Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavs GM Search

vCash

Cavs GM Search

Figure I would make a thread to discuss/speculate who the new Cavs GM may be. Right now it is David Griffin until (at least) the end of the year. However, that may change.

vCash
    Who Should Run the Cavs? Part I

Who’s in charge of the Spurs?

Who’s in charge of the Heat?

Who runs the Celtics?

Who runs the Pacers?

Who saved the Corleone family?

If you’re any kind of NBA fan, you answered Greg Popovich, Pat Riley, Danny Ainge, Larry Bird, and Michael (far left) all within milliseconds of reading the questions. There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind who’s in charge of those organizations. Heck, I bet there’s only one owner you can name out of those four teams. If I asked you two days ago, “Who’s in charge of the Cavs?” who would you have said? Chances are you would have thought about it for a minute, and said, Chris Grant, Mike Brown, or Dan Gilbert. And therein lies the problem.

No one was quite sure who was running the Cavs. The Mike Brown hire: was it a Chris Grant or Dan Gilbert move? The Anthony Bennett draft: Chris Grant or Mike Brown? Earl Clark: Mike Brown? Jarrett Jack: Gilbert or Grant? Now that Chris Grant has been fired, there’s little doubt that Dan Gilbert is in charge of the Cavs… for now.

Look, all comic sans kidding aside, I love Dan Gilbert. The guy has consistently supported down-on-their-luck American cities: Cleveland and Detroit. He articulated the emotions many of us, as loyal fans, were feeling after the LeBrocalypse. Was it an error in business judgment? Probably. Would I have been any less hot-headed? Probably not. If you look at the statements that Gilbert made yesterday, it’s clear that it pained him to have to fire Chris Grant, an employee and confidant he probably talked to five days a week. It’s clear that he wants the Cavs to be better, and he believes that the product should be better. Does he have unrealistic expectations? I don’t think he does.

Like me, and like many of us, Gilbert can deal with the losing. What he does not find acceptable is the lack of effort and the lack of professionalism on the court. The Cavaliers are an organization that has treated their players and their staff extraordinarily well, by NBA standards. Look at what ex-Charge coach, Alex Jensen said of the organization.

“It really is a first-class organization. The owner, Dan Gilbert, makes sure you have everything you need… When I was there, they were obviously going through a rebuilding process. But it’s a great practice facility, great people. It’s only a matter of time before they are really good again — year in and year out.. Whether it was facilities or means, I had everything at my disposal. It was a great situation where you could only blame yourself if you didn’t succeed.”

As an employee, that is all you can ask for: that your boss gives you everything you need to succeed. For Chris Grant and Mike Brown, I don’t think either of them ever lacked what they needed to succeed, except possibly one thing, autonomy.

That is the problem. As Colin wrote last year we are all amateur documentarians. We have an incomplete view of the inner workings of the Cavs. Save a scathing tell-all, we’ll never know if Anthony Bennett was Chris Grant’s Edsel, if Dan Gilbert insisted on giving $24 million dollars to zombie Jarrett Jack, or if Mike Brown was the one that predicted Earl Clark was going to be even better than New Coke. But we, as fans, need to know where the buck stops. The players need to know it. The coach needs to know it. When everyone is in charge, no one is in charge. Insert another cliché about leadership here.

The Cavs need to hire a guy who is the undisputed head of the franchise. They need to hire someone who will chew out Mike Brown when his team doesn’t know how to defend a pick and roll, and who will send Anthony Bennett to the D-League to learn how to play. They need someone who is not so invested in his own legacy that he can’t trade the players he drafted — someone who understands what a sunk cost is. And dare I say it, they need someone with the gravitas to save Dan Gilbert from himself.

I try not to get on the bad side of billionaires, especially ones who have made it their life’s work to invest in the rust belt. So let me say it again. I love Dan Gilbert… but Dan is too emotional. Excuse me for a minute while I while delve into the ultimate in clichéd profiles of leadership, The Godfather, but Dan Gilbert has too much Sonny Corleone in him and not enough cold, calculating Michael. He needs a Michael. Heck, Dan is loyal to a fault. He needed someone to tell him that LeBron was going to go Moe Green on him. And when he got hot-headed, Dan needed someone to tell him to write that comic sans letter, and then crumple it up and burn it the next morning(and to have Tom Hagen on standby to sue Pat Riley for tampering). Dan Gilbert needed someone to tell him that no one else was going to give Mike Brown a contract, and that a five year deal (and not interviewing anyone else) was just bad business. Dan needed someone to put a team option in the fourth (ugh) year of Jarrett Jack’s contract. Chris Grant clearly wasn’t that guy.

Godfather references aside, the Cavs are Dan Gilbert’s. He can do with them what he wishes. The Cavaliers are his toy boat (worth nine figures). But if he wants the Cavs to be successful, then he should should turn them over to someone who will act as the undisputed boss of this franchise. I just want someone to save Sonny Mr. Gilbert from being metaphorically shot to pieces at the Loop Parkway toll by Daryl Morey and the Dork Elvis mob. But does this Don of Basketball exist, and would a person of this gravity come to run the Cavs? Who should be the GM/VP/Grand Poobah/Godfather of basketball in Cleveland?

Stay tuned for Part II, later today, where we discuss the candidates.

Pass it around:
    http://www.cavstheblog.com/?p=24237#more-24237

vCash
    ^^^ This article sort of reflects why I think Gilbert is a bad owner. Maybe it's a bit hyperbolic to suggest that he is a bad owner but if he continues to get in his own way he will fall into that slot.

vCash
    I think its way too early to speculate about who a GM might be. Right now David Griffin is the GM and lets see what he can do around the deadline and possibly getting rid of some the dead weight as being an optimistic here maybe he gets some deals done that improves the teams mentality and they start playing better and make a run and he ends up keeping the gig. Crazier things have happened in terms of Interim guys taking over and doing a good job and keeping the job. Griffin sounds highly intelligent and has a long standing history in the league so maybe he can do some things differently with the construction of this team that will improve them moving forward.

TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

vCash
    @SamAmicoFSO: Phil Jackson & George Karl on #Cavs' radar, sources say, but David Griffin & Mike Brown to get every chance to keep jobs in final 33 games.
    - Amico

vCash
    Not a huge fan of that article, it doesn't seem well researched at all. It acts like Jarrett Jack was awful last year by referring to him as "the zombie" of Jarrett Jack. He was coming off two valuable seasons and was brought in not only to help us win now but to also be a leader and mentor to Kyrie and Dion. If Jack was playing the same way he was last year nobody would be complaining about his contract. I honestly wonder if his back is still hurting him. It would explain why he looks so much slower and why his shots are constantly falling short. Also complaining that the 4th year on his deal isn't a team option just makes the writer look foolish for not researching his contract seeing as how only 500,000 of it is fully guaranteed that year. Also complaining about Earl Clark's contract? Please, it's essentially a 1 year, 4.25 million dollar deal and he was supposed to play league average at a position of weakness for us as well as bring familiarity with Mike Brown to somewhat help the transition. That's not asking much at all and it's like there's a lot on the line with that contract.

If the writer wants to complain about A.B. being Grant's or Brown's guy or if Waiters was Grant's or Scott's guy how does that fall on Gilbert? Of course the owner is going to want the G.M. to let the head coach have some input when deciding who to draft. It falls on the G.M. to end up making the ultimate decision and it's his fault if he bases his decision on the coaches' influence.

Overall though I agree that we need a strong, influential voice as the next general manager. That's true for any team, especially when you're trying to change a culture. We have the financial resources to bring in a high priced guy and we have the talent and assets to entice most candidates. Now it's on Gilbert to find the right man to lead this team moving forward. That much we can all agree on.

vCash
    Windhorst was on WKNR, here is the recap of what he talked about:

-He is not surprised that they are getting a new GM but he is surprised that it happened. He expected changes as its been a bad year. The team is grossly lacking in achievement and effort. He doesn't understand the timing of the move though. Now, other teams can smell the desperation and the moves you could've made are now going to be done in a position of weakness.

-What is so alarming is that the effort level of the players is poor. Its shocking, you can't explain it. He was at the game in NYC last week, even if you hate your coach or teammates, you don't want to get made fun of by Charles Barkley. At least go out and show effort.

-Mike Brown is not getting the job done, he is not a great sideline presence and his offense looks ugly at times. He is an elite defensive coach, his numbers there are at the top. Dan Gilbert wanted to hire a guy who would improve the defense, he didn't want an unproven guy because they didn't have time. The Cavs defense is almost as bad as it was last year, they are still one of the worst in the league. If the Cavs were complaining but still defending you could have some hope but the team isn't even playing defense.

-Dan has to decide what sort of structure he wants. Does he want a president/weaker GM and coach or a traditional set up with a strong GM and coach. You could also have a strong coach who has a lot of say in the front office (Doc Rivers and Eric Spolestra). Unless its something radical, you may not have to change the coach. If he was Dan Gilbert, he wouldn't give the players the satisfaction of firing the coach. Dan is frustrated because he is used to hitting buttons and things responding (you hire a defensive coach and defense improves, you get high draft picks, you sign/trade good players). They executed their plan, they had 6 first rounders and they get one of the best players to come in the league in the last few years, they spent money on free agents and traded for Luol Deng, it just hasn't worked out.

-The Cavs followed the book and the book let them down. The bleeding is coming from the 15 players. If he was Gilbert, he would have told the players that if you don't want to answer to Mike Brown, you will answer to me.

-Windy did a favor by not tweeting what LBJ was saying after the Cavs/Lakers game, LBJ couldn't believe what was going on. Windy learned in 2010, don't make assumptions about June in February. He won't use the word "never" and LBJ has said he wants to play here again. The Cavs had a great opportunity here and blew it. They may have blown it twice as they didn't build around him with young players the first time and the second time they used the draft to build a good team and it hasn't worked. He won't say never though.

-Some potential names you will probably hear about for GM are Wes Wilcox (assistant to Danny Ferry in ATL), Mark Warkentien (now with Knicks, was with Denver), Peter Dinwiddie (Indiana Pacers exec), if they want a coach/GM type, look at Lionel Hollins and George Karl. The Cavs will probably go for a young, an up and coming GM (Sam Presti type). David Griffin is under the gun here and it is almost guaranteed that he will make some moves here. He could end up staying and he has had other offers to become GM.

vCash
    I found this video over at RCF of David Griffin after we drafted Dion and Tyler. It just gives a little insight into him and what their process has been with scouting and what not. It doesn't necessarily show what he'll try and accomplish before the deadline but he definitely comes across as very knowledgeable and is well spoken.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/s...avid%20griffin

vCash
    Dan gilbert is a good owner. He is willing to spend whatever it takes to win, he also invests a great deal into the city. He has passion and heat for the team and I love that. GOOD LUCK finding a better one to come in here.

Now has he made the best choices in front office people? Prob not. So he needs to find the right guy now to take charge of this team. I don't blame mike brown as mush as others on here. I mean when your best player is walking up and down the court letting bums put 30 on him night in and night out your not gonna win.

I put most of the blame on Chris grant. His drafting has been horrible. Sucks about Bennett I don't think anyone saw that coming. But the other drafts have alot to be desired. I want a gm who is a good talent advisor. Gotta get this right gilbert.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Who Should Run the Cavs? Part II (The List)
    Too long to post.

http://www.cavstheblog.com/?p=24254#more-24254

vCash
    The Cleveland Cavaliers are in the market for a general manager after Chris Grant was fired this week. Assistant GM Dave Griffin will lead basketball operations until a replacement is hired and most likely the position won't be filled until after the season. A few names have already been mentioned and a current front office executive might be a candidate. Who might that be? Joe Dumars.

Dumars could be in trouble with owner Tom Gores if the team does not make the playoffs. Should Dumars and the Pistons part ways, there should be a few teams in line to speak with him and the leader will likely be the Cavaliers.

ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst was a guest on Detroit Sports 105.1 and he mentioned to Matt Dery that Dumars and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert are neighbors. Dumars to the Cavs would be interesting as Gilbert fired Grant for a bunch of bad moves over the last few years and Dumars has equally been bad putting together the Pistons roster.
    No thanks to Dumars. He's been just as bad in Detroit.

vCash

Cavs GM Search

Ugh, that would be brutal.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    Ugh, that would be brutal.....
    I can already see Gilbert egging his house in Detroit a year from now when it doesn't work out. Gilbert will blame the egging on Justin Bieber.

vCash
    @SamAmicoFSO: Griffin on trading deadline: If anything, #Cavs will be buyers. "I don't see how you get better and win more games selling."
    @SamAmicoFSO: #Cavs acting GM David Griffin made it clear he "hates this word with a passion." The word? "Process."
    - Amico

vCash
    According to Amico, GM Griffin went to Washington with the team and went and the locker room to tell the players that "I don't care who you are or what your playing for, you will do what Mike and I say or you won't play." He went onto say that he "doesn't care whether or not they play."

Kind of like this guy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast