84. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6-0

51 60.71%
  • 5-4

33 39.29%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

More Impressive: 6-0 in Finals or 5-4 in Finals

People love to reference the fact that Jordan is 6-0 in NBA Finals but I've never seen anybody try and sell anyone on the validity of Magic Johnson's legacy because of his 5-4 record in the Finals. I don't even have one ounce of my body that is trying to argue Magic had a better career than MJ. All I'm saying is that getting to the Finals 9 times is more impressive than getting there 6 times. The question is does that extra championship make MJ's appearances superior to Magic's? I vote for getting there 9 times and winning 5 but I honestly have no idea what the rest of voters would say. Therefore, we have a thread. Looking forward to reading all responses.
    Last edited by KnicksorBust; 02-05-2014 at 09:50 PM.

vCash
    I get where you are coming from, but Magic had chip help day 1. Jordan walks into that, he has 9-10 finals appearances as well...

You are also leaving out the fact that Mike walked away directly in the middle of his 6 year run

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    magic did it in a more competitive era with less teams (could be argued either way, but i believe that more teams means less talent)
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlumpledink View Post
    magic did it in a more competitive era with less teams (could be argued either way, but i believe that more teams means less talent)
    by that logic Russell is the GOAT.

there were 3 expansion teams in Jordan's era. Not that big of a deal imo.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    This debate pops up frequently. I've yet to be swayed that the 5-4 scenario-type is worse than the 6-0 scenario.

I think winning one less, but getting there 3 more times is a more impressive team feat. Obviously there's some context that might help and maybe help justify those 4 losses or why that other team "only" made it 6 times, but yeah.

5-4 gets my vote. If we're comparing two 11 year stretches, then it's more obvious. You might as well call that 5-4 vs. 6-0-3 or something. Because losing before the Finals is worse than losing in the Finals.

Since it's obvious this is about two players, there's no reason to decide an answer to this question and deduce that the corresponding player is thus better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I get where you are coming from, but Magic had chip help day 1. Jordan walks into that, he has 9-10 finals appearances as well...

You are also leaving out the fact that Mike walked away directly in the middle of his 6 year run
    MJ was only retired for 1 of those years. He got trounced by the Magic in 95. And I'm not sure he even beats that Houston Rockets team. Even if he didn't retire we might be lookin at 6-1. Pure projection. Magic doesn't need projection to have 9 finals...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    This debate pops up frequently. I've yet to be swayed that the 5-4 scenario-type is worse than the 6-0 scenario.

I think winning one less, but getting there 3 more times is a more impressive team feat. Obviously there's some context that might help and maybe help justify those 4 losses or why that other team "only" made it 6 times, but yeah.

5-4 gets my vote. If we're comparing two 11 year stretches, then it's more obvious. You might as well call that 5-4 vs. 6-0-3 or something. Because losing before the Finals is worse than losing in the Finals.
    I will present it to you then. Imagine if Jordan walked into the help Magic had day 1. Imagine if Jordan didn't take 18 months off in his prime run?

You are holding Jordan's runs against him because of Magic's teammates and roster support early.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    MJ was only retired for 1 of those years. He got trounced by the Magic in 95. And I'm not sure he even beats that Houston Rockets team. Even if he didn't retire we might be lookin at 6-1. Pure projection. Magic doesn't need projection to have 9 finals...
    and why ignore my point about Magic being drafted into chip help day 1?

This argument needs to be put into perspective. Here it is:

With championship help, the Bulls with Jordan were 6-0.

With championship help, the Lakers with Magic were 5-4.

vCash
    Am a little confused by the question, is it asking about in the context of Jordan and Magic careers whose finals record is more impressive? or just if this was like Robert Horry vs Steve Kerr and one of them went 6-0 while the other went 5-4 which is better? If it's the first one then easily Jordan the second is alot tougher for me although am still going with 6-0.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Lmao. He also didn't need projection to enter his rookie season with the MVP and a great supporting cast on his team. MJ had... Orlando Woodridge for 2 seasons then had to start building with the drafts of Grant and Pippen. Far different circumstances. I'll take the extra title with the perfect finals 10/10 all things considered.

vCash
    What if Michael didn't retire and had to deal with the Hakeem led Rockets in the 94 and 95 finals?

What if Magic didn't break his leg against the 89 Pistons after the Lakers swept the first 3 rounds?

What if Magic never had HIV, which I presume he played with in the 91 finals (just didn't know it at the time) and if Worthy was healthy against MJ and the Bulls, would the result be different?

These are things I've always wondered concerning Magic and MJ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    What if Michael didn't retire and had to deal with the Hakeem led Rockets in the 94 and 95 finals?

What if Magic didn't break his leg against the 89 Pistons after the Lakers swept the first 3 rounds?

What if Magic never had HIV, which I presume he played with in the 91 finals (just didn't know it at the time), would the result be different?

Magic's title days were over by the time Jordan started winning.

Again, this comes down to me at least, as Magic having chip help day 1, where as Jordan needed over half a decade to get his.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I will present it to you then. Imagine if Jordan walked into the help Magic had day 1. Imagine if Jordan didn't take 18 months off in his prime run?

You are holding Jordan's runs against him because of Magic's teammates and roster support early.
    I don't disagree. I think using something like this to compare two players is silly. But, in a vacuum, over an identical 9 year span, I'll take the 5-4 over the 6-0.

But this stuff isn't in a vacuum and that's why I don't care too much when comparing the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post

What if Magic never had HIV, which I presume he played with in the 91 finals (just didn't know it at the time) and if Worthy was healthy against MJ and the Bulls, would the result be different?

That's the other thing most people forget too.

Would a tired MJ after a three peat beat the 94-95 Rockets?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I don't disagree. I think using something like this to compare two players is silly. But, in a vacuum, over an identical 9 year span, I'll take the 5-4 over the 6-0.

But this stuff isn't in a vacuum and that's why I don't care too much when comparing the two.
    I dont understand why you would take less titles in a 9 year chance versus a 6 year chance. Magic made more finals, but won less. Pretty easy choice for me.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast