Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kobe's legacy

vCash

Kobe's legacy

Most people already have Kobe's legacy already set in stone have Kobe somewhere in the 4-12 range all time. Now I'm asking in YOUR opinion is there anything else Kobe can do for the duration of his career that can move him up or down in legacy? Whether it be win another ring, lose all athleticism and average sub par numbers, win an MVP etc. or would you say anything he plays for now is just residual? No hate or homerism in this thread please, just state what he could do to make him go up or down and discuss. (Within the realm of reason) so obviously not winning back to back to back dpoy or anything like that.

vCash
    nothing. rings mean nothing to me, his place is already set.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Rings mean nothing to you? Wow you must be a very easy going fan. What happens if your team ever wins one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jerellh528 View Post
    Rings mean nothing to you? Wow you must be a very easy going fan. What happens if your team ever wins one?
    we were talking about a players legacy, not my interest in seeing my team win a championship. i would go banana's in that case.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Your team plays to win. How could rings mean nothing?

As for the question. I think Kobe's legacy is pretty much set in stone. I dont think he could do anything else to move him up or down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    Your team plays to win. How could rings mean nothing?

As for the question. I think Kobe's legacy is pretty much set in stone. I dont think he could do anything else to move him up or down.
    we are talking about how a player should be remembered compared to their peers i thought, not whether i would care if my team won.

as mentioned i would go bat **** crazy to see the Raptors win.

vCash
    My personal opinion:

Kobe ranks in the 8-10 range for me any given day. I don't think there is anything he can do to move up, and there is nothing he can do to drop. I say this, because I think Kobe's days as a top 5 player in the game are gone. There are also some young guys that have pushed themselves by him. And even if he plays 5 more years and sucks, I won't hold it against him at all.

I hate the guy. But if I had to describe him to my grandkids (If I ever have any), I will say he was one of the most competitive athletes I have ever seen, who went through unstoppable stretches of play, was a stone cold killer in the playoffs, and was one of the best players I have seen with my own eyes. His longevity as a top player blows my mind.

Still hate him though haha

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    My personal opinion:

Kobe ranks in the 8-10 range for me any given day. I don't think there is anything he can do to move up, and there is nothing he can do to drop. I say this, because I think Kobe's days as a top 5 player in the game are gone. There are also some young guys that have pushed themselves by him. And even if he plays 5 more years and sucks, I won't hold it against him at all.

I hate the guy. But if I had to describe him to my grandkids (If I ever have any), I will say he was one of the most competitive athletes I have ever seen, who went through unstoppable stretches of play, was a stone cold killer in the playoffs, and was one of the best players I have seen with my own eyes. His longevity as a top player blows my mind.

Still hate him though haha
    Good post, but just to play devils advoctate, would it possibly solidify him more in the 8 range as opposed to 10 in your rankings if he did come back as a top 5 player for some ungodly reason and lead the lakers to a top 5 ish seed in the west next year with a new found efficiency due to his injury and evolving his game yet again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jerellh528 View Post
    Good post, but just to play devils advoctate, would it possibly solidify him more in the 8 range as opposed to 10 in your rankings if he did come back as a top 5 player for some ungodly reason and lead the lakers to a top 5 ish seed in the west next year with a new found efficiency due to his injury and evolving his game yet again?
    yes. I just can't see it happening personally. The west is so stacked, and many of the teams are young.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Very hard to imagine he can do anything to climb up given his age, injuries and the state of the Lakers. He'll probably pass Jordan to grab the #3 all time points spot, but I think most view that with a huge grain of salt. He might pass a few more guys on other notable all-time counting stats ranks, but again, his best days are behind him. Unless he shocks the world next year and somehow leads the Lakers to another long playoff run/championship, it's hard to imagine there's a lot more room for upward movement. Unfortunately, I think it is safe to assume he won't, however.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    Its too hard to rank individuals with any consistent criteria so I just lump everyone behind MJ in a single tier, you can make a case against or for any of these guys
    Tier 2: KAJ-Wilt-Shaq-Dream-Magic-Bird-Duncan-Kobe

Tier 3: Moses and Bron

vCash
    no,there really isnt anything he can do to affect his all time ranking in a major way.at this point he will never good enough to overtake someone like mj as his prime is past and you cant take away what he already accomplished.so that range(the top 13 but not at the top) ...now where in that 2-13 range will always be debated and a matter of personal opinion.the only thing that can affect his ranking is what younger superstars end up doing in their career(he could only get bumped down if cats like kd or wiggins win like 5+ rings in their careers).but for now,the 2nd tier rating for him is set in stone
    Last edited by abe_froman; 02-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.

vCash
    I think Kobe's legacy is already set and there is nothing more to add. Top 6-10 player of all time and arguably the 2nd best SG of all time after Jordan. I want him to return to form so badly next year. This year, I want him to sit out and save his body for the last two years of his career. I would love if the Lakers could contend in those two years, but I would be happy with one. Kobe has a very tough mountain to climb. He has to beat age and injuries which is damn tough. First thing first, the Lakers have to get better. The only thing Kobe can do now is go out with a bang. He deserves a fitting end to his career.

GO LAKERS

vCash
    Yes. He can move up if he wins another ring as a starter. He can move up if he overtakes Wilt's single game scoring record, especially if that occurs in a Game 7 in the Finals. He can move up if he plays for 3-4 more years and in that period of time increases his shooting efficiency to a blistering 70% or higher from above the 3 point line and 85% from anywhere below it. He can move up if he owns the scoring record when he retires. He can move up if...

In short there is always the possibility that he can move up, because there's always something greater to shoot for.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    Got him locked in at top 5. Only way I can see moving him up is if he sips from the fountain of youth and somehow miraculously delivers another title within the next few years and walks away.

But that pipedream aside I basically look at the rest of his time as the icing on the cake.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast