Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

ESPN: Trent Richardson going back to school

INDIANAPOLIS – Indianapolis Colts running back Trent Richardson will spend the offseason with the mind frame that he’s in school.

Learn, learn and learn the playbook some more. That will be his mentality as he knows the critics are still there and he knows the excuse of not knowing the Colts’ offensive system can no longer be used.

Richardson spent too much time thinking when he took the handoff than running with the type of speed and force that made him the No. 3 overall pick in the 2012 draft.

“Learn the system, not just memorizing it,” Richardson said. “Learning the whole concept of the system. There's a difference between having it memorized and feeling comfortable with the system. I’m going talk to a lot of veteran players, talk to Adrian (Peterson), talk to (LaDainian Tomlinson) , talk to Emmitt Smith to make sure I’m the best I need to be next year.”

The Colts went from pulling off the biggest trade of last season when they acquired Richardson from the Cleveland Browns for a first-round pick to currently having the move favor the Browns after Richardson only averaged 2.9 yards a carry. The thought of the dynamic duo of Richardson and quarterback Andrew Luck has yet to come together. Richardson ended up losing the starting running back position to Donald Brown on Dec. 1, 2013.

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson defended the trade during his season-ending press conference last month. It is too soon to call Richardson a bust because he got acquired during the middle of the season. He needs a full offseason of OTA’s, minicamp and training camp before a better evaluation can be given on him.

“This is more a problem of not being in the system long enough for me,” ESPN NFL analyst Herm Edwards said as part of the top 50 offseason questions. “He's clearly got talent. But getting traded in the middle of the season is tough for any player, and his offensive line in Indianapolis wasn't very good this season. Indianapolis also needs to mix up the game plan with Richardson more when he's in the game. Too often, he would come into the game and it would be obvious the Colts were handing him the ball. He'd get hit behind the line.”

Richardson will split his offseason between Indianapolis and his hometown of Pensacola, Fla. He won’t be on the pretty beaches of Florida building sandcastles with his kids. He’ll be on the beach running sand hills and training with his old school coach.

“I’ve got a big motivation for next season,” Richardson said. “My big thing, I want to contribute to the team. As far as putting on a big show every weekend for the team, the city, the fans, I’m going to do whatever it takes. That’s a lot of motivation for me.”
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...son?src=mobile

Well, he's certainly saying the right things and it sounds like he has a really good attitude.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I saw that Hasselbeck said the same thing I've been telling my friends who bashed the trade as the season wore on and I can't remember but I might have mentioned in here.

It was scary to see a few of the the similarities in the numbers between when Lynch was traded to Seattle from Buffalo and when TRich was sent to us. I realize that Lynch was traded for like a 4th and something else and not a 1st, and I realize that Lynch had a good post season game that year but we are looking at 3.5 YPC (actually had 4.4 YPC with Buffalo before being traded) for beastmode who has been between 4 and 5 YPC since.

Both thought they were going to be more in the offense and head more towards the face of the team only to be shocked and sent away. The difference I see here is that Lynch was force fed the ball and got more carries than T Rich in 2 less games, since Forsett was the only backup of note and Brown ate into quite a few of T Rich's opportunities for big plays because he was getting the quick hits and draws....and Matt Hasselbeck isn't Andrew Luck...he is his backup and was the starting QB for Seattle that year and he and Whitehurst combined for about a game's worth of attempts and about 20 less rushing attempts taking that many more away.

Do I think T Rich will be the next coming? No clue, but he has the potential and I'm sure that many in Seattle were wondering why they traded for Lynch after his 1st year there as well.

vCash
    Im still a huge T-Rich fan and this is one of the reasons why. I love how he humbles himself and just wants to get better.

vCash
    This is one of my favorite quotes in that article:

Indianapolis also needs to mix up the game plan with Richardson more when he's in the game. Too often, he would come into the game and it would be obvious the Colts were handing him the ball. He'd get hit behind the line.”
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Maybe dropping a few pounds, not much like 5, would help him hit the holes quicker while still allowing him to be a physical runner? Anyhow, I haven't given up on him and an improved O'line is a must!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    If we can get some production from him... Brown, Ballard, Richardson? Not sure if we'll resign Choice or Bradshaw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by True Sports Fan View Post
    If we can get some production from him... Brown, Ballard, Richardson? Not sure if we'll resign Choice or Bradshaw
    Brown's a FA like Bradshaw, Choice.

<3

vCash
    I have given up on Richardson. Chud's hiring is an interesting wrinkle. He was TRich's OC as a rookie, his head coach for two games last year and then gave up on him. To think they brought Chud in to smooth things out for TRich seems off-base.

I could be wrong, my fantasy football record indicates I have many times. I'll be happy to "eat crow" if Richardson averages 4.0 YPC or more for a season, but I don't see it happening.
    Last edited by dsolms; 02-08-2014 at 05:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolms View Post
    I have given up on Richardson. Chud's hiring is an interesting wrinkle. He was TRich's OC as a rookie, his head coach for two games last year and then gave up on him. To think they brought Chud in to smooth things out for TRich seems off-base.

I could be wrong, my fantasy football record indicates I have many times. I'll be happy to "eat crow" if Richardson averages 4.0 YPC or more for a season, but I don't see it happening.
    What this means to me is Management made the move without head coach's approval. Chud was a lame duck in Cleveland last year.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213:27937493
    Brown's a FA like Bradshaw, Choice.
    Ah so we're likely looking at just Brown and Richardson? For now anyways.

vCash
    Nope. Ballard and Richardson. 3rd back needs to be a cheap change of pace/speed guy.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213:27944406
    Nope. Ballard and Richardson. 3rd back needs to be a cheap change of pace/speed guy.
    Yeah I meant Ballard. My bad. Any idea on how much interest Brown is drawing around the league?

vCash
    Yeah I meant Ballard. My bad. Any idea on how much interest Brown is drawing around the league?
    No idea, but if I were to bet on it, I don't think he'll be back here.

<3

vCash
    He really disappointed me this season. I tried to be lenient and give him a pass for the year but I couldn't help it...he angered me too much. I haven't completely given up on him but he'll be on a short leash for me.

I was also gonna mention the Lynch thing and how he turned it around after he got traded and was disappointing his first year in SEA. Hopefully TRich does the same for us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8 View Post
    He really disappointed me this season. I tried to be lenient and give him a pass for the year but I couldn't help it...he angered me too much. I haven't completely given up on him but he'll be on a short leash for me.

I was also gonna mention the Lynch thing and how he turned it around after he got traded and was disappointing his first year in SEA. Hopefully TRich does the same for us
    I honestly don't understand this line of thinking. You are mad at TRich for failing in a system that he has admitted he didn't fully understand. With the play calling for him to run between the tackles almost every time he touched the ball. Doing this with an offensive line that everyone should admit was pretty craptastic. Very rarely getting him involved in any other way like with short dump off passes. Instead simply leaving him to be met in the backfield almost ever time he touched the ball. Not even attempting to mix it up letting everyone who was watching the game know when a run was coming. If the opposing team knows almost every time you are going to run the ball what more do you expect? It wouldn't matter who was the RB in that situation they are going to fail more often than not. Part of the failure sure was on him. But I would put a MUCH higher amount of responsibility on Hamilton for failing to adjust his play calling when it was obvious to everyone else that he didn't have the O-Line to smash it in between the tackles every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast