Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Letang suffers stroke

Penguins just announced that Letang had a stroke sometime last week and will be out 6 weeks. Hard to believe a guy his age and assuming he's in good shape could have a stroke.

2. 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM
    Reason
    baiting

vCash
    Terrible to hear, wish him a quick and full recovery. I remember early in his career he suffered massive migraines, but he had supposedly moved past them. I wonder if this is related to that.

P.S. Admittedly, I know nothing in terms of medical matters so I have no clue if migraines and strokes could be related at all

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    That's a shame. So young. I hope he makes a full recovery.

vCash
    Really scary. Wish him the best

6. 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM
    Reason
    quoting deleted post

vCash
    Apparently a doctor examining him saw something very suspicious and told the team that it could be very very serious and life-threatening. Immediately got him on blood thinners and then was diagnosed with a stroke. Said that multiple doctors were seen the past few days.

Docs say now that it`s not life-threatening or career ending but he could be done for the season. Still very serious

-Rob Rossi was just on HockeyCentral

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsa592 View Post
    Terrible to hear, wish him a quick and full recovery. I remember early in his career he suffered massive migraines, but he had supposedly moved past them. I wonder if this is related to that.

P.S. Admittedly, I know nothing in terms of medical matters so I have no clue if migraines and strokes could be related at all
    I have a basic understanding of how a stroke happens. There's a blood clot which creates a lack of oxygen to the brain which obviously leads to all kinds of problems. My guess is a migrane/headache isn't associated with having a stroke. Of course, I really don't know. I remember my neighbor, who passed away years ago, had a stroke when she was 12 or 13 years old(after being in sicks kids hospital since she was 7 or 8) which I found surprising as well at the time. I wasn't aware you could have a stroke at such a young age. What's weird with Letang here is that when you go down the checklist of things that lead to having a stroke, he doesn't really fall into any category. He's not old,no diabetes, doesn't smoke,good diet etc. These are all assumptions but pretty safe ones given he's a pro athlete.

vCash
    They were on HC @ Noon talking about Letang. He's apparently on blood thinners and a lot of other medication. Just awful for a young guy no matter what his profession is to have to deal with that. It's a sin because he's so talented, you don't want anything to hamper the guy. Even if he wasn't talented it doesn't matter. Hopefully they figure out what triggered it and he gets the appropriate treatment. Just way way too young for a stroke but those things have happened. I have a friend who took a stroke at 15.

vCash
    Wasnt there some talk about Letang suffering bad migraines when he was drafted. Could that be linked, maybe?

vCash
    It has to be something like Mike Ditka had a few years ago. 6 week recovery window is so small too. Hopefully, he feels better and will never have any loss in his bodily functions. I would retire if he's at the age and financial security level to do so if it means prolonging his life. Poor guy. Great D too. It's a shame, but it happens to even the best of people in life. Just how it works, but he will bounce back, hopefully.

vCash
    wow, bad news, I hope he makes a full recovery.
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    I have a basic understanding of how a stroke happens. There's a blood clot which creates a lack of oxygen to the brain which obviously leads to all kinds of problems. My guess is a migrane/headache isn't associated with having a stroke. Of course, I really don't know. I remember my neighbor, who passed away years ago, had a stroke when she was 12 or 13 years old(after being in sicks kids hospital since she was 7 or 8) which I found surprising as well at the time. I wasn't aware you could have a stroke at such a young age. What's weird with Letang here is that when you go down the checklist of things that lead to having a stroke, he doesn't really fall into any category. He's not old,no diabetes, doesn't smoke,good diet etc. These are all assumptions but pretty safe ones given he's a pro athlete.
    yea, basically its lack of oxygen/blood flow to a certain part of the brain. It could either be due to clot (blood, plaque, air bubble) or hemorrhage. Everyone's saying he's on blood thinners, so its definitely a possibility that he bled out. If an artery bleeds out, then the brain tissue just distal to that site isn't going to get any blood flow, so basically the same effect as having a clot stop blood flow.
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    6 weeks does seem fast so hopefully it is not as serious as it sounds. The word stroke is scary.

vCash
    I can't see how they could rush him back so quickly. I wish him a speedy recovery, but best to play it safe and sit for the remainder of this season.

vCash
    Turns out he was born with a small hole in the wall of his heart, which they think was a factor, if not the main cause.

He had missed the past few games with an "unidentified illness" so, needless to say, when I and other Pens fans heard it was as serious as a stroke, it was shocking
    Let's Go Pens! - 16 Games Left

vCash
    Pretty surprising for a guy his age and physical condition. Let's hope he makes a full recovery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast