Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Drew recieves 2 year offer from the Red Sox.

Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington has said multiple times this offseason that the team has maintained an open dialogue with shortstop Stephen Drew and his agent, Scott Boras. The details of a potential reunion get hazy beyond that.

ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden reported Monday that Drew has received a two-year offer from the Red Sox, although it’s unclear when the offer was submitted or what the proposed deal entails in terms of salary. Nevertheless, it’s another wrinkle in the ever-changing Drew saga.

Cherington said last month that the media attention surrounding Drew’s free agency probably doesn’t reflect how much time the Red Sox have spent trying to re-sign the 30-year-old, seemingly indicating that Boston is ready to move on unless a team-friendly deal can be reached. There still doesn’t seem to be much of a market for Drew, though, so it’s entirely possible that he could wind up back in Boston, especially since Cherington and Co. haven’t closed the door on a possible return and haven’t set a deadline to reach an agreement.

Drew is coming off a strong 2013 season in which he hit .253 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs in 124 regular-season games. The veteran shortstop rejected a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Red Sox at the beginning of the offseason to seek a multiyear deal in free agency, but most teams appear to already have their shortstop situation figured out for 2014.

Peter Gammons on Monday predicted that Drew ultimately will land with the New York Mets, although Mets general manager Sandy Alderson recently said that he thinks it’s “unlikely” the club will make such a signing.

The Red Sox are expected to begin the season with Xander Bogaerts at shortstop and Will Middlebrooks at third base if Drew signs elsewhere.
    http://nesn.com/2014/02/report-steph...oston-red-sox/

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    It's Bowden, so who knows the accuracy. I think Heyman said something about the Red Sox being interested in a multi year deal, but that could very likely be coming from Boras.

vCash
    This is an interesting move if true. I think there is a good chance the Sox made an offer low enough that it will be exceeded by a competitor - if not in the AL East, than a team that might not be able to bid against the Sox in the next year or two for someone we really want. Small advantage perhaps, but we still get the pick and make players and agents know that if you play well here (sorry Sox fans he really did) than the Sox will make an offer - good PR among those folks - another small but potentially useful thing.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I really hope he doesnt resign.

vCash
    I'd only be ok with this if Middlebrooks moves to Miami with Stanton coming in return.

Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

#PrayforStanton
    #Wiggins/Parker/Smart

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by celticsman2009 View Post
    I'd only be ok with this if Middlebrooks moves to Miami with Stanton coming in return.
    If there were any legs to that, Drew would have to be signed first, his price goes up a good deal if WMB is dealt.

If Miami really wants WMB and knowing they have to trade Stanton eventually (plus Stanton's injuries and stat decline lately) then they should do the deal, they'll be able to get a couple of MLB regulars plus another group of kids that produce 2-3 more regulars/SP/RP's right now. They can deal some of them in the future and make another killing.

No XB, Swihart or Cecchini or who internally we consider our top 2 SP's of the future - everybody else pretty much open for discussion.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If there were any legs to that, Drew would have to be signed first, his price goes up a good deal if WMB is dealt.

If Miami really wants WMB and knowing they have to trade Stanton eventually (plus Stanton's injuries and stat decline lately) then they should do the deal, they'll be able to get a couple of MLB regulars plus another group of kids that produce 2-3 more regulars/SP/RP's right now. They can deal some of them in the future and make another killing.

No XB, Swihart or Cecchini or who internally we consider our top 2 SP's of the future - everybody else pretty much open for discussion.
    Agreed. Im not huge on Drew coming back because I'd like to see XB at SS, but if it means getting Stanton then yes. Of course, that is a BIG if. Drew would provide a stop gap until Cecchini is ready. If Miami would take Buch and Middlebrooks among a few more specs, i'd be ok with it.

Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

#PrayforStanton
    #Wiggins/Parker/Smart

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by celticsman2009 View Post
    Agreed. Im not huge on Drew coming back because I'd like to see XB at SS, but if it means getting Stanton then yes. Of course, that is a BIG if. Drew would provide a stop gap until Cecchini is ready. If Miami would take Buch and Middlebrooks among a few more specs, i'd be ok with it.
    Why would it mean stanton? I'm sure you don't mean one for one, it would take a lot to get stanton from them, and they have a pretty good 3b prospect too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Why would it mean stanton? I'm sure you don't mean one for one, it would take a lot to get stanton from them, and they have a pretty good 3b prospect too.
    Of course I dont mean 1 for 1. I talk about trading Buch among other along with Middlebrooks. It's wishful thinking about Stanton but since the Marlins have interest, might as well toss around the idea again.

Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

#PrayforStanton
    #Wiggins/Parker/Smart

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    and they have a pretty good 3b prospect too.
    Who do you mean?

Zach Cox is 24 and hasn't done much in AAA in 322 PA's, six months younger than WMB he's got 1.5 year to go at least, and as of now he's outside their top 20.

Avery Romero? He's 20 (and could end up at 2B or 3B), but still in low A, another guy that will take years if ever.

WMB can be their 3B for 2-4 years and they can still deal him with some control left. I don't see that they may have some spec as a barrier to a trade. IF they did, why are the WMB to Miami rumors so strong?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Who do you mean?
    If we had a better rapport I'd post a link to a certain internet meme.

As it is, I'll just say that I believe he was probably referring to Colin Moran.

vCash
    Drew's a decent player and all but I think we should not bring him back and instead look at improving at 3rd Base.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post

As it is, I'll just say that I believe he was probably referring to Colin Moran.
    Who will likely end up at 1B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Ah yes, coming off his first pro season in short season A at: .299/.354/.442 w/ a .927 fielding % at 3B (with 7 games at DH thrown in). I read like six weeks ago he was going to end up at 1B, that fielding % might seal the deal since he's not going to be a DH in the NL. Got a very promising bat, but he's not likely to be an opening day starter until 2017 at the earliest. Sure seems like WMB would be an excellent bridge if Moran is the future at 3B.

Thanks for helping to clear that up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    Drew's a decent player and all but I think we should not bring him back and instead look at improving at 3rd Base.
    The Sox are improving at 3B. He's called Garin Cecchini. The question on WMB is:

* is he a long term answer at 3B for the Sox?
    * If not, when can he be moved to get the maximum return. He does have many years of control and a lot of power after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast