Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Vontae Davis wants to stay in INDY

Free agent CB Vontae Davis has been adamant that he wants to stay with the Colts.
    According to the Indy Star, Davis "has grown quite fond of the Colts' players and coaches after an unmemorable experience with the Dolphins his first three seasons." It's fantastic news for GM Ryan Grigson, whose number one offseason priority is to retain Davis. He graded out as PFF's No. 3 corner this season behind only Darrelle Revis and Brent Grimes, dominating the right side while playing press coverage.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5089/vontae-davis

Great news that Vontae wants to stay. Maybe he'll take a little less to play here.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    Glad to see it! Now lets get a deal done!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    I could not agree more, V. Davis is one of my favorites on this team. Get the deal done.

vCash
    In order to get the value in the trade for Davis don't the Colts almost have to resign him. I mean a 2nd rounder should get you more than 2 years of Vontae! Just my opinion

vCash
    Yea that jacka$$ at stampede blue really just proved how worthless he is. How that guy has a job writing about the Colts is beyond me and anyone here could do a better job than him. We are looking for a #2cb across from Vonte so that he isn't the only guy in the secondary that can cover.
    Last edited by ponderingpluto; 02-04-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: cursing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSabo17 View Post
    In order to get the value in the trade for Davis don't the Colts almost have to resign him. I mean a 2nd rounder should get you more than 2 years of Vontae! Just my opinion
    It's a popular opinion. Grigson will likely overpay just so he gets more than 2 years of VD's services.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    Hes a must.

vCash
    Pair him with Sam Shields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponderingpluto View Post
    Yea that jacka$$ at stampede blue really just proved how worthless he is. How that guy has a job writing about the Colts is beyond me and anyone here could do a better job than him. We are looking for a #2cb across from Vonte so that he isn't the only guy in the secondary that can cover.
    I occasionally fight with him on Twitter....I will give him that he actually responds to people. It is usually something one word that just him saying something like "jesus" but at least you know he reads his critics. Just from the few interactions I've had with him he seems to be a decent guy who would be OK to talk to as long as you keep the topic off sports...

That said he is on that Skip Bayliss train of that that is "if I argue loud and long enough about something people will pay me and attention to me for doing it" I'm not even sure if either believes half of what they say or write, they are just making a scene so people will say look at him and he will stay in the spotlight.

Since I kind of have a hobby of breaking his stuff apart here goes on the article I think you are talking about:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/2/4...idea-for-colts

First off if his estimation about going from 1.8 to 5.5 in cap hit isn't looking at the situation as a whole. I was a supporter of Toler and signing him all season and now am a supporter of cutting him....part of the reason I supported the signing when quite a few thought it was terrible is the flexibility to get back 4.1 million from sending him home. So you add Toler's 4.1 to that 1.8 and we now are talking about 5.9 million from last to this year. Letting VD walk means we either have to take that 5.9 million (most likely plus more) to find 2 starters, 1 starter if they think Butler can play outside, or we can take 1.8 to find VDs replacement and keep Toler which IMO is the worst idea of the 3. In my opinion to duplicate VD's quality we are going to have to pay more than what we would give VD to someone we don't know...I'd take VD +1 million over Toler and his injury questions any day of the week...VD, (re-signing) Gordy, and Butler + a FA or draft pick doesn't sound like the end of the world.....Now put Toler and any 1.8 million CB in there instead of VD and the FA and we have an issue IMO.

Now if you go further down he is comparing Butler and Vaughn to VD...yea their stats show that Vaughn and Butler actually had a better year, but there is a reason Gordy was playing on outside WRs at the end of the season....because Butler and Vaughn are good Nickels, but not good outside CBs. That is like saying that because a guy went undefeated as the QB for the JV team he can do the same for the Varsity. I'm a big Butler fan, and IMO he is a top 5 nickel CB...but his skills just don't seem to translate against outside WRs. Guys like Welker work because they move around and create a problem, you move them to the outside once or twice a game and it creates confusion...you move them there permanently and it creates a mediocre #1 target with a lack of size and a big paycheck....IMO many similar properties apply to a lot of nickel CBs.

Lets look at his mention of Brent Grimes and his one year deal with Miami last year and how great that was and really when he mentions the bargains to be had....Grimes is a great player, someone I wanted us to target last year and would be thrilled to bring him in this year..but what is Miami doing this off season? They are looking to either bring him back or replace him. You take a bunch of risks everyone doesn't like to talk about with one year deals when you have a long term option. Don't get me wrong, when you need a fill in because you ran out of time/money or want to give someone a shot then you sometimes have to.. You run the risk of signing a flop (DHB) so in your effort to replace someone you failed...so you are back at it again...if you sign someone that successfully fills that slot to a one year deal, well you end up in the situation Miami is in with Grimes...and really we are in with VD. So in dropping him to save a few bucks we could end up with Toler without the escape clause, we could end up with the CB version of DHB, we could end up with Grimes and then facing this situation once again next year with a player that is 5 years older than VD. Basically a lot of people who don't think Grigson is a great talent evaluator after this year (most of them were praising his skill last year at this time) want him to drop someone we know is good but has flaws to go evaluate talent? I'm confused.

So I'm curious what good team knowingly replaces their legit #1 guy at CB with a "decent" corner like Wells calls DRC for Denver? The reason a "decent" corner became their best corner by the end of the year had more to do with Champ being drafted the same year as Edge than it did DRC coming on. We are talking about the 27th ranked pass defense that had the quick fix DRC as their #1 decent CB. They tied 5 teams with losing records for 21st in the league giving up 8 more passing TDs than we did allowing 29. That is what "decent" bargain priced players to replace legit top guys gets you.

vCash
    You guys are gonna get high blood pressure reading Brad Wells....just say no
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?