Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

IGT: Philadelphia Flyers at San Jose Sharks

Time: 10:30pm
    Place: SAP Center

Game Notes:

- Sharks are 20-3-3 at home this season; however, they have lost 3 of their last 4 at home.
    - Sharks have 6 players with double digit goal totals, lead by Pavelski (29) and Marleau (22).
    - Sharks injury list inlcudes Logan Couture, Tomas Hertl, Adam Burish, and Raffi Torres.
    - Flyers are coming off of a 2-0 win over LA on Saturday afternoon.
    - Flyers are clicking at a 24.1% clip on the PP over their last 15 games, bringing their season ranking to 12th.
    - Kimmo Timonen will be a game-time decision tonight with his bruised left foot; if he can't go, look for Andrej Meszaros to take his place again.

vCash
    Sharks may have 6 double digit goal scorers, but the Flyers are only team in NHL with 7 players with 12+ goals.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm a Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers, and a University of Kentucky fan. You may be a Dallas Cowboys fan, a St. Louis Cardinals fan, a Pittsburgh Penguins fan or a Louisville Cardinals alumn. From June 12 - July 13, we are both American. Go, go, USA!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Sharks may have 6 double digit goal scorers, but the Flyers are only team in NHL with 7 players with 12+ goals.
    I believe there are only 6 teams in the league with 6 double digit scorers.

Flyers are the only team on that oist that started at the bottom of the league and climbed their way up.

Truly is impressive given how this team started. That said, Im not surprised in the least. Team has great scoring depth.

vCash
    Yeah team really does have great depth. It's why I really think this elusive "sniper" some around here think we have to have to be "competitive" is luxury more than need. We can score with the best of them.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm a Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers, and a University of Kentucky fan. You may be a Dallas Cowboys fan, a St. Louis Cardinals fan, a Pittsburgh Penguins fan or a Louisville Cardinals alumn. From June 12 - July 13, we are both American. Go, go, USA!

vCash
    Yeah team really does have great depth. It's why I really think this elusive "sniper" some around here think we have to have to be "competitive" is luxury more than need. We can score with the best of them.
    agree completely. defense much more of an issue.

Flyers with 7 players at 10+ goals, and will be 8 when Couts scores tonight :wink:

seriously, though, scoring is not the issue here. would it be nice to have a sniper? sure, but that should only be addressed in FA at this point. don't use assets to acquire one when the defense is as poor as it is.

vCash
    Carchidi tweeted that Timonen will be OUT tonight.

Second straight game for Timonen. At this point, I'm kinda hoping they just let him rest up until the Olympic break.

I'm sure Finland is hoping for the same.

vCash
    I'd rather he rested up during the Olympic break. Would be nice for him to have rested legs going into the stretch run of the season, but I completely understand him playing for his country.

vCash
    It's so weird for me to think like this because I love the guy...but I'm almost glad Timonen is out. I think it's simply because it guarantees Gus will be playing, as well as shows us what a little more speed on the backend can do for this team. Timonen is shifty, but he has lost several steps. He used to be able to make up for his lack of size with his quickness, but now that that's gone it's tough for him to recover. Our defense played pretty well against the Kings. Granted, they are the second weakest offensive team in the league. However, even when we did get pinned in our own zone the Kings weren't able to generate a ton of great scoring chances like most teams have been able to up to this point. We'll get a real test tonight against the Sharks who have emerged as an absolute offensive powerhouse. Great scoring depth on this team. Looking forward to how our D plays tonight. Should be very telling.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    I've never denied that we have great depth. However, we're a middle of the road offensive team in terms of actual goal production, which is what matters. Yes, we have 7 guys with 12+ goals. That's terrific. For the record, Boston has 8 with 12+.

All that being said, when you look at the "elite" teams in the league, almost all of them have 1-3 guys who can light it up. Chicago has 3 guys with 22+ goals and 2 more with 18; Anaheim has 2 guys at 25+; etc.

That doesn't mean that acquiring a legitimate first-line scorer is a higher priority than fixing our defense. I have never once said that. It does (most likely) mean that for us to be a truly elite, Cup-contending team, we're going to need one guy that can actually put the puck in the net consistently.

Again: defense is the number 1 priority. We absolutely need speed, skating and puck-moving ability on the blueline for this team to be anything close to dangerous in the playoffs.

After that glaring need is addressed, then I do think we need to take a hard look at our wingers and try to find someone (either via trade, FA or the draft) who can bring some goal-scoring ability to our top line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    I've never denied that we have great depth. However, we're a middle of the road offensive team in terms of actual goal production, which is what matters. Yes, we have 7 guys with 12+ goals. That's terrific. For the record, Boston has 8 with 12+.

All that being said, when you look at the "elite" teams in the league, almost all of them have 1-3 guys who can light it up. Chicago has 3 guys with 22+ goals and 2 more with 18; Anaheim has 2 guys at 25+; etc.

That doesn't mean that acquiring a legitimate first-line scorer is a higher priority than fixing our defense. I have never once said that. It does (most likely) mean that for us to be a truly elite, Cup-contending team, we're going to need one guy that can actually put the puck in the net consistently.

Again: defense is the number 1 priority. We absolutely need speed, skating and puck-moving ability on the blueline for this team to be anything close to dangerous in the playoffs.

After that glaring need is addressed, then I do think we need to take a hard look at our wingers and try to find someone (either via trade, FA or the draft) who can bring some goal-scoring ability to our top line.
    Using the year's totals for goal scoring is silly considering we set a franchise and nearly an all-time NHL record for scoring futility in the first 9 games. Since then, they've been among the lead league in goal scoring.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

vCash
    Using the year's totals for goal scoring is silly considering we set a franchise and nearly an all-time NHL record for scoring futility in the first 9 games. Since then, they've been among the lead league in goal scoring.
    Really? I don't see how cherry picking stats does anything to prove your claim. I'm sure most teams could say "Well, if you omitted these 12 games, we'd be among the league leaders in goal scoring."

Just a few posts ago, you were raving about his this team's scoring depth was a huge asset and would help us avoid prolonged slumps, since we could "score with the best of them". A whole two posts later, the excuse for poor performance is "a franchise and nearly an NHL record for scoring futility".

You can't have it both ways.

vCash
    Really? I don't see how cherry picking stats does anything to prove your claim. I'm sure most teams could say "Well, if you omitted these 12 games, we'd be among the league leaders in goal scoring."

Just a few posts ago, you were raving about his this team's scoring depth was a huge asset and would help us avoid prolonged slumps, since we could "score with the best of them". A whole two posts later, the excuse for poor performance is "a franchise and nearly an NHL record for scoring futility".

Ace, come on. Theres a bit of a difference here. Going through a slump mid season is not the same as starting the season on a slump. You to cold midway through or around there, its a slump. You start the season the way the Flyers did and people think the team cant score. Just go back and look at how many people thought this team simply couldnt put the puck in the net.

Second, it wasnt just 12 games. This team didnt really start scoring until G got his first goal 20+ games into the season. The Flyers were about 15 games or so into the year and they still had 15 players without a goal.

Can you honestly say that something like that had happened to a team? The entire team was in a slump at the same time.

No one is really arguing against you here. Youre saying defense comes first and we agree.

I as well as Cubs just believe that to say this team is in need of a sniper isnt true. Would it be nice to have? Absolutely. Necessity? No, I disagree.

vCash

Who said anything about slumps? If you can find in my post where I said a damn thing about "slumps" or stopping them, I'll blow a monkey right here, right now. I said nothing about "slumps" so I'm not trying to have it both ways, I'd appreciate not putting words in my mouth. I only said we could score with the best of them, because, again, if you omit the franchise worst 9 games of scoring to start any season in a 40+ year history......they can.

And I'm not cherry picking anything. Literally, this team had a franchise worst stretch to begin this season for the first 9 games. I mean, it was damn near NHL worst for futility. It's not like I picked a 4 game stretch out of nowhere, I'm only omitting the first few games that clearly were not indicative of this teams talent level.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

vCash
    Fun fact: After the Kings game, Steve Mason jumped ahead of John Quick in SV%.

Pretty amazing to think that Mason would be leading Quick in goalie categories.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

vCash
    Streit!!!
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast