Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Open tryouts for first base

If there's one thing i hate about baseball it's pre-conceived notions.

Pre-conceived notions.

That's when your team has been losing for years but your starting eight is all set even before Spring Training starts. Makes no sense.

Now I'm not going to argue that we should have open tryouts for third base (David Wright), catcher (dar-no), second base (Murph), left field (Grandy) or even centerfield (Lagares).

Young Chris Young is probably our right fielder since, who are we trying to kid, we don't have anyone else there anyway. And since we have no one presently to play shortstop, it might not be a bad idea to take a look at the kid who peddles hot dogs on the first base line at Port St Lucie.

But first base, ah, there's the biggie. ""Maybe this is the year Ike puts it all together" "Let's see what Duda can do!"

Those are fair sentiments heading into ST. But here's my point: How about we start off with a blank slate? How about we hold open tryouts for first base and let the best man win?

Open tryouts. Let everyone in all of baseball, certainly in the Mets organization, know that there is a full time major league job open at first base for the New York Mets. Come one, come all. May the best man win!

Are you listening, Wilmer Flores? Are you listening, Josh Satin? Are you listening, Zack Lutz? (is he even still around?)

Now is the time to step it up. No one is the favorite here. No one is assured a job. You want to play baseball in the major leagues for the New York National League team, you've got to earn it!

What say you, all of you?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

vCash
    Outside of Catcher and 3rd base, none of the positions should be set.
    That's not to say Grandy won't play, but he is either our LFer or RFer. The same with CY but RF or CF.

Why are we handing CF to Lagares?

Why are we handing 2nd base to Murphy?
    What if Flores goes gonzo in spring like he did in winter ball?

Don't even get me going about SS.

No one should be handed their job, "They Earn It."

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Amen to that. d'Arnaud has to be "handed" the job if he's healthy. There should be competition for the backup C though (Teagarden, Recker and Centeno).

vCash
    and of course Wright is our 3bman. and I agree Grandy and CY will play somewhere if the OF (alignment is pending). And either Murphy or Flores at 2b (but IF Flores shows he can play ss...???)

vCash
    Problem with the open tryouts thing is that its still Spring Training... and we don't know if that is the best way to judge a player.

For instance, Ike can have a great ST... it doesn't mean he'll do it in the big leagues. Can say the same for Duda.

We are ultimately talking about a small sample size against inconsistent/unreliable competition.

Which is why you have to narrow the field down a bit.

Do you really want to give the 1b job to Zach Lutz just because he has a good ST?
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Problem with the open tryouts thing is that its still Spring Training... and we don't know if that is the best way to judge a player.

For instance, Ike can have a great ST... it doesn't mean he'll do it in the big leagues. Can say the same for Duda.

We are ultimately talking about a small sample size against inconsistent/unreliable competition.

Which is why you have to narrow the field down a bit.

Do you really want to give the 1b job to Zach Lutz just because he has a good ST?
    I agree. But you've got to start somewhere.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    and of course Wright is our 3bman. and I agree Grandy and CY will play somewhere if the OF (alignment is pending). And either Murphy or Flores at 2b (but IF Flores shows he can play ss...???)
    We know Murphy is a major league hitter. You put him in the lineup, he hits. And he can handle second base defensively.

As for the hitting part, we don't know that about Ike, Duda, Flores, etc. So we're covered at second base. The hitter who steps up should go to first. (But that'as a quibble. If the hitter who steps it up, like Flores, is more comfortable at second, then sure, you can move Murph to first)

Forget about Flores at shortstop, ok? That was Sandy having fun with you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Amen to that. d'Arnaud has to be "handed" the job if he's healthy. There should be competition for the backup C though (Teagarden, Recker and Centeno).
    Back up? Back up? You want I should worry about backups?

Oy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Outside of Catcher and 3rd base, none of the positions should be set.
    That's not to say Grandy won't play, but he is either our LFer or RFer. The same with CY but RF or CF.

Why are we handing CF to Lagares?

Why are we handing 2nd base to Murphy?
    What if Flores goes gonzo in spring like he did in winter ball?

Don't even get me going about SS.

No one should be handed their job, "They Earn It."
    What am I missing here? I've got three guys on this roster capable of playing a major league outfield:

Grandy.
    Lagares.
    Young.

You're telling me Young and Grandy are better defensively than Lagares?

Ok, i did forget about mr den Dekker (which could be another potential thread, Between d'Arnaud and den Dekker, has a team ever had two players on its team whose last names began with lower case letters? Bt i digress....). I would be open to a possible platoon in centerfield.

Yeah, den Dekker deserves at least a look see....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    What am I missing here? I've got three guys on this roster capable of playing a major league outfield:

Grandy.
    Lagares.
    Young.

Ok, i did forget about mr den Dekker (which could be another potential thread, Between d'Arnaud and den Dekker, has a team ever had two players on its team whose last names began with lower case letters? Bt i digress....). I would be open to a possible platoon in centerfield.

Eric Young is the name you seek.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I agree. But you've got to start somewhere.
    I'm sure Ike and Duda will be competing for the job of left handed platoon at 1b, with Ike having the upperhand in that competition. Barring a trade, it is Ike's job to lose.

As for the right handed platoon, Satin is the front runner. I'm sure the Mets will take a look at a few other options and if someone else impresses, they will have our attention, which will shorten Satin's leash.

Wilmer isn't the first option unless he starts hitting for power. I think the Mets still want to groom him into a 2b for the time being. Down the road, if the other options all fail, I could see Wilmer getting the nod at 1b at some point during the season. If he hits some bombs in ST, maybe he opens our eyes and puts himself into this conversation.

But, barring extreme results in ST, I doubt anything changes.

What I am saying is, there is no need for an open tryout. Just let Ike and Duda compete for the lefty platoon role and that should be enough competition to light a fire under their arses.

Satin is a guy who is competing with himself just to stay relevant to the big league team. I'm sure he knows this is probably his last and only chance to earn a legit role for a big league team. I doubt throwing Zack Lutz into the competition makes a difference.
    DUDA

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I have no doubt in my mind that Terry Collins prefers to use EYJ as his leadoff hitter, so if he has a very good ST and/or Lagares or CY struggles at all... TC will find a way to throw EYJ into his lineup as much as possible.

You can bank on that.

The truth about EYJ is that he is probably just a 4th OF/backup middle infielder. He is like an Endy Chavez (obviously not the same type of defensive player) in terms of his role and how much playing time he should get. I am glad to have him on the team. Having said that, EYJ also hasn't had many chances to prove his true worth as an everyday player. His OBP in particular has been sporadic over his career and that is mainly due to him being a player who has rarely ever gotten consistent playing time in an everyday role.

While I am more intrigued by EYJ than others in this forum, I still don't think it is enough to take too much playing time from guys like Lagares and CY.

Lagares is a young defensive stud who we need to throw out there in CF as much as possible to see if the value he created last year was sustainable, because if it is, he is one of our most valuable, young position players. Last season he was our 4th most valuable player. He only played 120 games, not starting them all. His defensive value would have been about +30 last year in a full season which is one hell of an attention grabber. Whether you believe in his true value or not, you have to at least give him a chance to prove his value is legit and that means you gotta play him almost every day. He had about a 3.0 WAR last year without even playing a full season.

CY is a guy I expect to bounce back to some degree. He has proven to be a solid regular in the past and he deserves to get an extended look to start the season. We didn't bring him here to be a backup. Having said that, if TC wants to give him a day off every now and then against RHP, then I am fine with that.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 02-06-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    DUDA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation:27932673

Grandy.
    Lagares.
    Young.

I swear to God im going senile.

I take everything back.

Everything.

Eric Young plays second, Murph moves to first, Grandy in left dD and Lagares platoon in center, YCY (Young Chris Young) plays right, sign Stephen Fing Drew already. Package Duda Davis and Tejada,in a deal with some Japanese team and get whatever you can for that trash. Use Flores to back up at second or third in case Wright gets hurt.

And watch this team win a world series.

LETS GO METS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast