Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ownership backs Gillis

BEST RESPONSE

I saw speculation that Mike Gillis’s job “could” be in trouble if the Canucks don’t make the playoffs.

I can only write about my experiences and after talking to Francesco Aquilini on this trip, I left with the feeling that is not the case.

He is as upbeat as he’s ever been, and is onside the line of thinking that what we’ve seen lately is not a true representation of where the Canucks are really at.

Gillis, for his part, remains very confident in his group.

“We’ll be all right,” he vowed.

I’m not saying he’s not planning a move or two. He is.

But it’s not going to be much more and he’s not reacting to anything we’ve seen in the past six weeks.

“Trading your core is how you end up at the bottom of the league.”
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/02...ne-is-yawning/

Uninspiring stuff.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    the kiss of death?

vCash
    Gillis is blackmailing his boss, no other possibility. lol.

vCash

Ownership backs Gillis

TSN now ranks the Canucks 23rd in the NHL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Canucks have the 2nd worst power play and 2nd fewest 3rd period goals. I'd rank them bottom 3.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Canucks have the 2nd worst power play and 2nd fewest 3rd period goals. I'd rank them bottom 3.
    But at least we still have our core!!!

vCash
    Maybe the Canucks need new ownership too, if they're feeling upbeat about the current status of the team. Gillis, in his delusional response saying the Canucks will be all right? What does that even mean? The players, management and owners will be all right? Sure, they'll get paid, because die-hard passionate Canucks fans pay big bucks to watch their team.

I'm reminded of a few past teams, Calgary comes to mind, where they hung on to Iginla for as long as possible, years of flirting near the bottom of the standings. Is that the fate of the Canucks? Hang on to your aging core and sink slowly? I guess with all those NTCs he's awarded the veteran players, Gillis may not have much choice.

vCash
    ^^ The funny thing is that he seems to be resting on his laurels and the media isn't challenging that.

What laurels though?

The team has the winningest streak in its history, the highest scoring offence and a Vezina winning tandem in 2010. But as we're seeing this year, that was a very inaccurate measure of their achievement because they were playing in such an historically weak division that those numbers have to be scrutinized.

I really lay a lot of this at the feet of the media. They seem intimidated by Gillis and can't/won't ask him tough questions for fear of being shunned by the Canucks. Even Brian Burke had less control over the media than Gillis does.

A few like Botchford and Willes have written a few critical articles of the team but almost without fail, they deliver the same line that we were an offence-oriented team that had to reset. The fact is, we were never a particularly talented offence-oriented team. The league figured out how to take away space and time from the Sedins and neutralize them, Kesler has never really had wingers of his calibre, and almost every move for a forward Gillis has made has been a bust. It is not a good track record.

Now we're seeing a middling forward lineup start to age. The combination of factors says to me that we need very deep change before it's too late.

NUCK-U, I totally agree with your comparison to the Flames. I just hope like hell we don't let it drag out that long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    Maybe the Canucks need new ownership too, if they're feeling upbeat about the current status of the team. Gillis, in his delusional response saying the Canucks will be all right? What does that even mean? The players, management and owners will be all right? Sure, they'll get paid, because die-hard passionate Canucks fans pay big bucks to watch their team.

I'm reminded of a few past teams, Calgary comes to mind, where they hung on to Iginla for as long as possible, years of flirting near the bottom of the standings. Is that the fate of the Canucks? Hang on to your aging core and sink slowly? I guess with all those NTCs he's awarded the veteran players, Gillis may not have much choice.
    Seems kind of hard to just change ownership. I think the Acquilinis will be in Vancouver for a little while longer.
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    Seems kind of hard to just change ownership. I think the Acquilinis will be in Vancouver for a little while longer.
    Yeah they're not going anywhere. But the fans may stop showing up if Gillis is allowed to stall for a few more years before making any meaningful improvements.

vCash
    I wonder that as well, with this new realignment this year, maybe this is the "real" Canucks? Years past they were in a weak division with EDM, CGY, MIN, COL and MIN - and having to play a large bulk of their regular season games against these teams. Over those years, all of the teams in the NW division were struggling, with the exception of the Canucks. So, they won a Presdient's trophy, earning home-ice throughout and all the stars were aligned, made it to the SCF. But this year, every one of those teams has improved (esp COL), and they now have ANA, LA and SJ in their division, teams they've struggled against for a while now.

This is the reality, the "core" is older, the team is older and injuries are killing us. I have to say that Gillis did a great job bringing in Santorelli, Richardson and Stanton. Heck, I even like the additions of Weber and Diaz. But it's those darned NTCs to the core players, and they're all to players who are now on the downslope of their careers. If Gillis can manage to make a big trade, by sending 2-3 of those guys (Edler, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows?) for a sniper to play wuth the Sedins and maybe some picks, it would be a step in the right direction. I think the Sedins will remain with the Canucks for the rest of their careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    I wonder that as well, with this new realignment this year, maybe this is the "real" Canucks? Years past they were in a weak division with EDM, CGY, MIN, COL and MIN - and having to play a large bulk of their regular season games against these teams. Over those years, all of the teams in the NW division were struggling, with the exception of the Canucks. So, they won a Presdient's trophy, earning home-ice throughout and all the stars were aligned, made it to the SCF. But this year, every one of those teams has improved (esp COL), and they now have ANA, LA and SJ in their division, teams they've struggled against for a while now.

This is the reality, the "core" is older, the team is older and injuries are killing us. I have to say that Gillis did a great job bringing in Santorelli, Richardson and Stanton. Heck, I even like the additions of Weber and Diaz. But it's those darned NTCs to the core players, and they're all to players who are now on the downslope of their careers. If Gillis can manage to make a big trade, by sending 2-3 of those guys (Edler, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows?) for a sniper to play wuth the Sedins and maybe some picks, it would be a step in the right direction. I think the Sedins will remain with the Canucks for the rest of their careers.
    Another solid post. Great observations. Gillis has always been good at bringing in support and role players, he just flops when he tries for a star. Booth comes to mind. Or he doesn't even bother trying.

Realistically what are the chances of Gillis being able to ever find an impact player? I mean, the Sedins are actually not the problem IMO, even though their performance trend has been in steady decline. The biggest waste of talent is on Gillis for not finding Kesler an impact winger for all these years. That will haunt this franchise for a long time.

vCash
    Another solid post. Great observations. Gillis has always been good at bringing in support and role players, he just flops when he tries for a star. Booth comes to mind. Or he doesn't even bother trying.

Realistically what are the chances of Gillis being able to ever find an impact player? I mean, the Sedins are actually not the problem IMO, even though their performance trend has been in steady decline. The biggest waste of talent is on Gillis for not finding Kesler an impact winger for all these years. That will haunt this franchise for a long time.
    The Canucks best chance of finding an impact elite player is through the draft. It looks like we'll be getting a top 10 pick this season, so we can have 2 elite prospects with that top 10 pick and Horvat.
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    The Canucks best chance of finding an impact elite player is through the draft. It looks like we'll be getting a top 10 pick this season, so we can have 2 elite prospects with that top 10 pick and Horvat.
    Hopefully MG drafts well. We still don't really know whether he can draft as he has so little to show for that too.

I watched Horvat in the WJC and he was good but not an impact player. The closest we have had to that type of player was ... er ... Hodgson. He was no Sydney Crosby but at least he contributed.

It's only natural we should trade an asset like that away.

vCash
    What I can't stand at all is the propensity of the Canucks to try and find that 'hidden gem' rather than a known quantity. What I'm saying is they look for lower cost players in the college ranks and leagues other than the OHL and the WHL more often than other NHL teams. I personally wish that they would just stick with traditional wisdom and draft ONLY Canadian/American kids or Euros that have proven themselves to some degree on North American ice. Otherwise you end up with Patrick White and Libor Poliscek...not to mention our first round Danish guy languishing in Utica.