Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500

    Thomas Vanek rejects Islanders offer; GM Snow looking at trade: Report

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5124--nhl.html

    When the New York Islanders acquired Thomas Vanek in October, the second thought in everyone's minds -- after "Huh?" -- was what assets general manager Garth Snow could acquire if he flipped the forward at the March trade deadline. We're quickly approaching that time.
    Vanek and his agent said last week that he still hasn't made up his mind about whether or not he'd re-sign with the Islanders before the trade deadline. He even added that even if they did trade him, the Vanek would listen to an offer from Snow this summer when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

    Well, time to get in line, Islanders.

    Via Arthur Staple of Newsday:


    NHL sources told Newsday that Vanek, acquired from the Sabres on Oct. 27, turned down a substantial contract offer from the Isles and that general manager Garth Snow is fielding offers for the 30-year-old wing.
    The offer is believed to be in the same range as Vanek's current seven-year, $50 million deal. That contract expires on June 30.


    Vanek has never been a UFA before. He's never had the pleasure of gobs of NHL teams making presentations and trying to woo him to play for their team. If the offer the Islanders made was indeed similar to what he's making now, of course he's going to test the market. Some team out there will be sure to pony up more than $7 million a season for his services, despite his success since arriving on Long Island.

    Since lining up with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo, Vanek has been part of one of the NHL's best lines. The trio have combined for 70 points together. In 41 games with the Islanders he's scored 15 goals and recorded 38 points.

    The Islanders spend just above the salary cap floor every season, so this is a special exception to offer up that kind of dough. But Vanek is a player worth digging deeper into the wallet for. And now that Snow has an answer, he can finally make the trade he should have in October and bring in pieces to fix the blueline and potentially find a solution in net going forward.


    Haha... What I tell you. We have one of the worst run franchises in the 21st century of hockey, hands down. Garth Snow is a joke of a gm, for flopping this trade and for failing to resign Vanek.

    Here's a list of flops he has made at the helm besides trading for Vanek.

    -Trades first round pick for Ryan Smyth, fails to resign him.
    -Drafts Josh Bailey, 9th Overall, with players like Karlsson, Eberle, on the board.
    -Locks Josh Bailey up to a 5 year 16.5M dollar deal. Bailey's season stats thus far for the Islanders - 52 GP, 5 G, 14 A, 19 PTS, -9.
    -Trades up in 2009 for the oft injured Calvin De Haan.
    -Drafts Nino Niederreiter in 2010, fails to develop him properly, gives him 4th line minutes and then ends up trading him for Cal Clutterbuck. Another minus player for the Islanders this year. Nino could of been on the 1st line with JT this year, and you could of called up Anders Lee to play on the 3rd line with Brock Nelson.
    -2012 NHL Draft - Garth Snow tries to trade all picks in the draft to move up 2 spots. Columbus declines.

    This team is a joke, this atmosphere is a joke, and most importantly our ownership is a joke. This is no accountability.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    23,564
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Haha... What I tell you. We have one of the worst run franchises in the 21st century of hockey, hands down. Garth Snow is a joke of a gm, for flopping this trade and for failing to resign Vanek.

    Here's a list of flops he has made at the helm besides trading for Vanek.

    -Trades first round pick for Ryan Smyth, fails to resign him.
    -Drafts Josh Bailey, 9th Overall, with players like Karlsson, Eberle, on the board.
    -Locks Josh Bailey up to a 5 year 16.5M dollar deal. Bailey's season stats thus far for the Islanders - 52 GP, 5 G, 14 A, 19 PTS, -9.
    -Trades up in 2009 for the oft injured Calvin De Haan.
    -Drafts Nino Niederreiter in 2010, fails to develop him properly, gives him 4th line minutes and then ends up trading him for Cal Clutterbuck. Another minus player for the Islanders this year. Nino could of been on the 1st line with JT this year, and you could of called up Anders Lee to play on the 3rd line with Brock Nelson.
    -2012 NHL Draft - Garth Snow tries to trade all picks in the draft to move up 2 spots. Columbus declines.

    This team is a joke, this atmosphere is a joke, and most importantly our ownership is a joke. This is no accountability.
    1) How was the Ryan Smyth trade a flop? Without that trade we miss the playoffs. Damn, it's such a shame we don't have Ryan O'Marra, Robert Nilsson, or Alex Plante!

    2) Everything looks bad in hindsight cause there were better options. Guess who we could/would have ended up with if we didn't trade down? Probably Nikita ****ing Filatov. Draft is a crapshoot in the 5th to 20th picks usually. So calm down. Drafting Bailey wasn't a mistake.

    3) Is 3.3 million dollars a year for 5 years for a 3rd liner with top 6 potential a bad cap hit anymore? Seriously buddy. No.

    4) Defenseman take a LONG time to develop. How the **** do you blame Snow for his 1st round pick getting injured? Is that a ****ing joke? Stop. De Haan is with us now and for the most part has been very impressive.

    5) How was drafting Nino a mistake? Garth didn't ****ing tell the coaches to put nino on the 4th line. Garth didn't tell Nino to demand a ****ing trade. Garth had his hands tied and Cal Clutterbuck and a solid goalie prospect are a great salvage value. Nino has 9 goals in 57 games this year playing with Granlund and Pominville 75% of the time and the rest between Koivu, Parise, Coyle, and Heatley. Not to mention he plays 15 minutes a game and 1:40 of that on the PP, meanwhile not killing penalties. Meanwhile Clutterbuck is playing less than 14 minutes a game, is near the top of the league in hits, and gets 1:19 on the PK and PP a game. He's a great PKer. Not to mention he has 7 goals in 51 games. 2 less than Nino in 6 less games. Nino on the 1st line and Lee on the 3rd, Isles would be far worse than they are now.

    6) Unconfirmed report. Good idea to judge a GM on what he was rumored to have tried to do rather than what he has done.


    And the Vanek trade is bad? There's a still a chance we sign him. We're gonna trade him at the deadline for as much or more than we got him for. Wait until then to judge the damn trade. Moulson was gonna get traded at the deadline anyway right? if the Isles were this bad? definitely. So what difference does not having Moulson make. Vanek was tremendously better. Oh yeah and Moulson is injured. That would have been nice. Our 1st round pick will be next years. And honestly 2nd round picks rarely turn into anything special so I am glad Snow took the risk. I want a GM who takes risks. Smart risks. Vanek was a smart risk.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

    New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,023
    vCash
    1500
    [QUOTE=kmo429;27922357]
    5) How was drafting Nino a mistake? Garth didn't ****ing tell the coaches to put nino on the 4th line. Garth didn't tell Nino to demand a ****ing trade. Garth had his hands tied and Cal Clutterbuck and a solid goalie prospect are a great salvage value. Nino has 9 goals in 57 games this year playing with Granlund and Pominville 75% of the time and the rest between Koivu, Parise, Coyle, and Heatley. Not to mention he plays 15 minutes a game and 1:40 of that on the PP, meanwhile not killing penalties. Meanwhile Clutterbuck is playing less than 14 minutes a game, is near the top of the league in hits, and gets 1:19 on the PK and PP a game. He's a great PKer. Not to mention he has 7 goals in 51 games. 2 less than Nino in 6 less games. Nino on the 1st line and Lee on the 3rd, Isles would be far worse than they are now.

    Nino: 9 Goals 17 assists (+10) 21 years old
    Clutterbuck: 7 Goals 4 assists (-8) 26 years old

    Great deal for the Wild IMO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    1) How was the Ryan Smyth trade a flop? Without that trade we miss the playoffs. Damn, it's such a shame we don't have Ryan O'Marra, Robert Nilsson, or Alex Plante!

    2) Everything looks bad in hindsight cause there were better options. Guess who we could/would have ended up with if we didn't trade down? Probably Nikita ****ing Filatov. Draft is a crapshoot in the 5th to 20th picks usually. So calm down. Drafting Bailey wasn't a mistake.

    3) Is 3.3 million dollars a year for 5 years for a 3rd liner with top 6 potential a bad cap hit anymore? Seriously buddy. No.

    4) Defenseman take a LONG time to develop. How the **** do you blame Snow for his 1st round pick getting injured? Is that a ****ing joke? Stop. De Haan is with us now and for the most part has been very impressive.

    5) How was drafting Nino a mistake? Garth didn't ****ing tell the coaches to put nino on the 4th line. Garth didn't tell Nino to demand a ****ing trade. Garth had his hands tied and Cal Clutterbuck and a solid goalie prospect are a great salvage value. Nino has 9 goals in 57 games this year playing with Granlund and Pominville 75% of the time and the rest between Koivu, Parise, Coyle, and Heatley. Not to mention he plays 15 minutes a game and 1:40 of that on the PP, meanwhile not killing penalties. Meanwhile Clutterbuck is playing less than 14 minutes a game, is near the top of the league in hits, and gets 1:19 on the PK and PP a game. He's a great PKer. Not to mention he has 7 goals in 51 games. 2 less than Nino in 6 less games. Nino on the 1st line and Lee on the 3rd, Isles would be far worse than they are now.

    6) Unconfirmed report. Good idea to judge a GM on what he was rumored to have tried to do rather than what he has done.


    And the Vanek trade is bad? There's a still a chance we sign him. We're gonna trade him at the deadline for as much or more than we got him for. Wait until then to judge the damn trade. Moulson was gonna get traded at the deadline anyway right? if the Isles were this bad? definitely. So what difference does not having Moulson make. Vanek was tremendously better. Oh yeah and Moulson is injured. That would have been nice. Our 1st round pick will be next years. And honestly 2nd round picks rarely turn into anything special so I am glad Snow took the risk. I want a GM who takes risks. Smart risks. Vanek was a smart risk.
    1) Yeah, a nice KO in the 1st round.

    2) Drafting Bailey wasn't a mistake? How about locking him up to a 5 year ****ing deal when he has been invisible this season? I would of took Schenn, Hodgson, Boedker, Myers, Eberle, over this piece of **** who is playing 2nd line minutes.

    3) Top 6 potential? Career high of 35 points. Top 6 players should be getting 40. The guy has been asleep this year while Nielsen is having a career year.

    4) De Haan was projected to go later in the draft. Instead, dumb *** Garth Snow trades up and drafts him, throwing away picks.

    5) I didn't say drafting Nino was a ****ing mistake. Trading him was a ****ing mistake. I like Clutterbuck, but he isn't a ****ing top 6 player. Nino could of been, and now with Vanek likely gone who will fill his hole? Nelson? We could of had ****ing Nino on the 1st line. Nelson is good, but he isn't a 1st line player.

    6) http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...the-nhl-draft/

    Not "unconfirmed"

    How was this a smart trade? At least you know Moulson would of resigned with the Islanders. Vanek on the other hand isn't. the Islanders burned a bridge with Moulson, he isn't coming back. This wasn't a win for the Islanders at all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ny
    Posts
    2,153
    vCash
    1500
    The Smyth trade was horrendous....

    Snow has 2 go..

    Smyth and now Vanek..

    If Vanek doesn't sign back with us AWFUL deal..

    No way can u say Smyth was a good trade..

    Have no issues with Bailey or dehaan

    Love ko obviously!!!

    N niņo .. The worst part is him trading him for clutterbuck!! Awful trade!!!

    This is the last offseason I give snow.. Sign a dmen sign a stud scorer n a goalie!!
    We got this!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jgthegame1982 View Post
    The Smyth trade was horrendous....

    Snow has 2 go..

    Smyth and now Vanek..

    If Vanek doesn't sign back with us AWFUL deal..

    No way can u say Smyth was a good trade..

    Have no issues with Bailey or dehaan

    Love ko obviously!!!

    N niņo .. The worst part is him trading him for clutterbuck!! Awful trade!!!

    This is the last offseason I give snow.. Sign a dmen sign a stud scorer n a goalie!!
    Snow must go! Wang must hang!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ny
    Posts
    2,153
    vCash
    1500
    Heard we r looking for 3 huge assets in return..
    We got this!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jgthegame1982 View Post
    Heard we r looking for 3 huge assets in return..
    You are correct.

    If I am GM, I want 1 NHL ready prospect, a young prospect that has some upside, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

    Really like Nicklas Jensen on the Nucks.

    If I'm on the phone with the Kings, I'd take -

    Tyler Toffoli, Martin Jones, and a 1st or 2nd.

    Detroit -

    Petr Mrazek, Tartar or Jurco, and a 2nd round pick.

    With Moulson injured, we can get a very solid return for Vanek.
    Last edited by KingsnQueens7; 02-06-2014 at 03:07 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ny
    Posts
    2,153
    vCash
    1500
    N now Andy wants out.. Screw him.. What can we get for him??
    We got this!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jgthegame1982 View Post
    N now Andy wants out.. Screw him.. What can we get for him??
    2nd round pick, maybe even a 1st. Teams will overpay for defense men. He isn't that good anyway.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500
    Andrew MacDonald was offered a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal and declined. He can take a hike. Maybe package him with Vanek for an even better return?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ny
    Posts
    2,153
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Andrew MacDonald was offered a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal and declined. He can take a hike. Maybe package him with Vanek for an even better return?
    Love the "take a hike"
    We got this!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jgthegame1982 View Post
    Love the "take a hike"
    I've seen so many turnovers by him this year, he's a 2nd/3rd pairing defense men. 4M a year was respectable and he declined it so **** him. Get rid of the players that don't want to be a part of this teams future ex. Vanek, Macdonald


    Latest rumor on Vanek is we're talking with the Ducks. Would be awesome if we can get John Gibson, Emerson Etem, and maybe a 2nd round pick.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    129
    vCash
    1500
    Think you are being a bit harsh with Snow at this point, King... He has been re-building this roster for some time and has made mostly solid moves... along with a few mistakes (agree with you 100% that Josh Bailey is just terrible and a bust - but agree with kno429 with most of the other points he makes). Not sure if this trade for Vanek was a bad move - we will have to see what we get in return.

    From everything I've read - it's not Snow's fault Vanek wont resign - Vanek wants to test the market and we could still get him back in FA after everything falls in place. There is a lot still in motion to freak out right now.

    For instance - I've seen reports that the Kings are talking right now (no names mentioned). You just know that Martin Jones would be in that conversation. For arguments sake - say the Isles get Jones, Toffoli and a few picks... and then Vanek decides he liked playing with Tavaras & KO after all (and all reports say he likes being in NY - just wants to experience being a FA for once - can't really blame him for that)... Trading for Vanek would be seen as a genius move (as his time here probably put the Islanders at the top of his FA "short list" list)...

    As far as MacDonald - I'm hearing the Isles could get a 1st round pick for him. I'll take that....

    Think about it - it is possible that the Isles could still pick in the top 10 this year (remember that the Isles can push off the 1st round pick for Vanek to the 2015 draft if the pick is top 10 this year) and maybe get two other 1st round picks, a future goalie in Gibson or Jones and probably another (defensive?) player/prospect or two for what basically amounted to trading Moulson & MacDonald... and nothing says that the low spending Islanders couldn't sweeten the pot some more for Vanek and/or some other firepower in FA this summer. That would be a great job of GM by Snow.

    I understand the disappointment - and let's face it - this year has been a big disappointment all around. But let's see how this shakes out. The Islanders aren't that far off and all the young D-Men in the system will begin bearing fruit soon as well. I know that being an Islanders fan has given us all hockey's version of PTSD and we all expect the worst, but maybe, Snow may just played this perfectly? We will see.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    12,549
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Jim View Post
    Think you are being a bit harsh with Snow at this point, King... He has been re-building this roster for some time and has made mostly solid moves... along with a few mistakes (agree with you 100% that Josh Bailey is just terrible and a bust - but agree with kno429 with most of the other points he makes). Not sure if this trade for Vanek was a bad move - we will have to see what we get in return.

    From everything I've read - it's not Snow's fault Vanek wont resign - Vanek wants to test the market and we could still get him back in FA after everything falls in place. There is a lot still in motion to freak out right now.

    For instance - I've seen reports that the Kings are talking right now (no names mentioned). You just know that Martin Jones would be in that conversation. For arguments sake - say the Isles get Jones, Toffoli and a few picks... and then Vanek decides he liked playing with Tavaras & KO after all (and all reports say he likes being in NY - just wants to experience being a FA for once - can't really blame him for that)... Trading for Vanek would be seen as a genius move (as his time here probably put the Islanders at the top of his FA "short list" list)...

    As far as MacDonald - I'm hearing the Isles could get a 1st round pick for him. I'll take that....

    Think about it - it is possible that the Isles could still pick in the top 10 this year (remember that the Isles can push off the 1st round pick for Vanek to the 2015 draft if the pick is top 10 this year) and maybe get two other 1st round picks, a future goalie in Gibson or Jones and probably another (defensive?) player/prospect or two for what basically amounted to trading Moulson & MacDonald... and nothing says that the low spending Islanders couldn't sweeten the pot some more for Vanek and/or some other firepower in FA this summer. That would be a great job of GM by Snow.

    I understand the disappointment - and let's face it - this year has been a big disappointment all around. But let's see how this shakes out. The Islanders aren't that far off and all the young D-Men in the system will begin bearing fruit soon as well. I know that being an Islanders fan has given us all hockey's version of PTSD and we all expect the worst, but maybe, Snow may just played this perfectly? We will see.
    Still think Vanny winds up in Minnesota. Once a player goes, it's very unlikely he will be back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •