Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavs Fire Sale

vCash

Cavs Fire Sale

It's obvious to everyone but Chris Grant that this steaming piece of crap is due for a massive overhaul. Jeff Phelps claims that this roster only needs small tweaking then relates it to OKC trading Harden. It's clear that Jeff Phelps is either smoking crack with Campy Russell between breaks or delivering that POSITIVE message requested by owner Dan "Cosmic Sans" Gilbert. I'll go with the later since at least Phelps is fighting for his job unlike the players on the court.
    So, what would you do to fix this roster? Yes, this season has gotten so bad we've resorted to playing NBA Trade Machine...

vCash
    The piece I'd be trying hardest to trade is Jarrett Jack just to get out of his contract. Outside of that I'd look to move Varejao and Miles so that they can play for a winning team and not have to put up with this. I'm not giving up on our young pieces though. There's no reason Kyrie and Dion can't play together outside of immaturity and absolutely terrible offensive schemes/lineups used when they're on the court together. The biggest problem here is the culture and I'd rather give up on Grant and Brown then two young dynamic guards. The only piece of the young core I'd completely understand dealing is Tristan. He's fine as a 1 on 1 defender and is a solid rebounder but his offensive rebounding is overrated. He's able to get so many because his defender rarely has to pay any attention to him which allows him space to get to the basket for extra rebounds. Factor in that his defender is always able to be in help position to clog the lane against Kyrie and Dion and he just doesn't fit. That's a major part of the reason Kyrie and Dion have absolutely terrible numbers finishing at the rim this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    The piece I'd be trying hardest to trade is Jarrett Jack just to get out of his contract. Outside of that I'd look to move Varejao and Miles so that they can play for a winning team and not have to put up with this. I'm not giving up on our young pieces though. There's no reason Kyrie and Dion can't play together outside of immaturity and absolutely terrible offensive schemes/lineups used when they're on the court together. The biggest problem here is the culture and I'd rather give up on Grant and Brown then two young dynamic guards. The only piece of the young core I'd completely understand dealing is Tristan. He's fine as a 1 on 1 defender and is a solid rebounder but his offensive rebounding is overrated. He's able to get so many because his defender rarely has to pay any attention to him which allows him space to get to the basket for extra rebounds. Factor in that his defender is always able to be in help position to clog the lane against Kyrie and Dion and he just doesn't fit. That's a major part of the reason Kyrie and Dion have absolutely terrible numbers finishing at the rim this year.
    Two coaches and Kyrie and Dion still can't play together. If we're giving up on Grant then we have to give up on his vision too. Here's what I proposed in the other thread... Waiters, TT, and Felix for Neal and Sanders...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kx57lk3

I'm open to trading Kyrie too!

vCash
    Jack and TT for Afflalo and Lamb

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=loyz9s7

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    I like the way you think, Arch. I've been kicking around taking on some salary from the Pelicans...they have a bunch of big contracts and pieces that don't necessarily fit together. Have to include a third team to sweeten it, but something like this

CLE receives: Evans, Afflalo, Glen Davis
    ORL receives: Clark, Gee, Miles + MEM #1 2015 + MIA #1 2014
    NOLA receives: Waiters and Varejao + MEM #2 2014

This is really telling the world that CLE is for real. This gives ORL cap room and extra picks in the first-round, which is what they want, and it rids them of Big Baby. NOLA is instantly a contender in 2015 with a strong starting 5 of Holiday/Gordon/Waiters/Davis/Varejao (or some combination)

CLE gets real serious with a starting five of Irving/Afflalo/Deng/TT/Zeller with a bench of Jack/Evans/Bennett/Davis.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mtkkd3y

Probably unrealistic still. What's going to REALLY happen is that we are going to ship Waiters and Gee to MIN for Kevin Martin or some other old guy (think OJ Mayo) who is overpaid and underperforming.

vCash
    Jack, TT, and Waiters for Josh Smith

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k9vlfvd

vCash
    Kyrie Irving for Trey Burke and Gordan Hayward

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n2f9crk

vCash
    If some of the trades worked out we could have a potential lineup of:

PG: Burke, Jack, Delly
    SG: Hayward, Miles
    SF: Deng, Bennett, Gee
    PF: AV, Clark, Sims
    C: Sanders, Zeller

This team would still suck. But we would get rid of some of the heartless players. And we'd have some rim protection from Sanders.

vCash
    Or it could be:

PG: Burke, Delly
    SG: Hayward, Miles
    SF: Deng, Gee
    PF: Smith, Clark
    C: AV, Zeller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Jack, TT, and Waiters for Josh Smith

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k9vlfvd
    POISON. Why in the world would we do that, and why in the world would they do that? TT is basically a slightly less competent version of Monroe. Jack and Waiters wouldn't mesh with Stuckey and Jennings at all. No offense, that's just garbage.

Irving for Burke and Hayward is GOLD. PURE GOLD. I would likely want back Gobert as well.

The real problem is that we need to trade guards, but what we need back are big men. Look at all the last 10 Finals Champs...
    2012-2013: James and Bosh
    2011: Nowitzki and Chandler
    2009-2010: Bynum and Gasol
    2008: Garnett
    03,05,2007: Duncan
    00,01,02,06: Shaq
    2004: Wallace x2

To win in this league, you need a dominant 4 or 5. Like top-10 dominant. Instead of kicking the tires around on guards, we should really be looking for competent, top-15 big men.

Out of the top 10 PFs and top 10 Cs in PER, the only ones that could possibly be available are Lee, Millsap, and Blatche.

So instead of worrying about more guards, we should be trying to get stud 4s and 5s, hopefully ones that can either stretch the floor (Lee) or get a **** load of rebounds and blocks. GS is in a good position, but they can't afford to keep everyone they have. We could realistically swoon Lee off of them for Waiters/Varejao, but then we need a defensive C to complement the offensive PF.

Right now, we just have a bunch of pieces that don't fit. Ideally, you have a 8+ assist PG, a 20+ ppt SG, a 3 and D SF, a PF who goes like 20/8 and can hit an 18-footer, and a C who gets 1-2 b/gm and 10+ boards. I mean, look at Indiana, that's almost exactly what they have. Miami is the same. Similar with LAC. It just works in today's game.

Blow it all up and get that. Varejao, Irving, Deng can stay, everyone else is on the block if I'm Grant.

...and boom goes the dynamite...

vCash
    Or you could keep the pouting Irving...

PG: Irving, Delly
    SG: Miles, Neal
    SF: Deng, Bennett, Gee
    PF: AV, Clark, Sims
    C: Sanders, Zeller

Roster is more balanced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandFuture View Post
    POISON. Why in the world would we do that, and why in the world would they do that? TT is basically a slightly less competent version of Monroe. Jack and Waiters wouldn't mesh with Stuckey and Jennings at all. No offense, that's just garbage.

Irving for Burke and Hayward is GOLD. PURE GOLD. I would likely want back Gobert as well.

The real problem is that we need to trade guards, but what we need back are big men. Look at all the last 10 Finals Champs...
    2012-2013: James and Bosh
    2011: Nowitzki and Chandler
    2009-2010: Bynum and Gasol
    2008: Garnett
    03,05,2007: Duncan
    00,01,02,06: Shaq
    2004: Wallace x2

To win in this league, you need a dominant 4 or 5. Like top-10 dominant. Instead of kicking the tires around on guards, we should really be looking for competent, top-15 big men.

Out of the top 10 PFs and top 10 Cs in PER, the only ones that could possibly be available are Lee, Millsap, and Blatche.

So instead of worrying about more guards, we should be trying to get stud 4s and 5s, hopefully ones that can either stretch the floor (Lee) or get a **** load of rebounds and blocks. GS is in a good position, but they can't afford to keep everyone they have. We could realistically swoon Lee off of them for Waiters/Varejao, but then we need a defensive C to complement the offensive PF.

Right now, we just have a bunch of pieces that don't fit. Ideally, you have a 8+ assist PG, a 20+ ppt SG, a 3 and D SF, a PF who goes like 20/8 and can hit an 18-footer, and a C who gets 1-2 b/gm and 10+ boards. I mean, look at Indiana, that's almost exactly what they have. Miami is the same. Similar with LAC. It just works in today's game.

Blow it all up and get that. Varejao, Irving, Deng can stay, everyone else is on the block if I'm Grant.

...and boom goes the dynamite...
    I think Josh Smith is a piece that does not fit in Detroit. He's playing out of position as a SF when he should be playing PF where he performs better. Smith is also playing with two shooting guards in Stuckey and Jennings. And we be shedding of Jacks contract. TT is not very good and I'd much rather have Monroe. But they will not give up Monroe unless we trade Irving. Unfortunately with a fire sale you have to sell low. It's not a trade I love but it certainly shakes things up.

vCash
    ^^^ Also this would give Detroit a PG in Jack. Then they could move Stuckey in another deal.

vCash
    Do you think they would actually take Jack back? I guess if they are shedding Smith's contract, they could afford to take him back, and he more or less fits within their "culture." I don't know if LARRY SANDERS! and Varejao could co-exist. Varejao is really a defensive C, and having two of those on the court together doesn't work (See Howard + Asik). Gary Neal is a great pickup, and would replace Jack. I like that a lot.

Something like TT, Miles and Varejao for Sanders, Mayo, and Neal + Waiters, Clark and Jack for Smith and Bynum could really work. Then we are looking like

Irving/Neal/Delly
    Mayo/Bynum
    Deng/Gee
    Smith/Bennett
    Sanders/Zeller

We are still short on big men there, but I think that Bennett can shift back to 4 in that scenario. But, again, it's a tough sell. The reasoning for each team is there. What you said about the Pistons. They pick up Jack and Waiters to go with Jennings, Drummond and Monroe, and they can start Clark at the 3 or Singler. The Bucks move away from Mayo, Neal, and LARRY SANDERS! and pick up a Varejao and Thompson, who would mesh better with Henson and Middlethon.

I honestly really like this trade (it's two separate trades, but I just used it as one).

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mtkfgbr

vCash
    @ESPNCleveland: According to @wojyahoonba , the #Cavs have fired general manager Chris Grant.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast