Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Baseball Prospectus has the Mets treading water

BP has them stuck at 74 wins yet again, 4th in the NL East. "This is the off-season you've been waiting for!"

Tough to see the team stuck in the mud, not getting anywhere... maybe getting somewhere on paper, growing a bit for the future, but not trending upwards in the standings.

I can't say I disagree, as:

2014 Granderson = 2013 Byrd
    2013 Harvey > 2014 Colon
    Young is a slight upgrade
    A little more pitching depth for the rotation for 2014

All in all, about even. My guess is going to be 77 wins, 79 if they get Drew.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    I pretty much agree.

77 wins is my expectation right now and anything within 2-3 wins from that number won't surprise me too much.

Signing Drew and a guy like Hanrahan would make this offseason complete and give us a legit .500 caliber team IMO.

Having said that, anything is possible. Nobody should be giving up on the season just because we look like a non-playoff team on paper.

We have a lot of young players still, and baseball is a funny game anyway. Anything can happen which is why we would like to field the best team possible... so that if we actually do overachieve, we can have a better chance to push through and make the playoffs.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 02-05-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    The Mets have lots of question marks. It's going to depend on what d'Arnaud does, same for Lagares, Wheeler, Gee, Ike, and Tejada. We have very few sure things (which is a problem). But there is potential.

vCash
    I say 77-79 as well as some things will go well and others will not.

vCash
    Where's the optimism?

84-78

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    My optimism left a long time ago, about 2009.

vCash
    I'm still a sucker for the orange and blue. Hope is what keeps me alive in this baseball prison

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Even without Harvey we have more depth and balance in our rotation, plus the outfield is better. With some improvement at 1b and C were certainly better than 74 wins. I'm thinking we're a .500 ball club.

vCash
    I'm waiting for spring training to make my official prediction, but right now my guess would be 78-82.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    BP has them stuck at 74 wins yet again, 4th in the NL East. "This is the off-season you've been waiting for!"

Tough to see the team stuck in the mud, not getting anywhere... maybe getting somewhere on paper, growing a bit for the future, but not trending upwards in the standings.

I can't say I disagree, as:

2014 Granderson = 2013 Byrd
    2013 Harvey > 2014 Colon
    Young is a slight upgrade
    A little more pitching depth for the rotation for 2014

All in all, about even. My guess is going to be 77 wins, 79 if they get Drew.
    Looks about right, but here are some other things to ponder.

Last year our SS production was so bad. Worst in the league probably. Can it be any worse? Definitely not if we sign Drew.

-You saying nothing about Ike Davis. We are all Mets fans. Surely we remember how good he once was, how promising. It's foolish to predict a comeback season after he's done nothing for a long time it seems, but there at least the possibility, and with reason.

-Young guys getting more playing time on offense (TDA, Flores, Lagares) Also Puello is knocking on the door.

vCash
    Why do they only score 623 runs?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    And why do they give up more runs without having Marcum for 78 innings, Hefner for 130 innings, Carson for 19 and Burke for 30?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Why do they only score 623 runs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    And why do they give up more runs without having Marcum for 78 innings, Hefner for 130 innings, Carson for 19 and Burke for 30?
    Isn't it obvious? This team sucks. This is a 65 win team at best.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    My optimism left a long time ago, about 2009.
    And it will re-emerge when when we have Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard and all those other pitchers anchoring our rotation for years to come... starting in 2015.

Sick Of It All's pessimism will show on the tombstone: 2009-2014

DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Is the offense really only 4 runs better?
    Dar-No should be better than Buck. He is projected to have a WRC of 64 compared to 36 for Buck. And that doesn't account for his defense as opposed to Buck. Niese in a recent interview complimented Dar-No on his ability to steal strikes because of his framing.

They expect Wright to have a bad year.
    Why, because he hurt his back 3 years ago? Come on.
    Even if he has a down year, as long as he is healthy, he should have a higher WRC.

Can Tejada be any worse than 11?

Or Ike at 36?

Granted Byrd's shoes are pretty big shoes with 69. But if Granderson plays the entire season he should be able to match that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast