Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rebuilding the Lakers

A task awaits us.

At the conclusion of the season, the Lakers roster goes "POOF" and virtually disappears. The talent assembled this season....even though wins have been few and far between....is actually quite remarkable, not to mention cheap. Even though everyone here seems to be having fun with this "tank" thing, you dont like losing like this.....at least you'd better not or you should turn in your Lakers card. What has to be done for next season is to surround a healthy Kobe Bryant with inexpensive enough talent so that the moves everyone is clamoring for....like Kevin Love....are actually feasible.

So...let us begin.

Lets assume that Mike D'Antoni returns as the coach. He's under contract anyway, and he's actually done an acceptable job given what he's had to work with and the conditions he's had to deal with. We also know Kobe will return, carrying his $23.5 million salary with him. Also under contract for next season are Robert Sacre @ $915,243 and Kendal Marshall also at $915,243. Steve Nash could return at $9.7 million, but I think we all agree that the Lakers would be much better off stretching him. So....we start with 3 players.

If I was Mitch, I would re-sign the following players...

Jordan Farmar (1,106,942), Jodie Meeks (1,550,000), Nick Young (1,106,942), Xavier Henry (916,099), Wesley Johnson (916,099), and Ryan Kelly (490,180). Nick Young has a player option at $1,227,985, but I think we need to consider signing him for Steve Blake-type numbers ($4 million....perhaps a bit more). Those players cost the Lakers $6,086,282 this season. we could conceivably bring them back for around $15 million...plus we'd have them in place for at least two more seasons with options for a third.

That gives us 9 players. We are going to draft a player this season which would be 10, and our payroll would be somewhere in the $40 million range. The depth chart would look something like this....

Farmar, Marshall
    Meeks, Young
    Kobe, Henry
    Johnson, Kelly
    Sacre

Yes, I move Kobe to small forward and start Meeks at the shooting guard. Johnson would/could also see time at the 3...depending on where Kobe rotates. Sacre is a backup at center, so we need one there....someone who plays defense first.

We need 4 free agents to fill this up.....who are they?

vCash
    You lost me as "let's assume Mike D'Antoni returns as coach"

That right there is when **** goes down the drain. Any move you make after that doesn't even matter. You keep him and you remained screwed. No big free agent or superstar is going to want to come to this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post

That right there is when **** goes down the drain. Any move you make after that doesn't even matter. You keep him and you remained screwed. No big free agent or superstar is going to want to come to this team.
    Actually, you see what D'antoni does with ball handlers and shooters, why wouldn't a free agent superstar come here? d'antoni resurrects careers and helps you reach your strength.

Like lebron, i think Lebron would actually do quite well in a d'antoni offense, remember he was the offensive coach for the olympics and lebron got a lot better AFTER the olympics, he turned into a different player, if you think the coaches (and kobe) had no effect on that, you're blind.

Also, what free agent point guard WOULD'NT want to be here? Point guards look like gods in a d'antoni system, Lin, cast off, turned star, marshall; cast off turned star. blake looks like a real point guard, nash looks good at 40 freakin years old.

every point guard looking at the lakers know, if you play for d'antoni you're going to put up at least 15 and 10 and look like an all star. He also makes guys who gms would otherwise overlook look good.

I know a lot of you dont like d'antoni but i think a lot of that comes from it looking like the lakres took him over phil. the fact is, without that d'antoni is a good hire. the state of the current lakers is more injuries over d'antonis coaching.

and if you want to blame howard leaving on d'antoni, go ahead, its probably true but at the same time, i could care less. I hate Howard now and would've hated him on this team, so good riddance to rubbish.

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash

There's no point in getting rid of him when the team still sucks, and we're going to suck for at least another couple of years.

At least he keeps us in the hunt for lottery picks, although we don't have one for next year.

vCash
    I'm going to ask you people a question.

Does Mike D'Antoni have the confidence, intelligence, poise and ability to manage different personalities and egos to win a championship?

A good coach manages not just players, but people.

That is what Phil Jackson did best. Phil wasn't an X's and O's guy people.

THINK!

vCash

Thats a whole different thread

Considering the circumstances, I see no evidence that D'Antoni is failing at the task given him by the Lakers front office....at least not to the point of being fired for it. Is he the guy I want in place for the rebuild? No, but that isnt happening until Kobe retires

vCash
    Antoni is awful at rotations, matchups, in game adjustments, and handling egos.

Completely awful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by championships View Post

Completely awful.
    So you're saying that he's awful at...coaching?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Eye:27942376
    Quote Originally Posted by championships View Post

Completely awful.
    So you're saying that he's awful at...coaching?
    Pretty much. I mean he did put together an offense that fans like because its run n gun, rain threes, pick n roll to death, ssol, video game type style but that's all he has.
    He is like a 1 trick pony. No D and when his O isn't working, he has a hard time adjusting.

What I see is a disregard for the fundamentals so he can prove his way works.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by royal bob View Post
    A task awaits us.

At the conclusion of the season, the Lakers roster goes "POOF" and virtually disappears. The talent assembled this season....even though wins have been few and far between....is actually quite remarkable, not to mention cheap. Even though everyone here seems to be having fun with this "tank" thing, you dont like losing like this.....at least you'd better not or you should turn in your Lakers card. What has to be done for next season is to surround a healthy Kobe Bryant with inexpensive enough talent so that the moves everyone is clamoring for....like Kevin Love....are actually feasible.

So...let us begin.

Lets assume that Mike D'Antoni returns as the coach. He's under contract anyway, and he's actually done an acceptable job given what he's had to work with and the conditions he's had to deal with. We also know Kobe will return, carrying his $23.5 million salary with him. Also under contract for next season are Robert Sacre @ $915,243 and Kendal Marshall also at $915,243. Steve Nash could return at $9.7 million, but I think we all agree that the Lakers would be much better off stretching him. So....we start with 3 players.

If I was Mitch, I would re-sign the following players...

Jordan Farmar (1,106,942), Jodie Meeks (1,550,000), Nick Young (1,106,942), Xavier Henry (916,099), Wesley Johnson (916,099), and Ryan Kelly (490,180). Nick Young has a player option at $1,227,985, but I think we need to consider signing him for Steve Blake-type numbers ($4 million....perhaps a bit more). Those players cost the Lakers $6,086,282 this season. we could conceivably bring them back for around $15 million...plus we'd have them in place for at least two more seasons with options for a third.

That gives us 9 players. We are going to draft a player this season which would be 10, and our payroll would be somewhere in the $40 million range. The depth chart would look something like this....

Farmar, Marshall
    Meeks, Young
    Kobe, Henry
    Johnson, Kelly
    Sacre

Yes, I move Kobe to small forward and start Meeks at the shooting guard. Johnson would/could also see time at the 3...depending on where Kobe rotates. Sacre is a backup at center, so we need one there....someone who plays defense first.

We need 4 free agents to fill this up.....who are they?
    your math is wrong

it won't be 40 million with those 10

kobe/sacre/marshall/stretched nash would be $28.5 million

the next 6 guys plus the cap hold of $2 million for the the 8-10 pick will not get done for $11.5 million

Young and meeks will get offered at least 4 million each while all of the others will make twice as much as last year... plus the cap hold on the first round pick of 2 million

that puts those 10 spots at around 28.5 plus 16.5 which puts the Lakers at $45 million

$45 million for the following is pure garbage

Farmar, Marshall
    Meeks, Young
    Kobe, Henry
    Johnson, Kelly
    Sacre

With the Salary cap being around $60 million at best that doesn't leave much to sign 4 guys let alone an impact player based on your assumptions...

The reality is probably neither meeks nor young will be resigned which will give the lakers another $8 million to spend...

Rebuilding is far off and steps need to be taken before the deadline to trade away players to add assets... i doubt the FO gets it done..

vCash
    I don't know what the Lakers are going to do. The new CBA, Plus Kobes deal, pretty much prevents any "quick fix" via free agency.

The Lakers can't rebuild through the draft because they handed out their picks like candy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    your math is wrong

it won't be 40 million with those 10

kobe/sacre/marshall/stretched nash would be $28.5 million

the next 6 guys plus the cap hold of $2 million for the the 8-10 pick will not get done for $11.5 million

Young and meeks will get offered at least 4 million each while all of the others will make twice as much as last year... plus the cap hold on the first round pick of 2 million

that puts those 10 spots at around 28.5 plus 16.5 which puts the Lakers at $45 million

$45 million for the following is pure garbage

Farmar, Marshall
    Meeks, Young
    Kobe, Henry
    Johnson, Kelly
    Sacre

With the Salary cap being around $60 million at best that doesn't leave much to sign 4 guys let alone an impact player based on your assumptions...

The reality is probably neither meeks nor young will be resigned which will give the lakers another $8 million to spend...

Rebuilding is far off and steps need to be taken before the deadline to trade away players to add assets... i doubt the FO gets it done..
    I have no problem using your figures. We are what we are, and it is what it is. I think Meeks and Young will both re-sign...as they have indicated they both want to.

I seriously doubt the Lakers land any what you would call "impact players" this summer. Mitch is going to have to pull a few rabbits out of his hat. We could sign 1 player who would be a legit $9 million talent...and then get 3 others who would fall into the league minimum range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by royal bob View Post
    I have no problem using your figures. We are what we are, and it is what it is. I think Meeks and Young will both re-sign...as they have indicated they both want to.

I seriously doubt the Lakers land any what you would call "impact players" this summer. Mitch is going to have to pull a few rabbits out of his hat. We could sign 1 player who would be a legit $9 million talent...and then get 3 others who would fall into the league minimum range.
    no way the lakers will offer enough to keep meeks and young... nor should they

as for a $9 million player... anyone getting that much will be a three year deal which effects cap to far into the future...

the lakers options are ****** at best unless some trades are made before the deadline that bring us cap relief, picks and TPE's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    no way the lakers will offer enough to keep meeks and young... nor should they

as for a $9 million player... anyone getting that much will be a three year deal which effects cap to far into the future...

the lakers options are ****** at best unless some trades are made before the deadline that bring us cap relief, picks and TPE's
    I dont agree that we should start the summer of 2016 at 0. You cant win with just 5 players. A solid second unit is necessary to project value to the desired FA's that summer. Let me ask you....if you were Kevin Durant, would you want to come to a team starting from scratch...or would you like to see assets already here?

vCash
    I think the league doesnt want the Lakers to get a high pick.

See the Cavs game

There is no way on earth that the Lakers are better than 7 teams in the league

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast