Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should happen with Casey at the end of the season?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend for sure after the season

5 31.25%
  • Extend only if we win the 1st round of the playoffs

2 12.50%
  • Extend only if we win the 2nd round and/or more

6 37.50%
  • Fire/Let him walk. We need an upgrade at Head Coach to take the next step

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

The REAL Elephant in the Room

Dwane Casey's expiring contract.

Coach was the most hated man in town before the Rudy Gay trade and was seen as a lame duck coach coming into this year. Even after the Rudy Gay trade was made it seemed like the team was being blown up but with us winning now and in 3rd place it should be an interesting decision to see what happens after the year. Will Masai bring in "his guy"? Or will he stick with what's working at the moment? What do you think should happen? Does it depend on the playoff run we make (assuming we make the playoffs, which should happen bar a disaster or Lowry trade). What do you think should happen with Casey?

vCash
    Too early to decide. Depends on the direction of the team after the season.

If the core is kept intact I think it makes sense to have continuity with the coaching staff as well.

If Masai makes deals to take us back a step or two and build around younger players I think you let him walk while giving him a solid reference to help him get his next job.

vCash
    Depends on what direction we take. If we resign Lowry then its definitely a team built to compete now rather than later. If that is the case, then I would only let Casey walk if there was someone else of better qualifications that could take his place.

I just want consistency and we are not going to get it if we keep axing our coaches and a high turnover of players since we were getting scrubs pre-Rudy Gay

vCash
    I still believe that we are going to let him walk. He's been all over the place during his contract and a first round exit (at best) is not going solidify a contract extension.
    \

vCash
    I would simply wait it out after the season and see who else is available. If you can't find someone who is better than Casey, then probably give him a short deal. I still don't think he is the coach for the future. All depends on what is out there and the direction of the team.

vCash
    I think you gotta wait and see how he performs in the playoffs. That will be a test for him to see how good he can actually be in regards to adjustments & lineups/match-ups etc.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    need to see how he performs in the playoffs. regardless of that, he has earned himself a head coaching spot somewhere next season.

post season is about talent, but alot has to do with coaching and strategy - roster management.

vCash
    with that said, signing him to a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option would've kill us either.

vCash
    I like how Casey has the team playind D. And for the first time the raptors are actually a good 4th quarter team. With that said, I think Casey reallly needs a strong assistant coach because his rotations arent great and offensive schemes seem to be an issue.

To be honest though, I havent really liked any of our head coaches. Why cant we get someone proven ? I dont get it. were always trying these rookie head coaches. Smitch, Triano, Casey.. meh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mjt20mik View Post
    I still believe that we are going to let him walk. He's been all over the place during his contract and a first round exit (at best) is not going solidify a contract extension.
    Are you encinuating that the raps have ZERO chance of winning a playoff round ? Or did I misinterpret that ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    I would simply wait it out after the season and see who else is available. If you can't find someone who is better than Casey, then probably give him a short deal. I still don't think he is the coach for the future. All depends on what is out there and the direction of the team.
    +1

weigh the options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mjt20mik View Post
    I dont think he will be back either. But I do think the raps have a chance to advance past the first round. we will probably face Chicago, Brooklyn, or Charlotte. we can beat those teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RAPS424 View Post
    Are you encinuating that the raps have ZERO chance of winning a playoff round ? Or did I misinterpret that ?
    U misinterpreted...he means a first round exit won't save Casey's job here

vCash
    Do I need to post... Oh well I'll take the opertunity.

What's scary to me is the team has over achieved to a certain degree. If not now, by the end if the season most will say they overachieved. I think Masai and Tim are smart and about the big picture enough to know what it takes to build a winning franchise and attract talent.

Casey would be a great defensive lead assistant for a true top 5 head coach which is what I expect them to be diligently searching for.

Casey talks about Kentucky quite a bit.... Could the raps be working in bringing Calipari in as the new head coach??? Would he be a top 5 coach in the nba? Lots of great alumni to sort through.

Raptors coaching is one of the ways ownership can make a huge splash and boost this team. I hope they don't settle who's bottom 10 in the league because he's currently here and want consistency. Consistency would be keeping him here to run the defense, that's the extent I want Casey's involvement with the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan View Post
    Too early to decide. Depends on the direction of the team after the season.

If the core is kept intact I think it makes sense to have continuity with the coaching staff as well.

If Masai makes deals to take us back a step or two and build around younger players I think you let him walk while giving him a solid reference to help him get his next job.
    Good post. It all depends on the direction that Masai decides.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast