Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    380
    vCash
    1500

    College star ratings are uesless?

    They give out rankings in terms of stars for college recruits. Five stars is the max. But the ratings suck.

    The past 10 years there has been over 40 of these 5 star ranked running backs. Yet most of them are marginal players in college. And even fewer of them actually have an NFL career.

    Adrian Peterson is the legit NFL starter that received 5 stars. An actual back who could take 20-25 carries a game. Reggie Bush and Jonathon Stewart are the only other 5 star recruits that even had an actual career in the NFL.

    So really these analysts have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,062
    vCash
    1500
    Agreed. Analysts should be able to tell which 17 year old football players will eventually be Adrian Peterson.

    Brandon Marshall.



    He really wants to play a game in January.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stumble Inn UES
    Posts
    5,595
    vCash
    1500
    Football has so many variables from team to team.

    System and how much wear and tear are already on them to name a couple.
    Go Knicks!

    All time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    380
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Agreed. Analysts should be able to tell which 17 year old football players will eventually be Adrian Peterson.
    Dont' really understand why sarcasm is here. Never said they should know what they are talking about. Fact is they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    8,877
    vCash
    2970
    RB is the hardest to project of skill posiitons. im more indifferent since i dont follow scouting at the HS level one bit but if youre gonna bring it up why single out one position to support your argument?

    RETURN OF THE MAC

    Rec: 20 Yards: 353 TD: 3

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,094
    vCash
    1500
    Well, I wouldn’t know a star rating system from a hole in the snow. But, how good is any rating system whose job it is to project future performance? Every year, for the draft, we have dozens if not hundreds of pre-draft prognosticator telling us where some player is expected to be drafted and creating lists to document it. Rarely are they right for more than a few selections. All 32 teams have their own draft boards.

    What I find more confusing is those that look at some projection and when it comes up short wonders why?
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,599
    vCash
    1777
    NFL scouts actually take recruiting rankings into account, some teams anyway. How much I don't know.

    If you're JUST talking about RBs. Whatever I guess.

    A player I just talked about the other night, Will Hill 5 star ATH/DB recruit. Goes to Florida, is a pretty goofy bastard to say the least and goes undrafted. He finally gets to start this year and balls out.

    The star rating was a pretty good talent indicator, he just hadn't kept everything together.

    I'm down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,599
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    RB is the hardest to project of skill posiitons. im more indifferent since i dont follow scouting at the HS level one bit but if youre gonna bring it up why single out one position to support your argument?
    Exactly. Health and vision being two things that are hard to predict.

    I think he fails to realize star ratings AREN'T FOR THE NFL.

    They aren't supposed to predict what guys will become great NFL players. That's why someone could be a very short WR/CB/RB and still get a high rating. Or more importantly, QB. Dual threat QB's will always be huge recruits. De'Anthony Thomas was a 5 star CB recruit....for example. OMG HE DIDN'T BECOME THE #1 NFL CB DRAFT. OMG.

    (or won't I should say). I think Hester was too IIRC.

    Both are tremendous athletes, who were great college players (and Hester a very good return guy) but they didn't become great DBs. Who cares.


    Anyways, star ratings aren't future predictors of the NFL.

    I'm down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    380
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSized View Post
    Exactly. Health and vision being two things that are hard to predict.

    I think he fails to realize star ratings AREN'T FOR THE NFL.

    They aren't supposed to predict what guys will become great NFL players. That's why someone could be a very short WR/CB/RB and still get a high rating. Or more importantly, QB. Dual threat QB's will always be huge recruits. De'Anthony Thomas was a 5 star CB recruit....for example. OMG HE DIDN'T BECOME THE #1 NFL CB DRAFT. OMG.

    (or won't I should say). I think Hester was too IIRC.

    Both are tremendous athletes, who were great college players (and Hester a very good return guy) but they didn't become great DBs. Who cares.


    Anyways, star ratings aren't future predictors of the NFL.
    Well they aren't even great indicators of college success. And they definitely aren't getting right as to what NFL talent is.

    Maybe they should just stop giving out stars because these analysts suck at it anyways.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,599
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by holditdown View Post
    Well they aren't even great indicators of college success. And they definitely aren't getting right as to what NFL talent is.

    Maybe they should just stop giving out stars because these analysts suck at it anyways.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. It's the nature of the college game.

    And guys like Antone Smith or Chris Rainey en up being VERY useful college players who just don't have a real NFL future because of size.


    I'm not sure why you're so bitter over this but I used to be heavy into HS recruiting, I don't pay attention to it really at all anymore, point being...it's just the nature of the game with such young bodies (and minds). Kids grow up and mature mentally and physically, some don't.

    It's just how it is man. I really don't know what your whole fuss is over it "OMG GET RID OF IT BECAUSE IT'S NOT PERFECT."

    No it's not, but saying "they suck" is based on your preconceived notion of what they should be hitting at for a percentage, which just isn't realistic.

    NFL QB's only complete 60% or so of their passes. They really suck at their jobs. Let's get rid of all QBs because they don't complete 90 or more percent.


    You just have a crooked skewed view of what they should be able to predict. If you want and paid attention for a decade you'd see the stories of a lot of these 5 star kids and what happened and why and it would make a lot more sense to you. As it stands, you're just expecting way too much out of a very unpredictable and difficult craft. Okay?


    (FWIW, my father, my uncle, and some of my cousins were all college coaches and recruiters. I even was an assistant and recruiter for 2 years in college athletics. So maybe I'm a bit biased. But you're basically asking someone to see a 17 year old kid and know they will be a great NFLer. It's insanity. Recruiters and recruiting outlets actually do a pretty great job overall giving the sheer quantity of kids out there and the difficulties of really scouting them all. I really want to know what bugs you about this so much.)
    Last edited by Norm; 02-05-2014 at 02:10 PM.

    I'm down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    380
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSized View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. It's the nature of the college game.

    And guys like Antone Smith or Chris Rainey en up being VERY useful college players who just don't have a real NFL future because of size.


    I'm not sure why you're so bitter over this but I used to be heavy into HS recruiting, I don't pay attention to it really at all anymore, point being...it's just the nature of the game with such young bodies (and minds). Kids grow up and mature mentally and physically, some don't.

    It's just how it is man. I really don't know what your whole fuss is over it "OMG GET RID OF IT BECAUSE IT'S NOT PERFECT."

    No it's not, but saying "they suck" is based on your preconceived notion of what they should be hitting at for a percentage, which just isn't realistic.

    NFL QB's only complete 60% or so of their passes. They really suck at their jobs. Let's get rid of all QBs because they don't complete 90 or more percent.


    You just have a crooked skewed view of what they should be able to predict. If you want and paid attention for a decade you'd see the stories of a lot of these 5 star kids and what happened and why and it would make a lot more sense to you. As it stands, you're just expecting way too much out of a very unpredictable and difficult craft. Okay?


    (FWIW, my father, my uncle, and some of my cousins were all college coaches and recruiters. I even was an assistant and recruiter for 2 years in college athletics. So maybe I'm a bit biased. But you're basically asking someone to see a 17 year old kid and know they will be a great NFLer. It's insanity. Recruiters and recruiting outlets actually do a pretty great job overall giving the sheer quantity of kids out there and the difficulties of really scouting them all. I really want to know what bugs you about this so much.)
    I Understand all of this, but the percentages are so egregious that I'm inclined to use the phrase "The analysts suck".

    Of all the 5 star RB recruits in the past 10+ years only 1 become an every down back in the NFL. Just 1. And only 2 others actually played for 5 years.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,599
    vCash
    1777
    This thread didn't need to be moved either. It's about the NFL>

    If the title was "Are College Star Ratings Indicative of future NFL success?"

    it stays. I'm sure the mod was in a hurry and moved it after just seeing the title. Sad. Kind of an original topic I've never thought about a ton before.

    I'm down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,599
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by holditdown View Post
    I Understand all of this, but the percentages are so egregious that I'm inclined to use the phrase "The analysts suck".

    Of all the 5 star RB recruits in the past 10+ years only 1 become an every down back in the NFL. Just 1. And only 2 others actually played for 5 years.
    Saying they suck assumes they're bad at their jobs compared to another group of people who are better. There isn't anyone better. Get it? I don't think there's other people out there that can do it instead and hit at this way higher position: it's just the nature of the game. Like my example on QBs.

    LeSean McCoy was a 5 star recruit on Scout. Is he not an every down back? And I told you the point on RBs. The college game is more slanted to speed and smaller cats. That's why you don't see as many every down pounders as huge recruits.

    Once again, they're not trying to predict what players will become the best NFL players...that's not what the stars are for. If it was, then guys like Chris Rainey and Antone Smith are NOT 5 star players. But for the NCAA game, they are. Get it yet?

    Plus using one position is silly.


    Can you tell me how you got onto this? And why it's only about RBs? There has to be a genesis of this little argument of yours.

    I'm down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    380
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSized View Post
    Saying they suck assumes they're bad at their jobs compared to another group of people who are better. There isn't anyone better. Get it? I don't think there's other people out there that can do it instead and hit at this way higher position: it's just the nature of the game. Like my example on QBs.

    LeSean McCoy was a 5 star recruit on Scout. Is he not an every down back? And I told you the point on RBs. The college game is more slanted to speed and smaller cats. That's why you don't see as many every down pounders as huge recruits.

    Once again, they're not trying to predict what players will become the best NFL players...that's not what the stars are for. If it was, then guys like Chris Rainey and Antone Smith are NOT 5 star players. But for the NCAA game, they are. Get it yet?

    Plus using one position is silly.


    Can you tell me how you got onto this? And why it's only about RBs? There has to be a genesis of this little argument of yours.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...cks-since-2002

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,599
    vCash
    1777
    Ohhhhhhh, it's signing day. That's right!

    Forgot.

    Not sure if you know many of those guys but damn a lot of those dudes got hurt or got in trouble or were bricks with lips. I mean a damn quarter of them transferred.

    I think they do a pretty good job seeing the raw talent, I'll put it that way. It's what happens to it after.


    I'm not a huge fan of 5 star RB recruits in college myself. I'm just saying that Scout and Rivals aren't a bunch of hacks, it's just hard to predict. Too many variables.

    I'm down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •