Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,208
    vCash
    1500

    MLB has greater parity than the NFL

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...ter-parity-nfl

    And, lastly ... once this Super Bowl is over, we can congratulate the NFL for finally catching up with baseball, by having had nine different teams win a championship since 2001. Woo-hoo.

    But wait a minute. That won't change the fact that, after this game, either 19 (if Seattle wins) or 20 (if Denver wins) of the 32 NFL franchises (that's 59.4 percent) have won NONE of the past 25 Super Bowls.

    But over in baseball, where The Same Teams Win Every Year, more than half the franchises in the sport (16 of 30) have won at least one World Series in the past 25 years. Imagine that.

    And 24 of the 30 teams have played in one of those World Series. Imagine that.

    And 28 of the 30 teams have made the postseason just since 2001. Imagine that.

    But don't let that dissuade you. It's the NFL that has cornered the market on parity, while in baseball The Same Teams Win Every Year.

    Except for the fact that they don't.

    The MLB needs a salary cap!
    For parity!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    1500
    No it isn't. Parity wise there is no better league than the NFL. Any Sunday any team can win in the NFL.
    Favourite Teams:

    Boston Red Sox: Disappointing regular season, hoping for good things in 2015.
    Indianapolis Colts: 5-2, Week 8 vs. Steelers
    Dallas Mavericks: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 4-1-0, games this week vs. Toronto, New Jersey, Chicago

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,208
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    No it isn't. Parity wise there is no better league than the NFL. Any Sunday any team can win in the NFL.
    Hmmm...you present underwhelming evidence,

    Last season the best NFL team won 13 of their 16 games. That's a .813 winning percentage
    Last season the best MLB team won 97 of their 162 games. That's .599 winning percentage

    Last season the worst NFL team won 2 of their 14 games. That's a .125 winning percentage
    Last season the worst MLB team won 51 of their 162 games. That's a .315 winning percentage.

    How on earth can you claim that the league with a MUCH larger spread between the best and worst record has more parity?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durango, Colorado
    Posts
    3,823
    vCash
    3681
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Hmmm...you present underwhelming evidence,

    Last season the best NFL team won 13 of their 16 games. That's a .813 winning percentage
    Last season the best MLB team won 97 of their 162 games. That's .599 winning percentage

    Last season the worst NFL team won 2 of their 14 games. That's a .125 winning percentage
    Last season the worst MLB team won 51 of their 162 games. That's a .315 winning percentage.

    How on earth can you claim that the league with a MUCH larger spread between the best and worst record has more parity?
    not taking sides on this debate, but this is an embarrassingly terrible point to make, comparing a 16 game sport to a 162 game sport in that way is just asinine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durango, Colorado
    Posts
    3,823
    vCash
    3681
    just to throw out my personal opinion as both my favorite football team and baseball team havent won it all

    I am confident the eagles have a chance to win it all with the way the league is constructed, as i am confident any team can win

    The rockies will never win a world series in the current structure, and its very sad to realize that even as a strong homer

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,208
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post
    not taking sides on this debate, but this is an embarrassingly terrible point to make, comparing a 16 game sport to a 162 game sport in that way is just asinine.
    How so?

    It is a direct counter to his "any given Sunday" point. Any baseball team is much more likely to beat any other baseball team than any NFL team is likely to beat any NFL team.

    MLB teams don't win as often or lose as often as NFL teams.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    35,024
    vCash
    1500
    It's true, NBA is even worse. The "any NFL team can win on Sunday" is a terrible argument too. Any baseball team can win a series during the regular season. Any team that makes it to the postseason can win the World Series. Baseball needs 162 games to separate the good teams from the bad. If it was a 16 game schedule the teams that made the playoffs would be completely random.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    35,024
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post
    just to throw out my personal opinion as both my favorite football team and baseball team havent won it all

    I am confident the eagles have a chance to win it all with the way the league is constructed, as i am confident any team can win

    The rockies will never win a world series in the current structure, and its very sad to realize that even as a strong homer
    The Rockies who were just in the World Series less than a decade ago have no chance at winning the World Series? Interesting.

    In the NFL you have no chance at winning unless you have a good QB, which you need to be lucky enough to find in the draft. In NBA you can't win without 2 of the best players in the league on your team. In MLB you can win with all kinds of different rosters. The Red Sox didn't have an MVP or Cy Young candidate, they had a ton of players that had good years. The best player in baseball the last two years has not played in the postseason. The best player in the NFL and NBA is always in the postseason.
    Last edited by -Lavigne43-; 02-04-2014 at 01:14 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    799
    vCash
    1500
    Im a fan of all 4 major sports and believe MLB has the best parity of them. At least in terms of making the playoffs and making the World Series, more teams have a shot in MLB than any other league.

    The fact that my 200+ million spending Yankees have played in 1 of the last 10 World Series and a bunch of teams spending over 100 million consistently miss the playoffs tells me money isn't everything.

    How many MLB teams don't think they have any shot this year? you can make a case that 28 teams can make the playoffs if things go right. In the NBA 25 or so teams know they have zero shot at winning in the playoffs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,314
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    The Rockies who were just in the World Series less than a decade ago have no chance at winning the World Series? Interesting.

    In the NFL you have no chance at winning unless you have a good QB, which you need to be lucky enough to find in the draft. In NBA you can't win without 2 of the best players in the league on your team. In MLB you can win with all kinds of different rosters. The Red Sox didn't have an MVP or Cy Young candidate, they had a ton of players that had good years. The best player in baseball the last two years has not played in the postseason. The best player in the NFL and NBA is always in the postseason.
    The two best QB's of this generation(Peyton and Brady) have lost to Flaco, Eli and Russel Wilson, three QB's that in their championship years didn't make mistakes and took care of the ball, that's all you really need from that position.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,314
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nr19 View Post
    Im a fan of all 4 major sports and believe MLB has the best parity of them. At least in terms of making the playoffs and making the World Series, more teams have a shot in MLB than any other league.

    The fact that my 200+ million spending Yankees have played in 1 of the last 10 World Series and a bunch of teams spending over 100 million consistently miss the playoffs tells me money isn't everything.

    How many MLB teams don't think they have any shot this year? you can make a case that 28 teams can make the playoffs if things go right. In the NBA 25 or so teams know they have zero shot at winning in the playoffs.
    Over the last 5 years, Every team to make the world series had spent over 100 million and were within the top 10 in spending in the sport.

  12. 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM
    Reason
    Stop with the Trout Vs Cabrera debate

  13. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,710
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Hmmm...you present underwhelming evidence,

    Last season the best NFL team won 13 of their 16 games. That's a .813 winning percentage
    Last season the best MLB team won 97 of their 162 games. That's .599 winning percentage

    Last season the worst NFL team won 2 of their 14 games. That's a .125 winning percentage
    Last season the worst MLB team won 51 of their 162 games. That's a .315 winning percentage.

    How on earth can you claim that the league with a MUCH larger spread between the best and worst record has more parity?
    If I flip a coin 16 times

    or if I flip a coin 160 times....
    Nobody ****s with the Gustav

    5 GA / 4 G / 1 A
    Adopt a Packers \/ Davante Adams and Sammy Shields

    Davante Adams - 17 Rec, 188 Yards, 2 TD


    Sam Shields- 12 Tackles, 2 INTs, 6 PassD


  14. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    45,536
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    The Rockies who were just in the World Series less than a decade ago have no chance at winning the World Series? Interesting.

    In the NFL you have no chance at winning unless you have a good QB, which you need to be lucky enough to find in the draft. In NBA you can't win without 2 of the best players in the league on your team. In MLB you can win with all kinds of different rosters. The Red Sox didn't have an MVP or Cy Young candidate, they had a ton of players that had good years. The best player in baseball the last two years has not played in the postseason. The best player in the NFL and NBA is always in the postseason.
    Ummm...Miguel Cabrara played in the post season the past 2 years
    I see what you did there

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,375
    vCash
    1500
    Seasons consisting of more games will generally have a lower standard deviation of winning percentage, no matter what level of competitive balance occurs in the leagues.

  16. 02-04-2014, 08:38 AM
    Reason
    Stop with the Trout Vs Cabrera debate

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,026
    vCash
    1500
    Baseball has half of the parity equation correct. If a team is smart and manages itself well it can in fact win a championship. This applies to all teams. What baseball is missing is the other half of parity. In the NFL if a team attaches itself to the wrong franchise players (see Jacksonville and Blaine Gabbert) it pays for its mistakes dearly but in baseball there are certain teams that can afford to make a bad choice on a franchise player (see Yankees and Rodriguez and even possibly Angels and Pujols) and be ok and other teams who can not (the Twins with Mauer and Morneau are the best example I can think of off the top of my head right now).
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •