Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What if NOTHING happens...

I'm very curious to hear what other people on here think. Do you think that if Rogers doesn't sign a pitcher before the season starts that they will lose a hell of a lot of the fan base? Cuz i have to tell you I will be pretty upset if they don't sign anyone. Rogers has way too much money to not add something they clearly and desperately need if they want even the slightest chance of making the playoffs. Not signing a pitcher and just getting Navarro just shows the fans that they don't give a s$&t if the team wins or loses. Nothings guaranteed if we get a pitcher, but wouldn't it just give you a lot more hope and faith??

vCash
    Well the management will have a very short leash (I believe they will no matter what). With no signings to help the SP, if they have a rocky first 2 months, the purge IMO begins

vCash
    It would be strange if nothing happened, I mean last season it was "all in" and one year later it's status quo, odd messages to the fans

vCash

vCash
    If they do nothing, fans will be irate but winning will fix everything.

If they stand pat but Stroman has a great year and the Jays win 90 games, no one will care.... however, if they're 9-21 by the beginning of May again, I doubt Alex and Gibbons last until June.

I mean, you gotta look at this from a casual fan's perspective, though I know here we're all far more involved than that but bare with me. Fan A sees at the start of the season Santana wants 5/100 mil.... he figures, "I wish the price would drop so the Jays can add pitching". While not following the offseason as deep as the rest of us and then seeing Santana sign for say.... 3/39, wouldn't that make a fan, who doesn't understand all the ins and outs of free agency absolutely explode in frustration? Now - times that by about 20, 000 - given how many "average fans" show up at ballgames and suddenly the Rogers center can't fill any seats because the Jays are deemed "not going for it", in a year they should be all-in.

This is such a slippery slope for the Blue Jays, I really hope they aren't planning to come away empty handed.

Gibbons reaction to the Adam Lind trade

vCash
    What's AA's contract look like?

vCash
    I'll be shocked if they don't added another starter. If they stand pat, then we know they are taking a chance hoping for the best. If the team gels and plays well, they can always add players via trade. So they have outs. But like Stayonboard stated, if the team gets off to a rough start, then heads may roll.

vCash
    Team should be fine to start the year if they can beef up the bench and find a couple RH platoon mates for Lind and Goins.
    Dickey, Morrow, Berhule, Happ, McGowan, Hutch, Strolman, Redmond, Rogers will produce 5 SP for the rotation.
    It would be nice to add a 200 innings guy to this group but if the team is healthy they are fine to start the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    Team should be fine to start the year if they can beef up the bench and find a couple RH platoon mates for Lind and Goins.
    Dickey, Morrow, Berhule, Happ, McGowan, Hutch, Strolman, Redmond, Rogers will produce 5 SP for the rotation.
    It would be nice to add a 200 innings guy to this group but if the team is healthy they are fine to start the season.
    I chuckled at first but then realized you were being serious

vCash
    Problem isn't so much producing 5 starting pitchers for the rotation, it's actually producing a few good ones.

vCash
    Why don't just open another offseason thread twitchy??

its a lot more convenient.. and activity in other threads will start when the season starts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post

its a lot more convenient.. and activity in other threads will start when the season starts

Have to agree here, there is no place to go other than the Jimenez/Santana thread for pitching and the minor league thread and apart from starting up a bunch of new threads , maybe a Pre-Season or Spring Training Thread would help! Kind of in limbo here!..
    But up to you!..

vCash
    Santana/Jimenez help the rotation but the problem is, barring very few injuries, this team really isn't all that good... or should I say good enough to win.

Bats and Edwin great 3 and 4 but Bats needs to prove he can stay healthy all year. Lawrie is a high injury risk, same with Reyes. We don't know if Melky will be the same. Lind had a above average year, will he keep it up? Goins is blah (though his d should keep us in games, his offense may not). Navarro is also hit and miss and hasn't played a full season in his life.

Starting rotation -- I mean unless guys have fantastic years its average to blah. Dickey, Buehrle, Happ, Morrow and god Rogers or Redmond? Even if you throw in Jimenez instead of Rogers it's still pretty blah.

Anyways, let's see but I mean you have a high payroll and a pretty crappy team overall. Yes this team will have it's fair share of runs and home runs... but we've seen it means nothing in the end for this team when starting pitching can't keep it up. It's a high injury risk team with almost half your team having the risk of going down for some time during the year. Below average still at 2b and catching is suspect. Relief pitching was a goldmine last year but it is a volatile part of a ball team for the most part, who knows if they keep it up.

Man just not feeling it this year at all -- havent bought tixs to any game and until the Jays prove they are winning likely won't. Sucks but I mean they really haven't given me reason to care.

I AM looking forward to Stroman's eventual promotion, he's gonna be good. But no real player development in the minors for a long time has cost them today since they can't fill the holes with prospects and have some overpaid hacks like Buehrle and Dickey (and you can argue if Reyes is really worth $22 mil per in his career now).

vCash
    Lol, Dickey is a much better pitcher than Santana or Jiminez and will probably be paid less than either of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post

There have been a few people who have messaged me about the offseason threads having a lot of good ideas, but because they're all in one thread some of them got overlooked. So I'm trying it a different way for the next month.

Plus ST starts in 5 days so it's better to just make a ST thread when it starts.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast