Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Sabean not confident in SP depth, but won't bring in any other SP

SAN FRANCISCO -- A lack of rotation depth crippled the Giants last season. That depth will be a question mark again this spring.

And it won’t be remedied by any last-minute shopping, either.

Giants GM Brian Sabean said the team would not revisit some of the unsigned free agents, including those like Bronson Arroyo who are not tied to draft-pick compensation. Yet Sabean acknowledged that he cannot say with any confidence that the team’s rotation depth is any better than it was a year ago.

“We don’t have the luxury to add a would-be experienced sixth starter,” Sabean said. “We’re at our limit, and we’re fine with that. … I’m pleased with where we landed. Once you have five starters, unless you’re flush with cash or there’s an opening, very few teams sign six starters with experience.”

Chad Gaudin filled in well enough for a time after Ryan Vogelsong went down. But when Gaudin got hurt, the Giants had to turn to Mike Kickham and Eric Surkamp, who weren’t ready. The Giants finished 13th out of 15 NL clubs in rotation ERA.

Young left-hander Edwin Escobar and right-hander Yusmeiro Petit look to be the fallbacks this time, with lefty David Huff, a waiver pickup from the Yankees, as another spot starting option. But Escobar hasn’t thrown a pitch above Double-A and Petit, for all he showed last September, has a limited track record of success over a much-traveled career.

When asked what makes Sabean any more confident in his depth this time around, the GM offered a frank response.

“I can’t tell you I have that confidence yet,” Sabean said. “We’ll find out in spring training, with the competition for the 12th spot on the staff and seeing how far the young starting pitchers have come. And to me, that’s exciting.”
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/sab...h-no-plans-add

This is some strange logic. Pitching depth is an issue (again), so let's do nothing to fix it!
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Makes sense...

vCash
    I don't see how minor league deals can hurt a team, even with a budget. Minor league deals are a luxury now?

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    Spot for the 12th man. How riveting!! Place your bets!

vCash

Sabean not confident in SP depth, but won't bring in any other SP

Exciting...

vCash
    I wish I could coast by on two surprise successes at work and make millions of dollars a year publicly pointing out my shortcomings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/sab...h-no-plans-add

This is some strange logic. Pitching depth is an issue (again), so let's do nothing to fix it!
    They used the savings from timmy and vogelsgons deals to sign a left fielder...wait a second.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    I wish I could coast by on two surprise successes at work and make millions of dollars a year publicly pointing out my shortcomings.
    Lol I hadn't thought of it this way, most GM's would hide behind their dumb luck and never talk about their shortcomings, Sabeans want's to let you know he is an idiot and can't be fired.

vCash
    Then why did he say they had all that money to spend? I'm sick of this horseshit!

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    Honestly if I was a Giants fan, I would be beyond livid at Sabean/Ownership, what a piece of **** logic.
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Sabean is brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    In the words of Fitz: If you criticize Sabean, he'll just flash his WS rings at you.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    Honestly if I was a Giants fan, I would be beyond livid at Sabean/Ownership, what a piece of **** logic.
    Remember McCourt, those weren't much better times.

vCash
    While I love blaming Sabean, the problem is, it's not his money. These guys are afraid to spend money after the Zito deal. So they're only going to give money to guys the "know". I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants went a long period of time without offering any player more than a 3 year deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    In the words of Fitz: If you criticize Sabean, he'll just flash his WS rings at you.
    Fitz is a moron.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast