Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Harden

1 12.50%
  • Dwight Howard

7 87.50%
    vCash

Best Player on the Rockets?

Someone kind of brought this up in the main forums and it made me wonder what yall think. Is Dwight Howard or James Harden our best player?

vCash
    Lately I feel it's been Dwight which leads me to believe it's him. James still doesn't give as much effort as needed on D.

Dwight sometimes gets lazy on D too which is scary because he can still improve back to what he was imo. His offense has been nice lately so I'd say it's Dwight.

vCash
    Harden has a clear edge on offense, while Dwight has a clear edge on defense. Dwight is unquestionably better offensively than Harden is defensively, but Harden can also be counted on late in games, while Dwight is notorious for the exact opposite. Dwight also provides you an elite rebounding presence, while Harden can run your offense and use his penetration to find open shooters. Both guys are turnover machines.

Bottom line, I don't think there's a wrong answer to this question. Harden does have a slight edge based on most advanced statistics, and I'd give him an edge because offense generally trumps defense in today's NBA. However, I wouldn't criticize a guy who picked Dwight instead. Both guys are top 10-15 players in the league, and you need both to have any chance at contending for a championship.

vCash
    This is an interesting question. If the question was who was most valuable to the Rockets I would definitely answer
    Howard. Our record without Harden is, I believe 6-2, but I think we would be hard-pressed to do this well without
    Dwight. Considering how dominant Dwight has been lately on the offensive end I would say, at present, he is the better
    player, but if Harden would put more effort on D, which I did see from him in the Phoenix game (I missed the Milwaukee
    game) then I could argue he is the better player.

vCash
    I agree with MBT, there's not a wrong answear. You could go either way and you'd be right, IMO. I think they're at the same level, arguabily the two best players at their positions in the league, but if I have to pick one, I'm also going with Harden, knowing he could be a decent defender if he put more effort on that end, as we've seen.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash

Best Player on the Rockets?

Can't go wrong with either. I'm going to go with Howard because he's the only one that decides to play defense on this team. His free throw shooting has come a long way also.

vCash
    I've been thinking about this, and I change my mind every 5 minutes. So yeah, I say they're at the same level.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    What about Jeremy?? ;-D lol

vCash
    I didn't choose

vCash
    I voted Howard. Why? It's very close, but Howard is harder to replace. We can win without Harden's scoring. Can we win without Howard's defense and scoring? Yes, but it'd be harder.

vCash
    If I could switch my vote, I would in hindsight. Howard has beasted lately, and it's been obvious that he's the reason the Rockets have been so dominant in winning 16 of their last 19 games. It may switch back by the end of the season if Harden goes on some ridiculous stretch, but right now it's certainly Howard.

vCash
    Before i started watching the NBA regularly (this year), I always thought that regular season games weren't worth watching until at least the 4th quarter, and the regular season is meaningless, only the playoffs count (heck, more than half the teams in the league make the playoffs!). I still believe the second one.

The only point of the regular season for any team even dreaming of a championship is to learn to play together and to get ready to win playoff games. I think the Rockets are doing the first, but not putting much effort into doing the second. I'd like to see them develop their individual skills and work on their weaknesses: set plays, team defense, counter-post up moves for Howard, plays to get Harden/Parsons/Jeremy the ball on the move in the half-court.

I think these are the things that are more important than getting a high seed. Winning games against inferior teams is necessary, but they should be using them as training grounds to try things they might need to be able to to in a playoff series against a team that's ready for their usual game plan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    Before i started watching the NBA regularly (this year), I always thought that regular season games weren't worth watching until at least the 4th quarter, and the regular season is meaningless, only the playoffs count (heck, more than half the teams in the league make the playoffs!). I still believe the second one.

The only point of the regular season for any team even dreaming of a championship is to learn to play together and to get ready to win playoff games. I think the Rockets are doing the first, but not putting much effort into doing the second. I'd like to see them develop their individual skills and work on their weaknesses: set plays, team defense, counter-post up moves for Howard, plays to get Harden/Parsons/Jeremy the ball on the move in the half-court.

I think these are the things that are more important than getting a high seed. Winning games against inferior teams is necessary, but they should be using them as training grounds to try things they might need to be able to to in a playoff series against a team that's ready for their usual game plan.
    I actually thought they did a good job of experimenting in last night's game. Once the game was obviously out of hand, McHale ran out a lineup of Dwight/Asik for a little bit. I think he's trying to see if it can work against some lineups in the playoffs. I thought it was actually pretty decent last night in a really small sample size.

I also think they've done a better job getting Dwight easy looks around the rim, and they've clearly drawn up more plays for him in the last 15-20 games. They're going to have to do that in close playoff games, and he's going to have to hit key buckets when it matters down the stretch when the Rockets perimeter shooters are off.