Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Should Jays take a closer look at Drew now that Jeter is retiring

Just thought I would throw this out there, because now that Jeter has said he is retiring next season, Yankees signing Drew to a back loaded contract makes a lot more sense now. Should Drew be more interesting to AA than before or does it even matter!

vCash
    Bigger worry right now is our rotation. AA should be worried bout getting and Impact starter or two. I'm fine with Goins/Isturis for the time being.

vCash
    If AA signs him you know we won't be getting another starter. The ownership group is limiting what AA can do here.

vCash
    I dont really see Jeter's pending retirement as a factor for the Jays. AA should still be interested in Drew IMO, but not any more interested than he was yesterday. Word is Drew wants an opt-out after the first year anyway. Besides, next year guys like Asdrubal Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Jimmy Rollins, Jed Lowry among others will be available to the Yankees at the right price.

vCash
    Certainly SP is our 1st priority, but if AA goes with what we have, would Drew be of interest then!

Just another idea!
    Last edited by wagnall; 02-12-2014 at 04:15 PM.

vCash
    The reason I would sign Drew for 2nd is that if we are out of it by TD, many feel it would be time to re-tool , so you try to unload that enormous contract of Reyes and Buehrle and move Drew to SS and then use the savings the following year, along with other savings and go after FA pitchers like a Bailey, a Scherzer, a Shark. Stroman and Sanchez maybe ready to go and we may have a quality staff in 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
    I dont really see Jeter's pending retirement as a factor for the Jays. AA should still be interested in Drew IMO, but not any more interested than he was yesterday. Word is Drew wants an opt-out after the first year anyway. Besides, next year guys like Asdrubal Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Jimmy Rollins, Jed Lowry among others will be available to the Yankees at the right price.
    Why is this seen as a bad thing to a lot of people? He signs, he hits, he opts out and looks for another SS gig next winter, that would work out pretty well for most teams.
    Last edited by 2009mvp; 02-12-2014 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Why is this seen as a bad thing to so a lot of people?
    Because teams have to give up a draft pick to sign him for likely one year - before he cashes in again next offseason. That's the problem.

I do understand the team that signs him will also give him a q/o and in addition, that team will recoup a draft pick a year later but it still makes a difference. I'm not saying it should be the evil creation people are making it out to be but it does weigh in I'm sure.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Did forget about draft pick stuff, though if you assume his suitors are the Red Sox, Mets, Yankees and Jays, none of those teams would be giving up a first to sign him.

vCash
    Did forget about draft pick stuff, though if you assume his suitors are the Red Sox, Mets, Yankees and Jays, none of those teams would be giving up a first to sign him.
    Well... he makes tons of sense to the Red Sox, even with Bogy there who can slide over to 3rd. I think Middlebrooks is a hack anyways.... and while the Yankees wouldn't have to give up a first (because they signed Ellsbury), they'd still have to give up their 2nd or 3rd rounder, wouldn't they? I'm not sure where McCann and Drew sit in terms of compensation but that would mean they wouldn't be drafting for a while....

Mets and Jays both have their first rounders protected, so they make lots of sense since they'll likely get someone's 1st next offseason if Drew opts out and signs elsewhere. I'd trade a 2nd this year for a 1st AND Stephen Drew in a freaking heartbeat. Sadly, Alex is still waiting.... thankfully, it's early.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    He'd cost the Mets their 3rd, the Jays their 2nd, and the Yankees their 3rd (I think). Thing is, they're still gonna be picking twice in the supplemental round because of Cano/Granderson.

vCash
    He'd cost the Mets their 3rd, the Jays their 2nd, and the Yankees their 3rd (I think). Thing is, they're still gonna be picking twice in the supplemental round because of Cano/Granderson.
    You're right - that's a good point. Really surprising he's still on the market. I sincerely wish the Jays would be all over it, I don't think it can be overstated how much of an upgrade Drew is to our current 2B situation.

Assuming he's willing to shift over, of course.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Wondering what type of deal Drew is looking for money per year wise? If they did pull it off a Lawrie-Reyes-Drew-EE could easily be a top 3 infield in the MLB. Then sign Ubaldo or make a trade AA for a Shark/Bailey and where a pretty damn good looking team with low expectations, a recipe for a title contender.

vCash
    I wanna see the best possible team fielded. I understand the budget is 150 mil, but if Beeston was serious about the funding their if it makes sense. Then look at both Santana, Jimenez (or Yoon) along with Drew. Try moving a reliever or two along with a position player to free up cash or to get a quality SP.
    The thing is freeing up cash from management if it makes sense, to be honest is a silly marketing lip service. Cause it will cost them cents when fans get pissed and numbers dwindle like it did when Doc wanted to leave

vCash
    Why is this seen as a bad thing to a lot of people? He signs, he hits, he opts out and looks for another SS gig next winter, that would work out pretty well for most teams.
    I dont mind an opt out at all, my point was that if you give him an opt out it wouldn't really block him from being a Yankee next season if he really wants to be there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast