Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Are Championship Teams Built From The Draft And Not Free Agency?

Sorry if this has been discussed multiple times or if I'm beating on a dead horse. But what do you guys think..?

vCash
    This is part of a post I made a couple weeks ago.

No legitimate argument can be made against building through the draft and the included cost control benefit. An additional benefit is when your home grown players hit FA the drafting team gets first crack at them. Further, offering an extension to a drafted player early gives financial security to a player and cost control to a team. A win-win for team and player alike.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    The draft with minor free agent signings. Baseball and basketball championship teams are built via free agency than football because football is a team game. Changing rosters and organizations is very rare in football if you're a star player. Plus with the franchise tag, top players rarely hit the market.

vCash
    What? Of course it is. You build through the draft and patch and supplement through free agency.

Look at the 2012 Eagles and look at the 2013 Seahawks.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Yeah and it's the same for baseball. Championship teams usually draft pretty well and supplement their young core with expensive free agents.

The Yankees and Red Sox may always spend a lot, but they've always had their own great home grown talents at the core.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    The draft with minor free agent signings. Baseball and basketball championship teams are built via free agency than football because football is a team game. Changing rosters and organizations is very rare in football if you're a star player. Plus with the franchise tag, top players rarely hit the market.
    Its a lot of drafting for basketball too. Look at all the top teams one of their two best players were likely drafted by that team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian. View Post
    Yeah and it's the same for baseball. Championship teams usually draft pretty well and supplement their young core with expensive free agents.

The Yankees and Red Sox may always spend a lot, but they've always had their own great home grown talents at the core.
    Sox don't spend as much as you would think anymore. We're getting to paying our own talent. Supplement with guys like Nappoli and AJ.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

Click here to see how awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Pride View Post
    Its a lot of drafting for basketball too. Look at all the top teams one of their two best players were likely drafted by that team.
    Oklahoma City Thunder.

Kevin Durant
    Westbrook
    Harden (gone, obviously)
    Ibaka
    Collison (Sonics)
    Jeff Green (gone)

I'm probably missing someone.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    It's a combination of everything. You have to draft well first and foremost of course but you also shouldn't just completely ignore free agents and trade possibilities. Read on SI.com that John Schneider was the one responsible for the Packers signing Charles Woodson back in the day and he was obviously a big part of their success. Since he left GB the Packers have stayed out of the FA market pretty much completely and I think it has hurt them a bit and stopped them from reaching their full potential. I don't understand why a team wouldn't want to utilize all potential avenues to build the talent level of a team.

John brings a strong skill-set gleaned from many years of experience despite remaining relatively young at age 42. He had two stints in Green Bay, a previous position in Seattle, a few years in Kansas City and a year in Washington. He certainly subscribes to the “draft and develop” approach honed in Green Bay and appreciates the valuable currency that draft picks represent in the modern NFL. However, John’s philosophy does not restrict talent acquisition to the draft; he will aggressively venture into free agency and trades to pursue a particular talent. He can even become fixated on certain players, as I sense happened with Percy Harvin this past offseason.

A week into the 2006 free agent period we took notice that the Raiders’ Charles Woodson, a potentially elite player, was still unsigned. We debated entering a negotiation, with me asking my usual red flag question concerning lack of interest from the incumbent team: “If the Raiders, who know him best, don’t want him back, then why should we want him?” Additionally, chasing a player like Woodson was not in our DNA.

John, however, pressed the issue: Woodson was available and could help us; everything else was secondary. After a month of difficult negotiations—Woodson was ambivalent about joining the Packers even though we were offering significantly more than any other team—we finally reached an agreement. John spearheaded the effort to acquire Woodson, who went on to become Defensive Player of the Year for the Packers and was one of the truly impactful free-agent signings in NFL history.
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/29/super-...hawks-success/
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 02-07-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Sox don't spend as much as you would think anymore. We're getting to paying our own talent. Supplement with guys like Nappoli and AJ.
    That's what I was saying. Theyre paying their home grown guys the big money. At some point, you'll have to pay your guys. I have nonissue with them paying the bulk of their salaries towards the home grown talent to keep the core together.

The best teams draft well and supplement with spots where they can't fill from within.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    It's a combination of everything. You have to draft well first and foremost of course but you also shouldn't just completely ignore free agents and trade possibilities. Read on SI.com that John Schneider was the one responsible for the Packers signing Charles Woodson back in the day and he was obviously a big part of their success. Since he left GB the Packers have stayed out of the FA market pretty much completely and I think it has hurt them a bit and stopped them from reaching their full potential. I don't understand why a team wouldn't want to utilize all potential avenues to build the talent level of a team.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/29/super-...hawks-success/
    Yeah it's a combination, but drafing is our M.O and it's clear.

We were dumpster diving the entire first two years. We set records for transactions. We drafted well, and found people like Brandon Browner in Canada.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Find your star players in the draft, and use free agency to bolster depth.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash
    Even if you look at the teams that "built through the draft" many of those drafted players are on second and third contracts that pay them like you would a free agent signing. The difference is that it's much easier to evaluate a guy and determine if he's worth playing when you've been coaching him for 3-4 years already. If you could evaluate outside free agents as well as you do internal free agents it wouldn't matter. But being able to do that isn't a realistic goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Seattle showed us how to build through The Draft .

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    Seattle showed us how to build through The Draft .
    Seattle showed us?

Pretty sure its been done with more in house players.
    How do you say magic in Russian?

Don't forget about the Gustav

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast