Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Gabe Carimi

vCash

Gabe Carimi

I just thought I'd throw this out there for comments, Gabe Carimi was released by the Bucs yesterday and can play either Tackle or Guard spot on the O line. Thoughts about bringing this guy in and kicking the tires?

At one time, he was considered a top prospect along with being the 2010 Outland Trophy winner. He hasn't really lit it up in his first couple of seasons but has had 3 offensive coordinators coupled with 2 different teams and a season ending injury.

In the right situation, he could regain his old form and be a diamond in the rough. Thoughts?

vCash
    sure why not. should be cheap.

vCash
    Tony Mandarich?

vCash
    Bring him in. At the worst we cut these guys in camp, at best they start. Louis, Carimi, Breckner. We need all the help we can get.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolms View Post
    Tony Mandarich?
    Nice memory! Though Gabe wasn't as highly touted coming out of College as Tony was it would be nice if a similar scenario happened ?
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Heck yeah it would! I personally say don't waste time bring the guy in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolms View Post
    Tony Mandarich?
    Mandrich did have a couple pretty good years here, and on a side note was a surprisingly nice guy who would stand around and talk to fans before practice and would go through any football cards we had and sign every one (I'm from Anderson and was about 12-13 at the time)....we knew this so we stopped at the card shops around Anderson and bought all their training camp displays out of Mandrich...well because the cards were cheap and it was fun to see him telling us which card companies were lazy and using old pictures because he was missing a tattoo.

Now on topic....Could he move to guard? I think he has played it once or twice for his teams in the NFL, but not sure if the move went well or not. If he is brought in for a tackle, it would be for depth and not to turn his career around...if he could embrace the G position I think he may be a bit tall for that position but has all the tools. No reason not to at least offer him a minimum and see what happens in camp.

vCash
    Yup, he can kick inside to Guard. I remember when he was coming out for the draft one of his "selling points" was he could play 4 positions on the O line (both guards and tackles) and had done so at certain points. I believe he also played some R Guard for the Bears. This dude was drafted #29 overall in the 2011 Draft (7 picks after Castonzo), was the 2010 Outland Trophy winner and a Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the year.

Sure, he's had some difficulties in his first years in the league. But, as I said before he had Mike Martz his first year in Chicago (before suffering a season ending injury after 2 games I believe), Mike Tice the following year running the Offense in Chicago then was traded to Tampa Bay and had Mike Sullivan in charge of the Offense. We all know it takes O linemen time to develop, I suppose it's possible (much like any other player) learning 3 offensive systems in 3 years would be disruptive to his overall development. IMO, he should already be working out in Indy maybe with some consistency and time to develop we could get at the very least some good quality depth for our O line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltsfreak View Post
    Yup, he can kick inside to Guard. I remember when he was coming out for the draft one of his "selling points" was he could play 4 positions on the O line (both guards and tackles) and had done so at certain points. I believe he also played some R Guard for the Bears. This dude was drafted #29 overall in the 2011 Draft (7 picks after Castonzo), was the 2010 Outland Trophy winner and a Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the year.

Sure, he's had some difficulties in his first years in the league. But, as I said before he had Mike Martz his first year in Chicago (before suffering a season ending injury after 2 games I believe), Mike Tice the following year running the Offense in Chicago then was traded to Tampa Bay and had Mike Sullivan in charge of the Offense. We all know it takes O linemen time to develop, I suppose it's possible (much like any other player) learning 3 offensive systems in 3 years would be disruptive to his overall development. IMO, he should already be working out in Indy maybe with some consistency and time to develop we could get at the very least some good quality depth for our O line.
    Sounds like a pretty nice upgrade to Linkenbach's spot even if he didn't win the starting job.

vCash
    I was very high on Gabe coming out of school. In-fact I was very hell-bent on drafting him. I didn't think Anthony Castonzo would fall to us. Yet, I'm very happy we didn't take him. From what I read about the guy when he was in Chicago was frightening. He's are horrid pass blocker, lacks toughness, lack arm length and at this point his confidence should be shot. He requested to train home during rough patches with the Bears heading into his second year.

Second chance players are always intriguing, you often like to think they have a chip on their shoulder, or something to prove. Yet, some are cut loose for a reason. With priority 1 being to keep Luck upright and healthy, I say NO THANKS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    I was very high on Gabe coming out of school. In-fact I was very hell-bent on drafting him. I didn't think Anthony Castonzo would fall to us. Yet, I'm very happy we didn't take him. From what I read about the guy when he was in Chicago was frightening. He's are horrid pass blocker, lacks toughness, lack arm length and at this point his confidence should be shot. He requested to train home during rough patches with the Bears heading into his second year.

Second chance players are always intriguing, you often like to think they have a chip on their shoulder, or something to prove. Yet, some are cut loose for a reason. With priority 1 being to keep Luck upright and healthy, I say NO THANKS.
    Huh, I'd not read any of this. He was injured his rookie year and placed on IR, his 2nd year had a different O coordinator after Martz retired (so new offensive scheme) and then was shipped to Tampa Bay the following year to learn a 3rd Offensive scheme. Given the time it takes for an O lineman to adjust, I have to disagree on the review of his skills.

I would be more apt to suggest that the guy just has not had enough time to develop and settle into a system. I believe there are plenty of players out there who have struggled when placed in similar situations over the years.

Bringing a guy in like this on the cheap and seeing what they can do by allowing them to settle into one system really costs next to nothing. If it's determined that he's just not that good, cut bait and let him walk when the seasons cuts are made.

But, given the current status of our O line, we should be looking seriously at anyone who could be a potential upgrade. Besides we've already brought in both Lance Louis (who is considered by many to be a flier since the ACL tear) and Jack Breckner out of the Arena League. Nothing wrong with giving the guy a look, if he were settle in and work out, that would give us 2 of the top 29 picks of the 2011 draft playing on our O line. I don't believe anyone else from that draft aside from Costanzo is even on our roster any longer.

Here's 2 links to Carimi profiles when he was entering the 2011 draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...imi?id=2495132

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...imi?id=2495132

vCash
    Gabe Carimi: Guard, tackle -- or neither?

The Chicago Bears' emergency shift of Gabe Carimi begs a question, but perhaps not the one you're thinking. At some point, the Bears might have to address whether he can be a long-term answer at guard despite an atypical body type. More pressing, however, is whether Carimi has already demonstrated that he can't play tackle.

Carimi's embarrassing performance Nov. 19 against the San Francisco 49ers was the most visible evidence of what has been a season-long problem. In 10 starts this season, Carimi was by some measures one of the NFL's worst pass-blocking tackles. His reputation as a strong run blocker is well-earned, but a tackle who can't protect the edge at least most of the time will have a hard time staying on the field.

Pro Football Focus (PFF), which charts the result of each block for every game, has Carimi with 44 quarterback disruptions on 347 snaps as a pass-blocker this season. That figure includes seven sacks, 28 pressures and nine quarterback hits, and it qualifies him for the third-worst pass-blocking efficiency among NFL tackles this season.

"He is simply awful in protection," said Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. "He gets beat with power, speed, you name it."

Sometimes a below-average pass-blocker can be protected if he moves to guard, but Williamson suggested that Carimi's 6-foot-7 frame could be a hindrance there.

"Being so tall on the interior is really tough when trying to get leverage against B.J. Raji/Vince Wilfork types," Williamson said. "If/when he plays high, NFL defensive tackles are going to totally walk him deep into the pocket. And now that liability is even closer to the quarterback than when he was at right tackle."

Carimi is expected to start at right guard Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, mostly because the Bears' options are limited. Two guards who have started games this season, Lance Louis and Chilo Rachal, won't play again in 2012. A third, Chris Spencer, has a knee injury that could sideline him for a week or two.

In the long-term, however, the Bears must decide whether a poor 10-game stretch is enough to render final judgment on a former first-round draft pick who has made a total of 12 NFL starts. My guess is Carimi will get another chance, especially considering how well he has blocked for the run.

Williamson said Carimi has been "an excellent run-blocker" and thus should still be considered a prospect with "starting right tackle abilities." PFF rates him third among all NFL tackles in run-blocking. As a right tackle in a run-based offense, Carimi doesn't have to be an elite pass-blocker. But he does need to be much better than he was this season.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bear...kle-or-neither

Carimi never was able to make a positive impact with the Bears, who traded him to the Bucs for a sixth-round draft choice last offseason. Carimi was mostly a backup for the Bucs, appearing in 14 games and starting three.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...bay-buccaneers

This month, a cross-section of 25 scouts, almost all with national orientation, was asked by the Journal Sentinel if Carimi would be successful at left tackle. Fourteen said no, 11 said yes.

"No way. No way," an NFC personnel director said. "I can't understand the love. He's slow-footed. He's not powerful for a guy his size. He's on the ground all the time. I just don't see it. I know some people will try to compare the two, but (Bryan) Bulaga was a lot better.........

After having had many opportunities to be around Carimi, something about him just rubs a lot of scouts the wrong way.

One referred to him as "aloof." Another called him "arrogant." A third said he took pains to compartmentalize Carimi as the person ("he's a politician") and the player ("he's pretty good").

"He thinks he's a (expletive) Pro Bowler before he gets in the league," another personnel executive said. "It really bothers me. It affects my judgment. For me, he ain't in the mix. I think he will be a successful left tackle, but I think he will be a diva and a pain in the (expletive).
    "

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...#ixzz2tXqwTzC3

These are obviously just notable quotes and articles I've read that always left a bad taste in my mouth. I think people can improve and come into their own. Yet, I simply cannot justify bringing in a Tackle whom has never been known to pass block, when we have the franchise in #12 who needs to be healthy and upright. I'd rather spend money to get a proven commodity.
    Last edited by DieHardColtsfan; 02-16-2014 at 10:10 PM.

vCash
    It's been reported that he signed with the Falcons. One of the few team's whose Offensive lines is as bad as ours.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck