Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

So how quick can this rebuild be?

Well the trade deadline is approaching and the Sabres have plenty of players still left to trade. Being that the Islanders are not deferring the pick for Vanek, The Sabres will have 6 out of the first 60 picks in the draft.

We will most likely get more, being that Miller will definitely get traded. Moulson is going to be out of here and we can most certainly say good bye to Ott. Ott says all the right stuff to the media, but face it, at his age, with his desire to play on a competing team, there is no way he sticks around and resigns with Buffalo and finishes his career rebuilding a team. That may be an extra 3 first round picks the Sabres could end up receiving.

Murray has a great track record when finding talent, so maybe this rebuild gets done quicker? Probably not a one year thing, being that this team has a lot of players that need to be released.

Stafford and Leino, should not be apart of this teams plans. Then we have D'Augustino and Omark who should be gone. This Team should be done with Ennis, but being he is the fastest skater on the team, with so many other people out the door, he probably has another year left here.

The only players who are sure to be here next year are Girgensons, Hodgson, Foligno, Myers and Ehroff. Everyone else is just guess.

vCash

So how quick can this rebuild be?

I'm going to say 3 years at least before we can even get excited about a season unfortunately. No matter how many draft picks we get it's going to take time to develop and it doesn't look like they're keeping any good vets around.

vCash
    But I don't want to wait three years. lol.

Hopefully Murray can turn it around quickly. He has a good track record when it comes to identifying talent.

Rumor is, Benning was originally going to get the GM job. Boston Media reported that Benning actually walked around the arena and said his goodbyes to the employees and some of the media that he trusted.

What changed was; Murray sent Patty Ottawa's 2012 NHL Draft book. The book that Murray personally rated and graded each and every player. In that draft, Buffalo picked Grigerenko 12th, Girgenson 14th and Ottawa had the 15th pick. Apparently Murray had Grigerenko graded a 2nd round project if available. That projection, along with whatever else that was in the book, sealed the deal for Murray.
    Last edited by sabres11; 02-17-2014 at 10:48 AM.

vCash
    The length of the rebuild depends on Ryan resigning, and I truly believe that's what they are trying to do.
    I know the chances are slim , let's face it he really wants to be close to California. For a minute lets say he does resign, then OTT will probably stay, Moulson probably not, who says they have to use all of these picks for drafting more young talent. Hopefully they will get the #1 pick and obviously they would use it. They are just a few good players away from being back in the playoffs - primarily a #1 Centerman. They will have ton's of cap space next year. Sabres 11 , agreed with most of what you said, but Ennis is a keeper, They should probably buyout Leino early next season. Actually even if Ryan leaves we might get a good goalie in return like Hillier or Havlac - and cost less, This ship might turnaround quicker than we think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TKSABRES View Post
    The length of the rebuild depends on Ryan resigning, and I truly believe that's what they are trying to do.
    I know the chances are slim , let's face it he really wants to be close to California. For a minute lets say he does resign, then OTT will probably stay, Moulson probably not, who says they have to use all of these picks for drafting more young talent. Hopefully they will get the #1 pick and obviously they would use it. They are just a few good players away from being back in the playoffs - primarily a #1 Centerman. They will have ton's of cap space next year. Sabres 11 , agreed with most of what you said, but Ennis is a keeper, They should probably buyout Leino early next season. Actually even if Ryan leaves we might get a good goalie in return like Hillier or Havlac - and cost less, This ship might turnaround quicker than we think.
    I really hope so, the scenarios sound good but so far all I've been reading is where's Ryan miller gonna end up, so, with that in mind who are they keeping? Unless they pick up a nice FA or 2 after the season to build with, or trade for people they want to build with, I don't see it. I did hear they are interested in Callahan from the rangers so idk. I'd love to see them competitive sooner than later.

vCash
    IMO, there is no way Miller resigns. With his age, along with how long away we are from competing, he is as good as gone. I also think that any offer Murray gets for Miller, will probably help us out more than signing Miller before the deadline.

Even if Miller wanted to stay, I am betting that Murray tells Miller, we trade you away now for a kings ransom, and then just resign with us in August. If Miller truly wants to stay here, that would be the route he takes. He gets to go to a contender and play in the playoffs for the rest of the year, along with giving the Sabres some talent in a trade, then still gets to come home when free agency begins.

Ott and Moulson are a little bit different. Ott is older and wants to go to the playoffs and win the cup. He does not want to stay on a team and rebuild, then finish of his career never even getting a chance to achieve his main goal.

Moulson is younger and wants to resign a long term deal somewhere and find a place he can call home. I doubt that is Buffalo.

vCash
    I can't see Ennis being keeper. During Ennis' rookie year, I told my buddy that this team cannot afford to have Gerbe and Ennis on the same team. We argued back and forth about who is better, and of course I went with Gerbe, just because he has more heart. Ennis lacks the emotion that Gerbe gave every night.

I always compared Ennis' game to Maximum Afinogenov. Both players touch the puck and the crowd stands in excitement. But then, both players get checked off the puck so quickly and all we pretty much see is a whole lot of nothing. I cant even tell you how many games I have watched, where Ennis skates around in circles in the oppositions end, but the play ends as soon as he tries to pass the puck. A few times this year, he is skating all over the place putting on pressure, but then he screws up and he actually skated over the blue line, causing an off sides. Moving forward, I don't think this team should have him in their plans with a rebuild.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I can't see Ennis being keeper. During Ennis' rookie year, I told my buddy that this team cannot afford to have Gerbe and Ennis on the same team. We argued back and forth about who is better, and of course I went with Gerbe, just because he has more heart. Ennis lacks the emotion that Gerbe gave every night.

I always compared Ennis' game to Maximum Afinogenov. Both players touch the puck and the crowd stands in excitement. But then, both players get checked off the puck so quickly and all we pretty much see is a whole lot of nothing. I cant even tell you how many games I have watched, where Ennis skates around in circles in the oppositions end, but the play ends as soon as he tries to pass the puck. A few times this year, he is skating all over the place putting on pressure, but then he screws up and he actually skated over the blue line, causing an off sides. Moving forward, I don't think this team should have him in their plans with a rebuild.

Yeah I hear what your saying, I do like Ennis though lol

vCash
    IMO, there is no way Miller resigns. With his age, along with how long away we are from competing, he is as good as gone. I also think that any offer Murray gets for Miller, will probably help us out more than signing Miller before the deadline.

Even if Miller wanted to stay, I am betting that Murray tells Miller, we trade you away now for a kings ransom, and then just resign with us in August. If Miller truly wants to stay here, that would be the route he takes. He gets to go to a contender and play in the playoffs for the rest of the year, along with giving the Sabres some talent in a trade, then still gets to come home when free agency begins.

Ott and Moulson are a little bit different. Ott is older and wants to go to the playoffs and win the cup. He does not want to stay on a team and rebuild, then finish of his career never even getting a chance to achieve his main goal.

Moulson is younger and wants to resign a long term deal somewhere and find a place he can call home. I doubt that is Buffalo.
    I agree with all of this, I don't think we'll be getting miller back though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0310 View Post
    I agree with all of this, I don't think we'll be getting miller back though

My buddy lives in Canada. He said that the talk there on their radio shows is that Vancouver could be willing to trade us Kessler and a pick for Miller, as long as Buffalo would take Luongo and his contract off their hands. The believe in Vancouver is that if they were able to free up his salary cap hit, they would be huge players in the free agent market.

vCash
    But I don't want to wait three years. lol.

Hopefully Murray can turn it around quickly. He has a good track record when it comes to identifying talent.

Rumor is, Benning was originally going to get the GM job. Boston Media reported that Benning actually walked around the arena and said his goodbyes to the employees and some of the media that he trusted.

What changed was; Murray sent Patty Ottawa's 2012 NHL Draft book. The book that Murray personally rated and graded each and every player. In that draft, Buffalo picked Grigerenko 12th, Girgenson 14th and Ottawa had the 15th pick. Apparently Murray had Grigerenko graded a 2nd round project if available. That projection, along with whatever else that was in the book, sealed the deal for Murray.
    Dude, you are full of awesome information. That's an awesome story....so basically he saw what everyone is seeing now that Grigorenko is still in need of development.

vCash
    I just hope Murray comes as advertised and finds the talent his track record has shown. This is what the Sabres have to work with. If I forgot anything Please Add.

Coming up,

we have 2 picks from the Kings for Robin Regher. A 2nd round pick in 2014 and a 2nd in 2015.

For Pominville, we have Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 2014.

For Miller, I will say right now, one of the two conditions will be met and we will get a 1st round pick in 2014 and 2015.

For Vanek, we get a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick in 2015. Because of McDavid, and because the Islanders do not want to go without a 1st and 2nd in 2015. I think Buffalo will get their 2014 1st.

So including our pick, Sabres will have 3 first round picks and 3 2nd round picks in 2014. Did I leave anything out?

And just think Moulson, Halak, Stewart, Myers, Erhoff. 4 potential 1st rounders.

vCash
    I just hope Murray comes as advertised and finds the talent his track record has shown. This is what the Sabres have to work with. If I forgot anything Please Add.

Coming up,

we have 2 picks from the Kings for Robin Regher. A 2nd round pick in 2014 and a 2nd in 2015.

For Pominville, we have Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 2014.

For Miller, I will say right now, one of the two conditions will be met and we will get a 1st round pick in 2014 and 2015.

For Vanek, we get a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick in 2015. Because of McDavid, and because the Islanders do not want to go without a 1st and 2nd in 2015. I think Buffalo will get their 2014 1st.

So including our pick, Sabres will have 3 first round picks and 3 2nd round picks in 2014. Did I leave anything out?

And just think Moulson, Halak, Stewart, Myers, Erhoff. 4 potential 1st rounders.
    I think this is accurate. I personally am more interested in 2015 because of McDavid and Eichel. Imagine if we can pull off both.