5. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 40.00%
  • no

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Harvey the next Seaver

Seaver is (in my opinion) is the greatest player ever to play for the Mets but watching this kid (Harvey) I think he is going to be as good and successful of any Met pitcher in there history, (if he stays healthy) this group reminds me so much of the 60's with the likes of Seaver (Harvey), Koosman (Wheeler), Gentry (Niese), when they came up.

vCash

Call me when Harvey hits 200 wins and we can restart this thread.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Step 1: Harvey must remain healthy
    Step 2: Harvey must post similar stats for 2 decades+
    Step 3: Harvey may be the next Seaver, but will he be our Seaver? He'd have to remain a Met for his career, so again 2+ decades.

All of these things are difficult to do for that long and Harvey's already had TJ surgery. But Harvey undeniably has the stuff to be Seaver-esque. That said, so did Doc, but a few lines of coke changed that quickly and he wasn't the same guy a decade later.

So Seaver? A bit premature. But right now, he is certainly our savior. I only hope he is the next Seaver. At least that would be something to tell my grandchildren about besides how many hairs I pulled from my head after 2007 and 2008.

vCash
    Also Seaver won 16 games as a 22 year old. Harvey in 2015 will be 25. While that doesn't seem significant, over the course of 20 years it is. I doubt Harvey will be pitching at age 45, so I don't see him getting to 300 wins. Not saying it isn't possible, but he'd have to be Randy Johnson from here on out--a very tough but possible feat.
    Last edited by yfern328; 02-12-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by playD View Post
    Seaver is (in my opinion) is the greatest player ever to play for the Mets but watching this kid (Harvey) I think he is going to be as good and successful of any Met pitcher in there history, (if he stays healthy) this group reminds me so much of the 60's with the likes of Seaver (Harvey), Koosman (Wheeler), Gentry (Niese), when they came up.
    I appreciate your optimism on Harvey, but he has a lot to prove.

No more Harvey getting 'sliced and diced' by a surgeon. He must remain healthy first and foremost.

Tom Terrific was the ROY at age 22. Won his first CY award at age 24. Harvey's 24 and on the shelf until next year.

Harvey has to prove he's as good as Clayton Kershaw first before we even consider putting him in the same breadth as the GREATEST Mets player EVER.

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash

No, but he could be the next Gooden, and I don't mean he will so coke and all that, but could be a guy that has a few good to great seasons early and fades away.

To be a Seaver well he has to have about a decade of greatness.

vCash
    I would like to see Harvey actually pitch in an entire season 1st before we start calling him that.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    No, but he could be the next Gooden, and I don't mean he will so coke and all that, but could be a guy that has a few good to great seasons early and fades away.

To be a Seaver well he has to have about a decade of greatness.
    Or he could have a nice, long career.

Why label him so early as the next Gooden?

Why label him as a guy who won't have a long, consistent career?
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash

Way, way premature

Harvey hasn't done what Seaver did at a younger age, and is now recovering from major arm surgery. By the time he is recovered, he'll be even older and won't have as many wins as Seaver did by his mid-20s. Like others have commented, let's check back in a decade or so and see how he's done.

vCash
    I just said yes because I could lol

I highly doubt Harvey comes close to Seaver. Hopefully Thor can be that guy since he's much younger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I just said yes because I could lol

I highly doubt Harvey comes close to Seaver. Hopefully Thor can be that guy since he's much younger.
    We got Valverde. Why worry? Let's start the season!

All kidding aside, Harvey has the stuff to be Seaver like. Everything else needs to fall into place. I don't think Seaver had the type of injury / procedure done so we don't know what Harvey will be like when he comes back. Off of what he did until he went down last year - Harvey for sure was Seaver-like and maybe a tad better at a similar point in their careers.

vCash
    It's way too early to make the comparison and I'd like to see what Harvey is when he comes back from injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Also Seaver won 16 games as a 22 year old. Harvey in 2015 will be 25. While that doesn't seem significant, over the course of 20 years it is. I doubt Harvey will be pitching at age 45, so I don't see him getting to 300 wins. Not saying it isn't possible, but he'd have to be Randy Johnson from here on out--a very tough but possible feat.
    We may have seen our last 300 game winner.

Slightly off topic, but relevant. I think over the next 10-15 years, we're going to see 200-250 wins as the threashold for hall of fame balloting.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    I didn't mean to say he would win 300 games and Seaver won alot of his games playing for thr Reds and Whitesox. What I was trying to say was that does he have that type of talent and leadership and how this young pitching group reminds me of the Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, and Ryan group back in the late 60's when those guys came up

vCash
    I didn't mean to say he would win 300 games and Seaver won alot of his games playing for thr Reds and Whitesox. What I was trying to say was that does he have that type of talent and leadership and how this young pitching group reminds me of the Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, and Ryan group back in the late 60's when those guys came up
    Seaver won 198 games with the Mets.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast