Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the #13 prospect?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robert Gsellman

0 0%
  • Domingo Tapia

0 0%
  • Luis Mateo

4 33.33%
  • Gavin Cecchini

4 33.33%
  • Chris Flexen

0 0%
  • Wilfredo Tovar

0 0%
  • Matt Koch

0 0%
  • Dustin Lawley

1 8.33%
  • Casey Meisner

0 0%
  • Champ Stuart

0 0%
  • Michael Fulmer

0 0%
  • Cory Mazzoni

0 0%
  • Jeurys Familia

0 0%
  • Vic Black

1 8.33%
  • Erik Goeddel

0 0%
  • Jeff Walters

0 0%
  • Gabriel Ynoa

2 16.67%
  • Luis Cessa

0 0%
  • Jayce Boyd

0 0%
  • Jack Leathersich

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2014 PSD Mets Forum #13 Prospect

Vote for who you think is the Mets #13 prospect.

vCash
    Going with Ynoa here. Another year like last year and he is going to start skyrocketing up some of the rankings.

vCash
    Cecchini.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash

2014 PSD Mets Forum #13 Prospect

Mateo or Cecchini for me. I will decide later.

vCash
    No way I put Cecchini this high. So far all he's shown is one tool...defense, and even that isn't good enough to make him a high prospect in my opinion. He has been ranked high because of his draft spot, but the farm has a lot more depth now. He's got a lot to prove.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    No way I put Cecchini this high. So far all he's shown is one tool...defense, and even that isn't good enough to make him a high prospect in my opinion. He has been ranked high because of his draft spot, but the farm has a lot more depth now. He's got a lot to prove.
    Whats wrong with choosing him here because of his draft spot? First rounders are usually pretty good prospects. I agree at a certain point his draft position loses its value, but HE'S 19! His prospect stock has dropped too much imo, has played in just 109 games since being drafted out of high school 2 years ago. He was able to slash .273/.319 in Brooklyn last year. That's not bad at all. People are being to hard on him. I probably would have had him in the 10-11 range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Whats wrong with choosing him here because of his draft spot? First rounders are usually pretty good prospects. I agree at a certain point his draft position loses its value, but HE'S 19! His prospect stock has dropped too much imo, has played in just 109 games since being drafted out of high school 2 years ago. He was able to slash .273/.319 in Brooklyn last year. That's not bad at all. People are being to hard on him. I probably would have had him in the 10-11 range.
    He's droppped slightly, but it's more that others moved ahead of him in my eyes. If this system was how it was 2-3 years ago, he'd be in our Top 10 quite easily imo.

He needs to make some changes to his swing and approach though. He's a very slappy hitter right now. He has some potential power, but it's away from being game-usable.

Anywhere from #13 to #15 seems right to me. He plays an above average SS due to his instincts which is a nice thing at his age.

vCash
    Matteo or Cecchini. Those are the two with the most upside here. Then maybe Fulmer.

vCash
    Mateo

vCash
    I actually went with Vic Black here.

2 reasons:

2) I think Black will end up being a solid 8th inning reliever type and he is basically MLB ready.

1) I don't believe any of the other names out there will be more valuable than a solid 8th inning reliever type and most of them are not quite MLB ready yet.

I know that Black is purely a reliever and because of that, some of the other guys on the list have more upside, but that doesn't change the fact that I personally believe that Black will have a greater impact at the MLB level than the other names mentioned.

I really don't like Cecchini at all. I don't think he will be more valuable than a high leverage reliever.

As for guys like Mateo and Fullmer, I just need to see more from them after their injuries. It is really hard for me to rank these pitchers who suffered injuries and don't have the experience at the higher minor league levels.

I'll take the safe pick with Black... a guy with whom I liked what I saw from when he got his cup of coffee at the major league level. His floor is safe IMO as I think he will be a useful reliever at the very least and has a solid chance to become a good 8th inning type.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 02-06-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I'm going with Mateo. His upside is too high. Cecchini was close though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I actually went with Vic Black here.

2 reasons:

2) I think Black will end up being a solid 8th inning reliever type and he is basically MLB ready.

1) I don't believe any of the other names out there will be more valuable than a solid 8th inning reliever type and most of them are not quite MLB ready yet.

I know that Black is purely a reliever and because of that, some of the other guys on the list have more upside, but that doesn't change the fact that I personally believe that Black will have a greater impact at the MLB level than the other names mentioned.

I really don't like Cecchini at all. I don't think he will be more valuable than a high leverage reliever.

As for guys like Mateo and Fullmer, I just need to see more from them after their injuries. It is really hard for me to rank these pitchers who suffered injuries and don't have the experience at the higher minor league levels.

I'll take the safe pick with Black... a guy with whom I liked what I saw from when he got his cup of coffee at the major league level. His floor is safe IMO as I think he will be a useful reliever at the very least and has a solid chance to become a good 8th inning type.
    Either you are overvaluing an 8th inning guy, or seriously underselling the rest of the talent on this list.

Black does have his command issues, so that will have to be under control for him to reach his ceiling. He's also not a GB guy either which makes his command that more important.

vCash
    I went with Mateo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Either your reading comprehension skills are poor or you don't actually read posts. I stated that it's not so much about him falling, but more about him being passed by a deep others in a deep system.

You mention his upside, but what is his upside? His slash in Brooklyn is not impressive, whatever his age. Hitting .279 in a half season is not impressive when he doesn't draw walks or hit for power. His best tool, and the only one that has been evident is his defense...which was okay, but not good enough to carry his game.

Right now his upside looks like Wilfredo Tovar with lesser defense, and that's not a top 20 prospect.

I know some of the "minor league talent experts" here will probably slam me for that statement, but Tovar at 19 was a level higher, and had similar numbers.

Tovar at 20 was in the GCL, and had a slash line of .284/.377/.385/.762 before being promoted to AA. Do you think Cecchini can put up those kind of numbers if he's in the GCL? Can he even do it in the SAL?

Time will tell, but right now, Cecchini hasn't earned a spot this high.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Cecchini really needs to make some adjustments to his swing. He needs to get back to where he was in his junior year of HS where he hit .532 with 13 doubles and 11 homers. As a senior, his numbers dipped.

Here's Gavin from the summer of 2011 in the Area code games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcxdWvLMJLc

...and in the Under Armour All-America showcase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8vy6adpQM

Swing looked compact with some power and he seems to use his legs well.

Now here's Cecchini in Kingsport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kfvhw5lY4s

He's got some potential that hasn't been unlocked yet, but it's going to take quality coaching to get it out of him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast