Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Exclamation Game 52: Bucks vs Pelicans

VS

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

8:00 PM ET - BMO Harris Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI

vCash
    Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 17h
    Ersan Ilyasova has a chance to play tomorrow against the Pelicans. If he can't, #Bucks will just have Pachulia and Raduljica as bigs. #Bucks

vCash
    ST. FRANCIS, Wis. -- Who will the Milwaukee Bucks have available Wednesday night against New Orleans? To coach Larry Drew, that's the million dollar question.

The Bucks were unable to do anything team-related at practice Tuesday, as just seven players were healthy enough to participate.

John Henson (right foot), Ekpe Udoh (left ankle sprain), Caron Butler (left ankle sprain) and O.J. Mayo (conditioning) will not play against the Pelicans, while Ersan Ilyasova (back) is questionable. Rookie Giannis Antetokounmpo didn't practice Monday with a right wrist injury but is expected to play.

If Ilyasova is unable to go, Milwaukee will have two healthy big men in Zaza Pachulia and Miroslav Raduljica. Drew said he will be forced to go with a small starting lineup -- likely starting Khris Middleton at power forward -- if Ilyasova is out.

"There's nothing you can do from a true practice standpoint," Drew said. "What we do in those situations is just get some shots up and lift weights. As far as doing anything from a team standpoint, there's just nothing you can do. We're so beat up, banged up and depleted that there's nothing you can do."

The All-Star break couldn't be coming at a better time for the Bucks. Heading into a game or even a practice with so few players available takes its toll on everyone involved. Milwaukee will have four days before returning to practice next Monday.

"They are tough to deal with," Drew said of the injuries. "Day-to-day you just don't know who you are going to have and what you are going to have. You still have to approach it, no matter what the situation is, you have to be prepared for it.

"When you sit over there and you have more guys in street clothes than you do in uniforms, certainly there's some mental searching going on. We know what our situation has been all year long. You go into a game with just two bigs, that puts you behind the eight ball a little bit."

Drew was asked Monday if he's had conversations with management regarding his job status. In the middle of the first year of a three-year contract, Drew said no such chat has taken place despite the team's 9-42 record.

"It hasn't come up," Drew said. "I'm not even concerned about that. I think right now I'm trying to keep things in perspective as far as who we are and where we are. I don't concern myself with things I can't control. I try to keep my eyes on the task and the task is coaching this team. As long as I'm in this line of work, there's always going to be rumblings when things aren't going well."

In his fourth season as an NBA head coach, Drew admitted he's never experienced anything close to what the Bucks have gone through this year. He felt last season in Atlanta was "a storm" with 11 new players, 11 expiring contracts and his contract due up at the end of the season.

But this has been an eye-opening season with all the injuries and struggles.

"This injury thing has been unbelievable," Drew said. "That's just another chapter in my book as things I've had to endure as a coach. You go through a lot of different situations if you have been in the league long enough. I'm going through situations as we speak right now as a coach. Just from a coaching standpoint, it's been a challenge. It hasn't been easy. I think I've weathered the storm and I will continue to do that every time I step out on the floor with these guys."

While fans turned their sights to the future and the upcoming draft long ago, it's tough for players to look ahead while in the middle of their season, especially those fighting for their place in the NBA.

"It's tough because who is really looking a year down the road or two years down the road," Bucks guard Brandon Knight said. "You are thinking about the now. Especially a player like myself, I want to see how we can improve right now. But when you start to have negative thoughts, that's when you have to think of the positive side or the future."

Drew was able to take more of a look toward the future, but he still sees the importance in focusing on the task at hand this season. The current task is finding a way to compete with an improved Pelicans team with a shorthanded roster and just two available big men.

"You can kind of see it," Drew said. "You know where you are as far as the team is concerned thus far, and chances are what's going to happen after the season are over, all the possibilities as far as the draft is concerned, where you are cap wise -- all those things you have an idea of. But I'm the type that doesn't look too far ahead. I just take it a day at a time."
    http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/s...ractice-021114

vCash
    O.J. Mayo (conditioning)

If you are a multimillion dollar professional athlete with every resource at your disposal and you are not in shape, then you simply don't care. What an embarrassment.

vCash
    The 3rd qtr killed us we gave up 37 points n turned the ball over 4 times for 9 points where we only turned it over 3 times for 2 points in the first half..

Nate and Brandon both played well.
    Middleton and Giannas both played average.
    Ersan had a decent first half but faded in the 2nd half.
    Zaza was ok not horrible but didnt play up to his normal standards
    Neal was on fire tonight
    Raduljica played his average game.

This team really needs to get out and on the fast break more. When they pushed the ball tonight they were getting to the rim or transition open jumpshots!
    Was nice to see Wolters knock down 2 3 balls!

The part of this game that really pisses me off is that with 25 or so seconds left we called a timeout leaving us with 2 remaining. We were down by 2 and drew set up a play for them to run and the ball ended up getting knocked out of bounds with just 9 seconds left in the game and the shot clock was very low I believe it was 4 or so seconds left. We had 2 timeouts remaining and coach drew called a play from the sidelines and we went to run the play and the whole team was on different pages which ended up in middleton getting open n trying to drive n then pass to knight but they were like 3 feet away from each other and knights defender swipped the ball n knocked it free n took it which lead to them knocking down both free throws giving them a 4 point lead with 7 or so seconds left.

I understand we want to lose games but we are going to finish with the worst record regardless so we need to win games when we can or go into overtime when we can and give us a chance to win! Drew should have called a timeout and drew up a play for the team to run, and made sure they were all on the same page and knew what they were doing! We had a full and 20 second timeout left. There was no need to preserve them at that time bc if we didnt score it was going to be a foul and chase and most likely meant we would lose so there was no reason to save them at all! Imo that was a rookie coaching mistake. It's also not the first time he has made mistakes like this! Posters in here are saying hes doing the best he can with what he has n that everyone is ok with him switching up rotations trying to find something that works. I personally don't agree with that but it's mistakes like these that will make him lose the locker room! I really hope we look at all our options this off season because I don't think drew is a good coach and was just a product of taking over a 2 to 6 seed Atlanta team. For the rest of the season I'm going to keep personal track of the mistakes in the last 30 games. Im also going to keep track of the positives and give an assessment of the job I think he did from tonight to the end of the season maybe my mind will change but mistakes like that can not be made by professional head coaches! Just think if that was a playoff game 7...
    Last edited by ROY 2 MVP Braun; 02-13-2014 at 03:15 AM.
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    Also for the record, the play he drew up with 25 seconds left was from side court with plenty of time on both the clock and shot clock. When we inbounded with 9 seconds left it was from the baseline with a low shot clock. So we couldnt have tried to run the same play is my point.
    Last edited by ROY 2 MVP Braun; 02-13-2014 at 03:50 AM.

vCash
    1 last thing is going into the season everyone was saying Drew was a good coach and was excited to see what he could do with knight because of what Jeff Teague did, and the improvements that he made with coach Drew. I honestly think that was more of Teague putting in the work to get better himself while just getting more playing time. As opposed to Drew being this good coach that specializes in grooming point guards.

vCash
    Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 7h
    #Bucks are the fifth team since 2000-01 to be eliminated from a division race before the All-Star break

vCash
    Gary Neal increased his trade stock a tad.