Kicker (obviously we still need one)

    8) Quarterback (I get that the staff loves Ryan Griffin, but Aaron Murray is in this class...)
    You guys are making BIGBREED proud!
    I officially now have a "Stephen" following me!


    From my Stephen-
    "Ya damn near ran one of the most ride or die for the Saint fans on here. But that's ok, all that gon change!"
    "I'm gon get with ya every time u try to disrespect other Saints fans!"
    "I wish he opens his mouth!"
    "It's a new day Saints Forum!"

    http://youtu.be/7AjWj91B7fo

    Time Will Tell My Accuracy's
    _______________
    99.9%

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    WHO DAT NATION
    Posts
    6,150
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj:27965781
    Power RB? I think Robinson or PT fills that void.

    I get what you're saying about CB, but how many teams have a WR2 good enough to justify spending on a top CB?

    I think we're similar on ILB, but I don't think the Saints have to reach.
    Yea we are pretty similar on ILB. But I just think a quality ILB can make a defense click just like a quality QB can make an offense go. Alonso, Kuechkly, Bowman etc etc ILB LB in general is the most important part of a solid defense imo especially the run D cause they are the best tacklers well they should be.

    As for power RB I feel like we are still too unsure of what to do 3rd and short, short goal line situations, and plus I just want to run the ball a whole lot. I hate passing in short yardage situations on 3rd and goal or 3rd and short unless its playaction. I dont trust PT to stay healthy all season either similar to Hawthorne.

    As for CB for me it comes from

    1. I think this team really needs a big vet leader presence and if we are going to fill a spot why not fill it with CB because

    2. If Lewis were too miss a game or two we need someone we arent afraid of being on #1 WRs

    3. ATL - Julio and White will be back next season. Carolina will should certainly upgrade their WRs this time if they dont they are crazy imo. And Tampa WR core will be solid. Lastly for me I think

    4. If Ryan has two CBs he can trust manned up on the outside he will rain down hell everywhere else if his gameplan last season was any indication namely he should be able to feel comfortable with playing Kenny V in the box more cause that kid can Hit but somewhat similar to Harper imo in coverage he seems to just be ok but when he is somewhat free to roam around I think he really plays at a high level.
    Last edited by Underdogz∞; 02-12-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,253
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    Yea we are pretty similar on ILB. But I just think a quality ILB can make a defense click just like a quality QB can make an offense go. Alonso, Kuechkly, Bowman etc etc ILB LB in general is the most important part of a solid defense imo especially the run D cause they are the best tacklers well they should be.

    As for power RB I feel like we are still too unsure of what to do 3rd and short, short goal line situations, and plus I just want to run the ball a whole lot. I hate passing in short yardage situations on 3rd and goal or 3rd and short unless its playaction. I dont trust PT to stay healthy all season either similar to Hawthorne.

    As for CB for me it comes from

    1. I think this team really needs a big vet leader presence and if we are going to fill a spot why not fill it with CB because

    2. If Lewis were too miss a game or two we need someone we arent afraid of being on #1 WRs

    3. ATL - Julio and White will be back next season. Carolina will should certainly upgrade their WRs this time if they dont they are crazy imo. And Tampa WR core will be solid. Lastly for me I think

    4. If Ryan has two CBs he can trust manned up on the outside he will rain down hell everywhere else if his gameplan last season was any indication namely he should be able to feel comfortable with playing Kenny V in the box more cause that kid can Hit but somewhat similar to Harper imo in coverage he seems to just be ok but when he is somewhat free to roam around I think he really plays at a high level.
    I think that is great in theory, but where are we gonna get a corner this good for money we can afford? Lewis came here on a discount, plus what CBs like this are available? Even if we get one in FA, we still need to draft one--we need multiple guys at the position. White and Sweeting aren't gonna be solid starters next season
    "I am and always will be- The Optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes. The dreamer of improbable dreams."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    WHO DAT NATION
    Posts
    6,150
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsfan33:27966970
    I think that is great in theory, but where are we gonna get a corner this good for money we can afford? Lewis came here on a discount, plus what CBs like this are available? Even if we get one in FA, we still need to draft one--we need multiple guys at the position. White and Sweeting aren't gonna be solid starters next season
    I think a guy like Aqib Talib could be brought in for similar money as Lewis was Talib would take some longer term security 4 or 5 mill per year for 3 or 4 years nothing crazy. Certainly Ike Taylor would be down to come home for even less. Theres a bunch of FA CBs that are better than White........ Just backload it like we always do.

    I guess it derives from how you see this draft I dont see 1st round CB talent being available to us with the 1st pick we have. Last season I thought Dee Milliner was thats why I wanted him but he wasnt there for us anyway. Claiborne Patrick Peterson etc....

    We are running out of time (honestly I think we've reached our max potential) with Brees we need results now. This is not the time for maybes. The only way we gurantee a starting CB is to go buy one. And then take a CB in the later rounds for depth cause there are some big corners that can be got like 3rd rd 4th rd.

    I personally as I said before think White played solid sans one game against ATL where a rookie Wr beat him like a drum other than that he was solid as a starter so as a reserve he would be even better I think. White may start again who is to say he doesnt get better he is young with lots of potential. So I even compare White to a 1st round pick we could likely get and I trust White more at this point and to me that 1st pick needs to be instant impact we are win now mode clocks a ticking.

    We also have to remain mindful of the positions available relative to the draft the likelihood of getting 1st rd talent LB or WR is higher than CB because there are less 1st rd CB grades out there than LB or WR.
    Last edited by Underdogz∞; 02-13-2014 at 04:58 AM.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    WHO DAT NATION
    Posts
    6,150
    vCash
    1500
    When I think about the players we should draft I think about it multiple ways impact, talent, likelihood of being worth it, team need

    So as Ive posted before when it comes to the 1st round we should be mindful that history shows best chance for a impact player worthy of a 1st rd pick meaning return on investment is LB and S.

    We should remember that and look at the instant impact we got from Vacarro.

    Also 1st rd Centers and OG turn out well usually when taken in 1st rd. OT not always so much.

    Defensive end, cornerback, offensive tackle and wide receiver are taken the most in 1st rounds and more often dont live up to the pick value.

    So with a win now team like we have you wanna roll the dice or go with things that are proven to most likely work. Look around the league the impact of the young S and LB is undeniable. The only thing better than 1 or 2 LBs is 4 of them with 4 down lineman running the 4-4 with one bad *** S over the top like Earl Thomas in Seattle anyway
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA.
    Posts
    4,490
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    I think a guy like Aqib Talib could be brought in for similar money as Lewis was Talib would take some longer term security 4 or 5 mill per year for 3 or 4 years nothing crazy. Certainly Ike Taylor would be down to come home for even less. Theres a bunch of FA CBs that are better than White........ Just backload it like we always do.

    I guess it derives from how you see this draft I dont see 1st round CB talent being available to us with the 1st pick we have. Last season I thought Dee Milliner was thats why I wanted him but he wasnt there for us anyway. Claiborne Patrick Peterson etc....

    We are running out of time (honestly I think we've reached our max potential) with Brees we need results now. This is not the time for maybes. The only way we gurantee a starting CB is to go buy one. And then take a CB in the later rounds for depth cause there are some big corners that can be got like 3rd rd 4th rd.

    I personally as I said before think White played solid sans one game against ATL where a rookie Wr beat him like a drum other than that he was solid as a starter so as a reserve he would be even better I think. White may start again who is to say he doesnt get better he is young with lots of potential. So I even compare White to a 1st round pick we could likely get and I trust White more at this point and to me that 1st pick needs to be instant impact we are win now mode clocks a ticking.

    We also have to remain mindful of the positions available relative to the draft the likelihood of getting 1st rd talent LB or WR is higher than CB because there are less 1st rd CB grades out there than LB or WR.
    Dude you're funny! Oh my Gawd...
    What happen to your pipe Dream of being like Seattle by building thru the draft? I swear you don't know what you want.

    Dude stop panicking, please!
    I officially now have a "Stephen" following me!


    From my Stephen-
    "Ya damn near ran one of the most ride or die for the Saint fans on here. But that's ok, all that gon change!"
    "I'm gon get with ya every time u try to disrespect other Saints fans!"
    "I wish he opens his mouth!"
    "It's a new day Saints Forum!"

    http://youtu.be/7AjWj91B7fo

    Time Will Tell My Accuracy's
    _______________
    99.9%

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA.
    Posts
    4,490
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    When I think about the players we should draft I think about it multiple ways impact, talent, likelihood of being worth it, team need

    So as Ive posted before when it comes to the 1st round we should be mindful that history shows best chance for a impact player worthy of a 1st rd pick meaning return on investment is LB and S.

    We should remember that and look at the instant impact we got from Vacarro.

    Also 1st rd Centers and OG turn out well usually when taken in 1st rd. OT not always so much.

    Defensive end, cornerback, offensive tackle and wide receiver are taken the most in 1st rounds and more often dont live up to the pick value.

    So with a win now team like we have you wanna roll the dice or go with things that are proven to most likely work. Look around the league the impact of the young S and LB is undeniable. The only thing better than 1 or 2 LBs is 4 of them with 4 down lineman running the 4-4 with one bad *** S over the top like Earl Thomas in Seattle anyway
    The problem with that lil buddy, Seattle never did run the 4-4 defense. Seattle always played a cover 3 or a cover 2 or a cover 1. Until that Super Bowl they had never blitzed, but they changed things up on Peyton Manning. Seattle believe it our not played a lot of zone. Yes sirrrr, a cover 3 shell with Kam Chancellor taking all of the crossing routes underneath in the middle of the field. (Hint: you Super Bowl statement hit on Thomas on Denver's second possession) And they always dropped their LBers, only rushing 4Dlineman.

    So there go your FoFo analogy, out the window again!
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 02-13-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    I officially now have a "Stephen" following me!


    From my Stephen-
    "Ya damn near ran one of the most ride or die for the Saint fans on here. But that's ok, all that gon change!"
    "I'm gon get with ya every time u try to disrespect other Saints fans!"
    "I wish he opens his mouth!"
    "It's a new day Saints Forum!"

    http://youtu.be/7AjWj91B7fo

    Time Will Tell My Accuracy's
    _______________
    99.9%

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    922
    vCash
    1500
    #1 priority

    Get a new batch of saintsations

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    922
    vCash
    1500
    I'll go with CB, LB , WR

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •