Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Rick Carlisle

vCash

Rick Carlisle

I remember watching the Pistons religiously while he was the head coach. I was very pissed off after the ownership fired him. Why was he fired? Do you think the Pistons would have been more successfully if he stayed? Detroit won a championship a year later... Carlisle would go on to win one with Dallas. He has also kept his team competitive throughout a rebuilding process.

Larry Brown was good and all... But it was obvious that Chauncey, Ben and Sheed were running the team when they won. They confronted Brown during the Finals series and told him to back off.

Why did the Pistons fire Carlisle? I personally think he could have been our Popovich.

vCash
    Another head scratcher...I'm sure the Pistons has a record for firing most coaches with a winning record. Carlisle, Brown, Saunders. All good HCs, I was more pissed about Saunders, seems like he got the boot just because the "Championship Boys" were on their last legs. They should have gotten the boot(Rasheed & Hamilton along with Big Ben leaving via FA)

vCash
    I don't know how much more successful he could have had with this team than Brown or Saunders did. Brown got us 2 finals appearances and 1 win. Saunders had us playing for the ECF every year he was here. Unless Carlisle had us winning championships every year from 04-09 I'm not sure what else he could have done better.

Maybe having a stable coaching staff gets us a few more wins from '10-to now teams but given how bad some of the rosters were in the 2009-2010 I don't think even Greg Popovich could have turned that into a winner.

vCash
    if we had a scorer in place of prince i think the team would have been unstoppable

prince was one of those overrated underrated players, he killed the shot clock, he wasnt an elite defender, he was just long, could shoot sometimes and had a pretty good IQ, he took soo much time off the shot clock on offense though and his fakes and and jab steps never fulled one person, and his shot was not very consistent
    POP! POP!

vCash
    I remember rumors that it was Mr. Davidson's call to can Carlisle because he was a prick to Palace employees or something like that. Joe basically just followed orders, or so the rumor goes.

Here's a post from the comment section on PistonPowered:

Carlisle knows why he was fired and it had nothing to do with coaching. Somewhere at The Palace there’s a wall with a dent from something thrown in a pique of anger after a perceived error by a secretary. The old man was a billionaire and treated his employees with respect. Sadly, his coach at the time didn’t.
    I think Davidson just didn't like him

vCash
    Never understood why Saunders was fired.. he was only 176-70 (72 win %, 59 wins per year) and made the ECF every year as a coach. Somehow that wasn't good enough???

vCash
    Even though I hate Stuckey and I will still celebrate the day he's gone...but I think he really would have flourished if Saunders stuck around once he became a starter.

vCash
    I loved the Larry Brown hiring. He was a great coach and worth the short stint to win a title.
    2013 PSD Lions Forum Fantasy Football Champion

vCash
    Odd to see a 50-win coach fired. Especially when his replacement was for short-term. Larry Brown NEVER stays anywhere long and they knew that. Sure would be nice to have Carlisle sitting on the bench now.

"Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

vCash
    Yeah I was so pissed when Saunders got fired that was the stupidest thing I've seen.

vCash
    Carlisle's one of the better coaches of all time. He also had a decent run with the Pistons. It was to bad to see him fired.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 9-11, games this week vs. New York Yankees (3), Toronto (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

vCash
    I think the ownership and Joe D were just looking for a big name when they hired Larry Brown. I think that the Pistons would have still won (at least) one championship with Carlisle. Big names have got us no where recently (I'm talking to you Ben Gordon, Josh Smith).

vCash
    Carlisle was fired because at the time, he was a young coach.

If he threw things or something - don't know.

Brown was fired because he flirted with the Cavs during the playoff run in 05.

As for Saunders - He did get us to the ECF, but couldn't get us over the hump. Yuo would have thought at least once he got us to the final series.

Of course, Carlisle with Dallas - Dirk - top 10 player 2005 on , Kidd, Marion, didn't hurt his chances either.

vCash
    Brown flirted with the Cavs... ?

Knicks, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisLovechild View Post
    First Tier:
    Calvin Johnson
    AJ Green
    Julio Jones
    Brandon Marshall
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Dez Bryant
    Demaryius Thomas
    Michael Crabtree

vCash
    I'm pretty sure it was the Cavs - as this was pre-LeBron departure.

From his wikipedia page.

"In May 2005, when rumors surfaced that Brown would become the Cleveland Cavaliers' team president as soon as the Detroit Pistons finished their postseason. The rumor, which was not dispelled by Brown, became a major distraction as the Pistons lost to the San Antonio Spurs in seven games in the 2005 NBA Finals."