Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pacers on verge of signing Andrew Bynum

Andrew Bynum is meeting with the Pacers on Friday night but has not yet signed a contract, according to his agent.
    Meeting with a team and signing with one are entirely two different things. Bynum didn't seem interested in playing basketball while with the Cavs and was the slowest player in the NBA with an average speed of 3.7 miles per hour. He has no fantasy value right now.
    rotoworld

At first I was iffy but now I am 100% on board with it. If there are ANY attitude issues, the dude has Vogel, David West, Larry Bird, and the rest of the starters to straighten him out. Or he is gone. Either way, we're number 1/2 in the East without him...so if it works, that would be huge. If not, it isn't the end of the world.

I hope this goes through.

#iubb

vCash
    Sorry, Jacque. You're one of my favorites, but I gotta disagree with you this time.

I just don't see that Bynum's attitude is worth the risk. Vogel, Larry Joe, West and everyone else have better things to do than experiment with a once agile, fleet of foot center, now with serious injury concerns. If he had an offseason to watch 55's dedication and absorb some of the lunch pail attitude the rest of the team brings, I could see giving him until the all-star break to work his way into the rotation. Right now, though, I say let someone else worry about him.

Whatever happened with the Kyle Lowry talk? That was the one that perked my ears up.

vCash
    I would much rather just sign bynum cheap rather than trading anything of value to get lowry. Not that i hate lowry, im just from the school of thought of if it aint broke dont fix it. We have the best record in the nba. Adding to our core would be better than subtracting in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullhill View Post
    Sorry, Jacque. You're one of my favorites, but I gotta disagree with you this time.

I just don't see that Bynum's attitude is worth the risk. Vogel, Larry Joe, West and everyone else have better things to do than experiment with a once agile, fleet of foot center, now with serious injury concerns. If he had an offseason to watch 55's dedication and absorb some of the lunch pail attitude the rest of the team brings, I could see giving him until the all-star break to work his way into the rotation. Right now, though, I say let someone else worry about him.

Whatever happened with the Kyle Lowry talk? That was the one that perked my ears up.
    I think some pacers fans (based on reaction off of twitter/facebook) are worried that we are expecting all-star contributions from Bynum. He is not competing with Roy Hibbert for the starting job...he is competing with Ian Mahimni for the backup job. And even then, seeing him play 8-10 minutes a game is stupid expectations of us.

This may be a defensive move preventing the Heat from signing him, but we are taking a low-risk, high reward move on signing Bynum in the hope that he can give us quality playing time when Hibbert is on the bench. Vogel, Bird, and David West aren't stupid. There is no way in hell they would let Bynum take over this locker room or have any sort of 'ego' on an already well-established team. This is exactly why the Heat were rumored to sign him too...you think LeBron would have let the dude run his team?

We all were concerned with Lance Stephenson when he was drafted. Talent was there, character was not. I'm not comparing the two individuals, but I have 100% confidence in this organization to cut his sorry *** if he rubs Vogel, Bird, or any of the players the wrong way. Bird has obviously done his research on Bynum, and again I view it as a low-risk, high reward move.

I never heard anything to do with Kyle Lowry...and i'm in agreement with chipper10 on it. Our point guard position isn't broke, so why bother fixing it?

#iubb

vCash
    The more I think about it, I don't really see Larry Bird/Walsh being a GM to play "keep away" with players.

#iubb

vCash
    agree 100 percent. yahoo reports it will be done today.

I just dont think bird would sign him unless bynum convinced him it was worth it. The 2 million bux is irrelevant to bynum, the winning is the appealing deal here. Absolutely no risk involved. Pacers seem like the perfect chance for him to revive his career. 26 year old nba 7 footers with a lot of skill dont come around often, and having 2 on the roster would be very exciting.

vCash
    I've been all for this move since hearing rumors that we were interested earlier in the year. I completely trust Larry on this one, he wouldn't bring a guy in if he thought he would truly be harmful to our chemistry or anything.

vCash
    Honestly, I couldn't see any other team or GM being able to handle this guy, with the exception of Riley. Gotta trust Larry on this one. I just really hope Bynum doesn't mess up the Pacers season. I love watching this team.

vCash
    Personally, I think his best years are behind him, with the multiple knee surgeries and the attitude problems and such. But if he was brought in strictly to bolster the 2nd unit and share the load with Hibbert then its a low risk high reward situation.

vCash
    When Roy goes to the bench who do we got that can provide low post offense? Both our low post scorers are in the starting lineup. M is good but hes got no offense whatsoever. We signed him because hes a very good low post scorer and thats what we need in the 2nd unit. Also Hills a terrible pg IMO. Would love to get Lowry if the price isnt to high.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltoro View Post
    Personally, I think his best years are behind him, with the multiple knee surgeries and the attitude problems and such. But if he was brought in strictly to bolster the 2nd unit and share the load with Hibbert then its a low risk high reward situation.
    I doubt he ever returns to his LA days, but I think he's still capable of being productive, he showed some signs of it in Cleveland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PacersForLife View Post
    I doubt he ever returns to his LA days, but I think he's still capable of being productive, he showed some signs of it in Cleveland.
    Agree, physically he's not where he was anymore but his skills are still there, and he can still defend the paint pretty well.

Very good signing if the pacers keep him in check.

vCash
    At first i was excited to hear about this. But to be honest i dont think this signing will have any effect whatsoever. Our backup center play is overshadowed by the touches on offense and the bad defense by Scola. The same will happen to Bynum if he plays instead of Mahinmi. Scola is a 50% shooter but he is paralyzed on defense. He is a bad post defender, and cant stay in front of his man. Oposing teams attack him a soon as he comes in. We should try Mahinmi out as a backup PF with Bynum whenever he is ready.

Lineups i want to see

1)Hibbert-West-Granger-George-Stephenson (crunch time)

2)Bynum-Mahinmi-Copeland-Hill-Watson (beginning of 4th quarter)

3)Hibbert-Copeland-Granger-George-Hill (3-point)

vCash
    Bynum's talent is well documented as are his injuries and attitude.

We still have one of the best training staffs in the league and we have one of the best locker rooms in the league from what I've seen and hear. What is the downside? If he causes a distraction we send him home with a pretty nice check....if he doesn't he can be anywhere from a 7'+ warm body inside to a force off the bench on both sides of the ball. What else could we get for 1 million right now other than broken toys in need of fixing?

I don't really care the reason we signed him, he was a gamble worth taking. Keeping him away from Miami is just a bonus.