Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Colts Hire Rob Chudzinski As Special Assistant To Pagano

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Not mad at the move, and he is a guy that Pagano has worked with and that IMO makes more sense on why he is on the staff than Pep. I'm pretty sure he was the Browns OC when Anderson, Edwards, and Lewis looked like a pretty nasty 3 headed monster and were a top 10 offense....Edwards and Anderson quickly went to hell without him and Lewis was a surprise at the twilight of his career to have what IMO is the 2nd best year of his career.

He was also the OC for Carolina when they went from a bottom feeding O to a top 10 Offense....but that also had quite a bit to do with replacing Jimmy Claussen and Matt Moore with Cam Newton...but he seems to have a good track record and even got 4300+ (We had about 3900 yards total passing) yards of passing from Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer, and Brandon Weeden and overall a somewhat reasonable 76 team QB rating with what he had to work with (I hate the rating but it is a good enough measuring stick when you don't know much about a team) last year which to me is why I was scratching my head when he was fired.

Not sure if he is Pep insurance or Pep help....maybe Pagano just needs to focus more on the D with Manusky and he is going to be working with Pep on the O. Maybe he speaks the language Richardson understands?

I like the guy and if Pep falters next year I think we have a really nice Plan B with a great track record with much lesser talent..

vCash
    My take...

There is a history with Pags and probably a high level of trust. A few of us, myself included, opined about not minding Pep returning if a "Special Advisor" type was hired to help him get more creative? Well seems as if we got our wish and I am really happy about this! Matt pointed out what Chud has done as an OC and there was no way he should have been fired last season as the Brown's HC. He had the respect of his players and colleagues not too mention the fickle talking heads...lol. So I see this as nothing as positive moving forward.

Now about Pep....he was in the running for the Vandy job before he declined. It wouldn't surprise me if he isn't a hot commodity after next season should/when Indy improves even more with the return of 4 Offensive starters, Free Agents(more about that later), the Draft and a hopefully improved T'Rich. It doesn't hurt that he is young, Afro American and has had success at Stanford and now(though it has been uneven to this point) at Indy....making him a fine candidate for a major college Head Coaching position. Just think how that would help a school's recruiting? So having some help from Chud could only enhance that and guess who would be right there to take over at OC with a seemingly easy transition???

Now all the Alex Mack fans can't be too upset about this hiring either (which brings me to Free Agency) as he was a Chud supporter after his ill advised firing.
    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...biggest_f.html
    So who knows?

Lastly, T'Rich...not so sure how much of an influence or how much of a comfort zone Chud could help bring but it couldn't hurt?

Overall I am very pleased!

Now, if The Vicster's post yesterday about Wade Phillips could some how spur Indy to sign him as a "Special Assistant" we could really have something?! Lol, one can dream right?
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Full text

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS HIRE ROB CHUDZINSKI AS SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE HEAD COACH
    Posted by ColtsCaseyB on February 8, 2014 – 11:36 am

The Indianapolis Colts today hired Rob Chudzinski as special assistant to the head coach.

“Rob and I have a long professional relationship and his résumé speaks for itself,” said Head Coach Chuck Pagano. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and will be a tremendous help to our entire team moving forward. Needless to say, we’re excited to have ‘Chud’ joining our family.”

Pagano and Chudzinski previously spent eight seasons together in the collegiate and NFL ranks. Pagano served as a graduate assistant at the University of Miami (Fla.) during Chudzinski’s freshman year at the school in 1986. The two then coached the Hurricanes together from 1995-2000. After that, they spent the 2004 season together with the Cleveland Browns.

Chudzinski holds 20 years of coaching experience, including the last 10 seasons in the NFL. He most recently served as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns in 2013. Under Chudzinski, the Browns offense finished 18th in the NFL in total offense and 11th in passing yards, their highest finish since 1991. The team also finished ninth in total defense, marking their highest ranking since 1994. Cleveland recorded 40.0 sacks as a team and tied for the league lead with 16 total players with a sack.

Chudzinski coached five Pro Bowl and five Associated Press All-Pro selections in Cleveland, including wide receiver Josh Gordon, who became the first Browns player to lead the NFL in receiving yards (1,646). Gordon, who played in just 14 games, also recorded the 10th-most receiving yards in a season in NFL history. Tight end Jordan Cameron posted career highs with 80 receptions for 917 yards and seven touchdowns. His receiving yards ranked second among NFL tight ends in 2013, while his receptions total ranked third.

Prior to joining the Browns, Chudzinski spent two years (2011-12) as offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers. In 2011, the team set club records for total yards (6,237) and first downs (345), one year after experiencing franchise lows in both categories. Carolina scored 48 touchdowns overall after recording 17 the year before his arrival. Chudzinski tutored quarterback Cam Newton, who became the first rookie in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards, while setting an NFL record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback with 14 en route to being named the 2011 Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year. The Panthers also became the first team in NFL history with three 700-yard rushers in DeAngelo Williams (836), Jonathan Stewart (761) and Newton (706).

Chudzinski had two stints with the San Diego Chargers, where he served as the assistant head coach/tight ends from 2009-2010 and tight ends coach from 2005-06. He tutored tight end Antonio Gates, who recorded both of his 1,000-yard receiving seasons under Chudzinski in 2005 and 2009.

From 2007-08, Chudzinski served as the offensive coordinator of the Browns. In 2007, the Browns scored 402 points and tallied 5,621 yards of total offense, both of which ranked as the third-most in franchise history. In addition, the team tied for seventh in the NFL in touchdowns and eighth in total offense after finishing 30th and 31st, respectively, the year prior.

Chudzinski began his NFL coaching career in 2004 as the Browns tight ends coach, where he worked with first-round draft choice Kellen Winslow. During the season, he was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final five games following Butch Davis’ resignation as head coach.

From 1994-2003, Chudzinski coached at his alma mater, the University of Miami (Fla.). He spent two seasons (1994-95) as a graduate assistant, five (1996-2000) as tight ends coach and three (2001-03) as offensive coordinator. During his three seasons as offensive coordinator, the Hurricanes compiled a record of 35-3 and played in a BCS Bowl Game every year, including two National Championship appearances. Chudzinski helped shape several future NFL Pro Bowlers, including Bubba Franks, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee, Bryant McKinnie, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow.

Chudzinski played tight end at Miami from 1986-1990, as he was a three-year starter and a member of two national championship teams (1987 and 1989). He graduated with a B.A. in business administration in 1990 and went on to earn his MBA in 1996. Chudzinski and his wife, Sheila, have two sons, Kaelan and Rian, and one daughter, Margaret.

vCash
    I think this is clearly a message, only question is what is the message and who is it aimed at?

Is it a heads up to Hamilton?

Is it a heads up to Pagano, who it's widely acknowledged made poor coaching decisions at time?

Is Pagano perhaps ill again and the Chudster is insurance just in case?

Hmmmmmm.....

vCash
    I like the hire, but it has some very interesting caveats (Richardson, Hamilton).

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next 12 months.

vCash
    This is an incredible hire and I think it was 100% Pagano behind it. When Pep was thinking about Vandy I was hoping for Chud and we still got him! Andrew Luck will take a huge step forward next year, and hopefully we have a more aggressive attack. Chud may end up calling plays before the season is over. This shortens Pep's leash for sure. DA and Fleener stand to gain as well. You make a great point about Mack as well Wyld. This a a great start on the offseason!!

vCash
    This is an incredible hire and I think it was 100% Pagano behind it. When Pep was thinking about Vandy I was hoping for Chud and we still got him! Andrew Luck will take a huge step forward next year, and hopefully we have a more aggressive attack. Chud may end up calling plays before the season is over. This shortens Pep's leash for sure. DA and Fleener stand to gain as well. You make a great point about Mack as well Wyld. This a a great start to the offseason!!

vCash
    We're def getting Mack now. **** yea. Move Hughes to guard. Draft Seantrel Henderson. We might have a sick *** OL.

vCash
    My immediate reaction to this news was we now have the inside track for Alex Mack.

I actually really love this hire. Chud is probably happy to be back with Richardson and now he gets to coach up Andrew Luck instead of Campbell, Weeden, and Hoyer. If Chud can some how get us Mack and T.J. Ward... wow. Also, he's had a history of developing tight ends.... i'd love to see what he can do with Allen (who i still believe is our 2nd best offensive player) and Fleener.

I don't see any downsides to this hire.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    From Browns SB Nation site:

Chudzinski is also re-uniting with former Browns running back Trent Richardson, who was traded to the Colts this past season after just two games. The impression was that Chudzinski was not really responsible for Richardson's dismissal, so there shouldn't be any ill-will between the two.
    http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2/...rob-chudzinski

So it looks like Chud/Richardson won't be an issue.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Let's bring over Travis Benjamin while we are at it. Let him return kicks.