Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Players to keep, and players to let walk?

With the season officially over, and this brutal loss, I thought it might be a good time to look forward to next season, and figure out what direction we should go from here. Here are some of the big question marks on the team.

Champ: He is still under contract, but making 10 mill a year.

DRC: a free agent coming off a very good season, and may require big money.

Woody: a free agent, and team captain.

Decker: a free agent who may be paid like a number one receiver.

Moreno: a free agent who might get a big pay day.

Manning: under contract, but an off-season exam may decide whether we keep him.

Which of these guys do you think we should keep, and which would you let walk.

Btw: I'm a little drunk right now, so if there is anyone I missed, or another direction you want to take this, go ahead.

vCash
    I'll get more in depth eventually cause don't feel like doing it now..but I'll just say one thing.

If anyone thinks we'll still be a SB contender without Manning. You are just blind by anger or whatever mood you're in at the moment.

Get this defense back healthy and stacked. Defense wins championships after all...if anything was proved in this game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    I'll get more in depth eventually cause don't feel like doing it now..but I'll just say one thing.

If anyone thinks we'll still be a SB contender without Manning. You are just blind by anger or whatever mood you're in at the moment.

Get this defense back healthy and stacked. Defense wins championships after all...if anything was proved in this game.
    agreed.

initial thoughts. Let Decker Walk. He would be great to have back, but he is going to be fricking expensive. Someone is going to throw stupid money at him (For some reason I see Jets?). To replace Decker we can bring in a guy like Maclin or Britt in a one year 'Prove it deal" ala DRC and have a chance to get paid after.

We absolutely need to bring back DRC. Having a corner of his ability in this league is imperative. Champ is not that guy anymore and Harris is a question mark after his injury. DRC stabilizes the secondary. Not his fault the safeties were hot garbage.

Would love to bring back moreno sentimentally, but thinking purely football, I let him walk. He is going to get pretty good offers. He has had injury issues and played biggest on contract year. Might be smartest, economically, to let him go. Draft another running back early (or sign one on a one-two year veteran deal like MJD? CJ2K if he gets cut?) and use that money you save to secure DT88 now.

vCash
    and i really hope the thought process of "Our defense played better without Von Miller so we shouldn't spend money on him" doesn't arise. When we get a healthy and in season Von Miller back he is going to show why we need to bring him back. He is going to be a big investment that we cannot let go and not let a short sighted Eric Decker deal compromising our ability to bring back Von in a few seasons.

vCash
    Walk: Tony Carter, Eric Decker, mike huff, Paris Lenon.

Keep: Manning, Harris jr, knowshon, Sean Phillips, champ woody.

I think knowshon could actually stay with the broncos on a nice team friendly 3 year deal.

Champ needs to be re-structured and moved to a FS type roll for the rest of his career ala Charles Woodson.

Manning had a fantastic year, from now on tho I have no confidence in him outside the regular season, wish I could think of a better reason to re structure his contract than this loss but I can't.

Phillips can be effective as just a pass rusher next year hopefully behind Q. Smith. And woody can be a nice OLB/rotating MLB with high drafted MLB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacsc2 View Post
    Walk: Tony Carter, Eric Decker, mike huff, Paris Lenon.

Keep: Manning, Harris jr, knowshon, Sean Phillips, champ woody.

I think knowshon could actually stay with the broncos on a nice team friendly 3 year deal.

Champ needs to be re-structured and moved to a FS type roll for the rest of his career ala Charles Woodson.

Manning had a fantastic year, from now on tho I have no confidence in him outside the regular season, wish I could think of a better reason to re structure his contract than this loss but I can't.

Phillips can be effective as just a pass rusher next year hopefully behind Q. Smith. And woody can be a nice OLB/rotating MLB with high drafted MLB.
    I just don't see us being able to spend that much with the DT88 deal looming. That is going to be a crap ton and we cannot let him leave.

vCash
    Can let Moreno walk. I appreciate all the work he's done all year long..been truly an asset...but RB is the least of our concerns.

Phillips..I'm thinking about. The man is not a consistent pass rush threat (ala Doom) but his run defense has been HUGE for us this year. What value we got him for.

Would love to keep Woody..for depth purposes...wonder how much he'll demand though..wasn't long where he was one of the most important defenders on this defense.

vCash
    Can let Moreno walk. I appreciate all the work he's done all year long..been truly an asset...but RB is the least of our concerns.

Phillips..I'm thinking about. The man is not a consistent pass rush threat (ala Doom) but his run defense has been HUGE for us this year. What value we got him for.

Would love to keep Woody..for depth purposes...wonder how much he'll demand though..wasn't long where he was one of the most important defenders on this defense.
    Denver brings in a new big hitter MLB type, trevathan takes woody's role playing as a bigger playmaker and much cheaper.

vCash
    Does anyone know Denver's salary this upcoming year?

W/O signing anyone our salary is at 111 million. Supposedly the cap will be 127 million. Leaves us with 17 million to play with.

Now champ will make 10 million if we can cut that down or even add a year and let him make 5 million a year they would give us 22 million. Then hopefully cut some of mannings huge earnings of 20 million down a few million. And cut either or both of Tamme and Dreesen (both 3 million each) we could be dabbling with around 29 million? Not huge on knowing how contract restructures work as in if the champ and manning contract thoughts are even realistic at all. Help me out guys, trying to move on from that shift fest ASAP
    Last edited by tmacsc2; 02-03-2014 at 04:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28:27914268

Denver brings in a new big hitter MLB type, trevathan takes woody's role playing as a bigger playmaker and much cheaper.
    This is very important imo. We need a true mlb. These make shift linebackers are killing us. Woody was underwhelming this year, and should be our number one draft priority.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Tre/Woody on the outside with Von on the other and def bring in someone in the middle

vCash
    Release Champ, sorry guys to much at 10 million. He's already said he won't move to safety.
    Sign DRC, agree he's to good to let go
    Release Moreno
    Release Decker
    Sign Woody
    Honestly after lasts nights loss I wouldn't mind seeing what we have in Osweiler. Wouldn't that give us a ton of money to play with? The offense played very poorly, and quite frankly I have no confidence in that group playing against physical defenses. Did we learn anything from yesterday? Why do we need to repeat that? Restructure the offense and keep building around Von. That was a head scratcher yesterday. I wonder what Elway's thinking right now. We need tough physical players. We looked nervous and rattled yesterday.

update: Champ said he would play safety, so I say keep him after restructuring his contract
    Last edited by Denverbronco007; 02-03-2014 at 01:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Denverbronco007:27915254
    Release Champ, sorry guys to much at 10 million. He's already said he won't move to safety.
    Sign DRC, agree he's to good to let go
    Release Moreno
    Release Decker
    Sign Woody
    Honestly after lasts nights loss I wouldn't mind seeing what we have in Osweiler. Wouldn't that give us a ton of money to play with? The offense played very poorly, and quite frankly I have no confidence in that group playing against physical defenses. Did we learn anything from yesterday? Why do we need to repeat that? Restructure the offense and keep building around Von. That was a head scratcher yesterday. I wonder what Elway's thinking right now. We need tough physical players. We looked nervous and rattled yesterday.
    I honestly wouldn't resign woody. Trevathon is doing a good job on the outside, and woody wasn't very good at mlb.

I also think we should let Decker walk. We can find another receiver who plays a little more physically, and doesn't disappear quite as much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I honestly wouldn't resign woody. Trevathon is doing a good job on the outside, and woody wasn't very good at mlb.

I also think we should let Decker walk. We can find another receiver who plays a little more physically, and doesn't disappear quite as much.
    agreed on woody and on decker, i would love to have him back, but its a money issue

vCash
    Here are the upcoming free agents I could find.

Eric Decker, wide receiver - Id like to keep him, but only for the right price. If not I like Andre Caldwell to step up.

Knowshon Moreno, running back - Im torn here, I love his improvement this year but I cant say Im sold on him yet. Then again, the offensive line this year couldn't run block for Barry Sanders.

Zane Beadles, offensive guard - Buh Bye. He was serviceable at best. But we really need to upgrade the O line.

Shaun Phillips, defensive end - I like him, but as with Decker only at the right price.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, cornerback - A few mistakes this year but overall our best CB. Pay the man.

Wesley Woodyard, linebacker - Not if he's playing MLB. Then again, even on the outside I think we can do better.

Mike Adams, safety - I like Adams. I felt he played solid all year. Not a top guy, but great for depth.

Robert Ayers, defensive end - I feel comfortable using the bust card here. Buh Bye

Paris Lenon, linebacker - I saw him miss WAY too many tackles this year. A MLB SHOULD NOT miss tackles. Bye.

Andre Caldwell, wide receiver - Keep him. He came up big whenever his number was called. I dont think I even remember one drop.

Chris Kuper, offensive guard - Bye. This O-line was bad this year. Many of Manning's passes came out in 1.9 seconds. The reason? He knew he would get clobbered otherwise.

Quentin Jammer, cornerback - lol next

Jeremy Mincey, defensive end - Bye

Michael Huff, safety - Bye

Steve Vallos, center-guard - Didn't see enough. (if anything) But couldn't be much worse than the starters.

Winston Justice, offensive tackle. - See above.

So those are my thoughts on the current roster of soon to be free agents. However, anyone remember the rumor we were going to trade for Jared Allen before the trade deadline? In Hindsight, That may have been a good move for us.

On the future, we NEED a REAL MLB. (I miss Al Wilson) A smart, fast, Nasty MLB. We really need O-line improvements. Maybe with Clady back, and two new OG's we could be ok.

Other thoughts:

Im all for moving Champ to Safety
    We need another good CB
    Id like to see us with a bigger RB a la Jerome Bettis, Christian Okoye, ect..
    I like our receivers, but I feel DT and Decker are to soft. Decker whines a lot, and DT dosent seem to fight enough. (Nice kid, no mean streak)

Ok, enough of my rambling....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast