Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    1500

    The Draft Wheel?

    http://bostonherald.com/sports/celti...me_limit_s_off

    Scroll down to bottom.


    Cuban draft debate

    Michael Zarren, the Celtics assistant general manager and team counsel, whose alternative draft system is being considered by the NBA, has caught the attention of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

    Cuban, however, disagrees with one aspect of the proposal, which gives every team a predetermined spot atop the draft every 30 years.

    “I would tweak (the draft),” he said. “I know Mike Zarren came up with the wheel, and I didn’t like the idea because if you’re in the wrong spot in your life cycle and all of a sudden when you don’t need the draft pick you get the draft pick, and then when you need it you’re 30 years away, that’s tough. Yeah, you can plan for it, but the law of unintended consequences could mean that teams just don’t ever have a shot for a long time.”
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

    Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

    Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    new hampshire
    Posts
    8,937
    vCash
    1700
    draft wheel is a decent idea but it needs to be tweaked. LIke Cuban said...if you make a mistake you could be in trouble for 30 years!
    El Presidente

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    draft wheel is a decent idea but it needs to be tweaked. LIke Cuban said...if you make a mistake you could be in trouble for 30 years!
    I suppose the easy way of tweaking the draft wheel idea would be to utilize two draft wheels - one for each conference. That would give a team either the 1st or 2nd pick once every 15 years. Then base the order on the losing conference in the NBA Championship getting the 1st pick that year.

    It could get very interesting as rules regulating the trading of those picks or swapping years might need to be put in place to maintain the spirit of proposal.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 02-10-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

    Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

    Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,384
    vCash
    1500
    Awful idea. We'll end up with more San Antonio's this way.

    My idea would be to award the draft order by the record, with no lottery mixed in as the baseline.

    Once a team gets in the bottom 3, the highest they can get the next year is #4. (So 1, 2, 3 this year, would be no better than 4, 5, 6 next year). If a team ends up in the bottom 3 by record two years running, the 3rd year the best they can get is #10. The 4th year the prior 3 year history would be dropped and they can finish with the highest pick for the worst record again.

    It's not perfect but at least there is a correlation between sucking and getting big picks w/ some punishment for perennially sucking.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    927
    vCash
    1500
    My idea is to kind of mimic the NFL/NHL and just make the league deeper with more stars, more chances for more clubs to land FA's just because they can offer more money. More good teams would create a bigger gap between the upper/middle class and the true bottom feeders. Seeding would come down to the last minute, bigger dogfight to get into the tourney and some hot team with a good coach could make his team believe they can beat a club that they have no business beating instead of the elite always rising to the top.

    Not sure how they would do it, maybe tweak the rules a bit to a euro style? The league getting together to give more players the "Superstar calls"? Lower the salary cap or limit even further things like mid level exceptions etc?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    43
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368:27951565
    Awful idea. We'll end up with more San Antonio's this way.

    My idea would be to award the draft order by the record, with no lottery mixed in as the baseline.

    Once a team gets in the bottom 3, the highest they can get the next year is #4. (So 1, 2, 3 this year, would be no better than 4, 5, 6 next year). If a team ends up in the bottom 3 by record two years running, the 3rd year the best they can get is #10. The 4th year the prior 3 year history would be dropped and they can finish with the highest pick for the worst record again.

    It's not perfect but at least there is a correlation between sucking and getting big picks w/ some punishment for perennially sucking.


    I like this idea... I've been trying to think of something and I just couldn't make ends meet but this really is a great idea!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    WOOSTA
    Posts
    2,670
    vCash
    1500
    I think the wheel is stupid....I think it would be simpler to do something like all lottery teams have equal odds. That would stop tanking(might cause people to tank out of the 8th seed but fans wouldn't like that) or maybe bracket it like the bottom 1-5 have the same odds 6-10 the same odds n 11-14 the same odds.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    416
    vCash
    1500
    How about they make the actual lottery pick selections live and not behind closed doors

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    21,174
    vCash
    1500
    Tanking will go away when the league isn't structured such that you have no real chance of winning without a superstar player. If the league really wants to get rid of tanking, the best action they could take is to stop with the superstar calls they give out. They directly contribute to the value of a superstar being so high and then complain that teams try to get a superstar.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Tanking will go away when the league isn't structured such that you have no real chance of winning without a superstar player. If the league really wants to get rid of tanking, the best action they could take is to stop with the superstar calls they give out. They directly contribute to the value of a superstar being so high and then complain that teams try to get a superstar.
    A strict hard cap without exceptions would help, too.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

    Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

    Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    16
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    A strict hard cap without exceptions would help, too.
    I always thought they should pre-layer contracts, Kind of like scholarships, Every Team gets
    1max contract OR 2 at 12 mil
    then 2 9mill per contracts
    3 6mill per contracts..etc... basically equaling the salary cap so every team has to spend the exact amount and the only negotiation with teams and players is what contract level a player is.. that would stop the unbalance of teams.. and make sure all teams spend the exact amount of money, with w few exceptions for retirements injuries... etc..
    The lottery should be all lottery teams getting equal chance one ball for each team.. that's a real lottery like celtics4lyfe said

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    new hampshire
    Posts
    8,937
    vCash
    1700
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Awful idea. We'll end up with more San Antonio's this way.

    My idea would be to award the draft order by the record, with no lottery mixed in as the baseline.

    Once a team gets in the bottom 3, the highest they can get the next year is #4. (So 1, 2, 3 this year, would be no better than 4, 5, 6 next year). If a team ends up in the bottom 3 by record two years running, the 3rd year the best they can get is #10. The 4th year the prior 3 year history would be dropped and they can finish with the highest pick for the worst record again.

    It's not perfect but at least there is a correlation between sucking and getting big picks w/ some punishment for perennially sucking.
    this idea still promotes tanking… But only one year of tanking
    El Presidente

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NoreastSports View Post
    I always thought they should pre-layer contracts, Kind of like scholarships, Every Team gets
    1max contract OR 2 at 12 mil
    then 2 9mill per contracts
    3 6mill per contracts..etc... basically equaling the salary cap so every team has to spend the exact amount and the only negotiation with teams and players is what contract level a player is.. that would stop the unbalance of teams.. and make sure all teams spend the exact amount of money, with w few exceptions for retirements injuries... etc..
    The lottery should be all lottery teams getting equal chance one ball for each team.. that's a real lottery like celtics4lyfe said
    In theory a good idea, but no way the players association goes for this, imo.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

    Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

    Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,384
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    this idea still promotes tanking… But only one year of tanking
    Or a team just happens to fall down the drain, somebody has to be last after all.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,274
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    this idea still promotes tanking… But only one year of tanking
    or tanking to your max pick for next year. I think bags is on the right track because this would be better than the status quo.

    I could see something like this added to the existing lottery system, where your chances are partially adjusted to previous years drafts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •