Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Manning's Legacy

In the weeks leading up to a Super Bowl, Peyton Manning was worshiped more than any professional athlete in recent memory. Many said that a win in this game would cement his legacy as the greatest QB to ever play the game.

He had to do something he has not done much of this year: face a legitimate defense.

43-8
    Manning turned the ball over 3 times. He posted a QBR of 24.4. The greatest offense of all time, loaded with receiving weapons, was in danger of being shut out until the third quarter ended. He played poorly in what became the third biggest blowout in Super Bowl history.

1-2 in the Super Bowl.
    The last time Peyton lost a Super Bowl, he played well, until he threw a bad, game sealing pick six in the fourth quarter as he was trying to tie the game.

The Super Bowl that Manning won was over Rex Grossman, and despite receiving an undeserved SB MVP, he was less than spectacular. 25/39 for 247, 1 Touchdown, 1 interception, and 1 lost fumble for a QBR of 60.7. The Colts ran the ball 42 times in this game, for 191 yards, and the Colts defense came up with 5 turnovers. Perhaps the result of this game could be explained by that a little bit more than Peyton's below average performance.

Getting to the Super Bowl is a tremendous accomplishment to begin with, and his 3 AFC Championships are very impressive. But when talking about the legacy of Peyton Manning, its hard to call him the greatest all things considered. Statistically, he may have the best numbers, but the margin by which he does over players such as Montana and Brady is not nearly enough to compensate for his 8 first round playoff losses, his 11-12 playoff record, and his poor performances in the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by KeithRichards; 02-03-2014 at 01:27 AM.

vCash
    Best regular season QB of all time?

3. 02-03-2014, 01:31 AM
    Reason
    Troll

vCash
    I think Peyton fell into the perfect place in Denver. He had a good OL and a very supporting cast at WRs and TEs.

However, that OL was dominated today by Seattle and Peyton rushed throws because of that and got picked. Not to mention his good WRs and TEs had a very hard time getting open too.

Does this loss hurt his legacy? Like they said on NFL Network, ABSOLUTELY. But is this loss all on him? No. But he's gonna get all the blame just like LeBron did in the NBA when the Heat lost to Mavs in the Finals in 2011.

Peyton will bashed and trashed on every major sports outlet aaaaall off-season. No doubt about it. Considering they were praising him and on his jock for the past 6 months, maybes its only fair.

vCash
    And this is the point. Peyton Manning might have all the performance you like in the regular season, a real Champ, like Montana or Brady steps up when it counts, and performs.

Sadly, if anything, I think Peyton even tarnished his rep today ...

6. 02-03-2014, 01:39 AM
    Reason
    Troll

vCash
    I'm not making excuses for Peyton. He's a playoff choker, his stats in elimination games speak for themselves:

>1998
    Throws 28 INTs during regular season as team misses playoffs.

>1999:
    Throws 0 TDs in 42 attempts in one & done elimination loss to Titans.

>2000:
    Throws 1 TD in one & done elimination loss to Dolphins, giving them only playoff victory of decade.

>2001:
    Throws 23 INTs during regular season as team misses playoffs.

>2002:
    Throws 0 TDs and 2 INTs in 41-0 one & done elimination loss to the 9-7 Jets.

>2003:
    Throws 4 INTs in AFC Championship game in elimination loss to Patriots. "MVP" year

>2004:
    Throws 0 TDs and 1 INT in AFC Championship game in elimination loss to Patriots. "MVP" year

>2005:
    Throws 1 TD at home in a one & done elimination loss to the Steelers, after a 14-2 season

>2006:
    Throws 3 TDs / 7 INTs with 70.5 QB rating to beat Rex Grossman in his superbowl while being carried by his top ranked defense and Adam Vinatieri to his only SB.

>2007:
    Throws 6 INTs in reglular season loss to Norv Turner then proceeds to be eliminated in one & done playoff game by same team.

>2008:
    Throws 1 TD against Norv Turner's 31st ranked pass defense in a first round elimination loss to 8-8 Chargers. "MVP" year

>2009:
    Throws Super Bowl losing INT to Saints 26th ranked pass defense. "MVP" year

>2010:
    Throws 1 TD at home in one & done elimination loss to Jets

>2012:
    Throws the interception that results in a Ravens field goal to win in 2OT, turned the ball over 3 times and led a single scoring drive in the second half and ot

>2013:
    throws 3 interceptions, including a pick six, and fumbling the first snap of the game that resulted in a safety.

But I don't think this loss today was all him. I would say that it was 40% on him and 60% shared between the rest of the players on the roster and his coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chargerSD View Post
    And this is the point. Peyton Manning might have all the performance you like in the regular season, a real Champ, like Montana or Brady steps up when it counts, and performs.

Sadly, if anything, I think Peyton even tarnished his rep today ...
    Montana yes... Brady no. Sorry just no. Brady has been almost identical to PManning in the playoffs statistically. Did Manning choke in this game sure... Was he bad? Sure... But the notion that brady is some super clutch QB who is great in the playoffs is silly and false. After his first few superbowls where he was just Ok to be brutally honest he has not done squat since.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    I posted this on another message board shortly ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Honestly, I think Peyton Manning lacks guts.

What I mean by that is, he'll read defenses in English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Latin and Swahili, blindfolded, and he'll figure out all the different ways to attack a defense, but if something happens that he's not expecting, whether it's a teammate screwing up, an opposing defense throwing something at him that hasn't already seen, or even him just misreading the defense, he has virtually zero ability to improvise, because he's as short on instinct as he is long on preparation.

He's so "by the book" in his approach that he leaves no room for externalities in his game plans, which is dangerous because some things in football you just can't prepare for. Like tonight, he took everything the defense gave him -- nothing.

When everything is orderly, there's nobody better, but chaos consumes him. I believe this is why he hasn't played as well in the playoffs as we've expected.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Montana yes... Brady no. Sorry just no. Brady has been almost identical to PManning in the playoffs statistically. Did Manning choke in this game sure... Was he bad? Sure... But the notion that brady is some super clutch QB who is great in the playoffs is silly and false. After his first few superbowls where he was just Ok to be brutally honest he has not done squat since.
    Life, "Hey MTM, how's the world been treating you?"
    MTM, "Like a baby treats a diaper."

You are wrong about Brady bro ... remember when ppl doubted Montana and even Young for that matter ... but I'm tired tonight, house full all day, drinkin even ate too much ... we will do this later ... at leasy until some Pats fan shows up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    I posted this on another message board shortly ago:
    That's actually a very good way to put it.

vCash
    Thats pretty inaccurate. He was far better than ok, especially against the strong defense of Carolina. 32/48, 354 yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception. 31 points put up. He also had a game winning drive in that one. And before you try, dont give Vinatieri all the credit there....he was 1/3 in field goals in that game.

In the Eagles SB, he was 23/33 for 236, 2 TDs and no Ints for a rate of 110.2.

His first SB win was the only one where he was "just ok", when he had a game winning drive with under 2 minutes as a first year starter. Vinatieri made the kick, but, despite common belief, Brady got him in range first.

You may argue he hasnt done much in the playoffs since starting 10-0 with three SBs, but guess what? 10-0 with 2 Super Bowls still counts.

As for "not doing squat since" his last SB win:
    3 TDs, no ints in WC round win 2005 for a rate of 116.4
    2 TDs, no ints in WC round 06 for a 101.6 rating, as he put up 37.
    26/28 (highest completion percentage in a game ever), 3 TDs, no ints for a 141.4 rate in the 07 divisional rd.
    363 yards, 6 Touchdowns in 2011 divisional.
    344 yards, 3 TDs, no turnovers for a rate of 115 in this years divisional.

He has 8 playoff wins since his last SB win, which is tied for second in the time span of all quarterbacks (his 18 total is first all time), and his two League Championships are tied for second. Saying he hasnt done squat is simply wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Pride View Post
    Best regular season QB of all time?
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacsc2 View Post
    This.
    Uhhhh I don't think he was being quite that complimentary ... but perhaps you know that....

vCash
    I hate Brady but this is one of the dumbest things you've ever said. Which is sad considering everything you've ever said from Romo support to many other things I won't out you on.

16. 02-03-2014, 02:43 AM
    Reason
    insults (lflol)

vCash
    Brady>Manning. I'm not just saying that because I'm a raider fan as well. I said that before he was a bronco too. The spygate knock saying they haven't done nothing since is bull. He had his team up in the first Super Bowl against the giants and lost because of the greatest play ever. In the second Super Bowl he had his team up and would have killed the clock if welker just caught it, and his defense let manning drive the entire field to win the game. Since spygate his winning percentage has still been >70%. I think if you had Brady on the broncos he would have broken all the 07 pat records to(not trying to lessen what manning did this year) but how Brady got the pats to a bye and the AFC championship this year is very impressive IMO. Thompkins/Edelman/Dobson the majority of the year.

Yall let me slip?!?!

vCash
    The Seahawks defense absolutely dominated in every aspect. They were getting a tremendous amount of pressure with just rushing 4 guys. The Broncos offense line was terrible.

I think the credit should go to the Seahawks defense and not to Manning choking. We haven't seen Manning under that kind of pressure all year. But, that doesn't explain some of the mind boggling throws and decisions from Manning. He did not play well at all obviously.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast