Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Unhappy Williams' Dedication To Football Questioned By Former Regime

Many Tampa Bay Buccaneers players engage in social media websites, such as Twitter or Instagram, and offer their fans a glimpse into their private lives. Whether it is cornerback Johnthan Banks going hunting back home in the countryside of Mississippi on New Year’s Day, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy thanking his lovely wife with pics of his new video game console or the swag he got for Christmas or videos from the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, or tight end Tim Wright posting pics of his touchdowns as he soaks in his rookie season, the Internet provides fans with an interesting look at how the players spend their free time and what’s important to them outside of football.

The Buccaneers front office has accounts set up to follow each player on social media and keep tabs of the team’s financial investments. This is not uncommon at all, as likely every team has an individual within their organization assigned to monitor the players’ activities on social media.

One particular Buccaneer’s postings on Instagram really concerned the team during this past football season, and nearly cost him his roster spot. Fresh off signing a six-year, $40.25-million contract extension in the summer of 2013, wide receiver Mike Williams was placed on injured reserve in Week 9 with a torn hamstring. Since his injury, Williams has documented his partying and his new career as a rapper – complete with original recorded songs – for all the public to see on his Instagram account.

Players can party all they want to – as long as it doesn’t get them in trouble with the law or interfere with their job. But the team grew so concerned with Williams’ behavior over the last two months of the season that it was deemed immature and unprofessional as he accumulated several fines totaling more than $200,000 for either being late to mandatory team meetings or missing those meetings and scheduled rehab days for his torn hamstring during the 2013 season.

Whether it’s at The Kennedy or Drynk, two well-known Tampa hot spots, or at his big, new house, Williams and his group of friends and rappers, known as the Cave Man Gang – or CMG, as their t-shirts, hats and hoodies proclaim – love the nightlife. Unfortunately for Williams, the team viewed his constant partying on Instagram as detrimental to his profession due to those missed meetings and rehab sessions.

Williams, the aspiring rapper, can be seen singing some lyrics (that would be deemed unsuitable for minors) with his Cave Man Gang crew in the studio and on the countertops of his kitchen on New Year’s Eve. Notably absent to the team during the regular season were pictures of Williams working hard on his comeback or doing any rehab on his hamstring. From a post that simply reads DEDICATED TO FOOTBALL in September to his an early January entry, Williams had exactly three football-related posts out of 135 on his Instagram account. Later in the month of January, Williams has put up a few videos of him dunking a basketball and doing some push-ups, as well as a few Bucs football pics.

Williams also has several pics of his son, showing his dedication as a father, and some funny videos of the charismatic receiver clowning around. Of course, America is a free country and it’s Williams’ prerogative to post what he wants on social media, but his posting of constant partying pics and videos during football season didn’t sit well with the previous regime, especially with him missing rehab sessions or being late to them.

Williams was limited to just 22 catches for 216 yards and two touchdowns in six games in 2013 before going on injured reserve, but had a $7.2 million base salary and a $1 million roster bonus, which made his cap value for this past season $8.2 million. Bucs general manager Mark Dominik drafted Williams in the fourth round in 2010 and has been loyal to the dynamic wide receiver, but was cautious about the level of 26-year old’s maturity when doing the contract extension last summer.

That’s why Dominik dropped the base salary to just $1.2 million in 2014 so he could release him if Williams’ 2013 performance didn’t warrant the pay increase and the extension, or Williams lost his focus, which several members of the organization were concerned about. With a big base salary and a bonus in 2013, Williams was essentially rewarded for his past deeds – two seasons in 2010 and 2012 in which he was just a few yards shy of 1,000 yards in each campaign with a combined 19 touchdowns in those years. But the contract extension could basically be viewed as a one-year deal as his salary drops significantly in 2014 – by design – giving Williams the incentive to keep working hard to earn the higher balance of his big contract, which takes place from 2015-17.

Williams’ base salary climbs to $5.2 million in 2015, followed by base salaries of $5.6 million in 2016 and $5.9 million in 2017. His base drops to $4.15 million in 2018, but he is also slated to receive a $4 million roster bonus that year. Williams currently receives a $1 million roster bonus and a $600,000 workout bonus every year from 2014-17. After taking up $8,334,562 in cap room in 2013, Williams only occupies $1.8 million in 2014, which makes him vulnerable to be released prior to 2015 because his cap number climbs to $6.8 million next year.

PewterReport.com has learned that if Dominik and head coach Greg Schiano had returned in 2014, the Bucs were considering signing former Rutgers wide receiver Kenny Britt, a first-round pick in Tennessee in 2009 and free agent in 2014, who might have replaced Williams if he didn’t get serious about football during the OTAs (organized team activities) and have a great training camp. The 6-foot-3, 223-pound Britt has caught 19 touchdowns in the NFL and averaged 15.6 yards per catch, and could have turned his pro career around under the guidance of Schiano, who recruited him at Rutgers.

Yes, the Bucs were that concerned about Williams’ partying and flamboyant ways that they were prepared to release him this offseason unless he showed he was more dedicated to football than the Cave Man Gang.

This cautionary tale is not meant to embarrass Williams or cast him in a negative light. The PewterReport.com staff actually has a great rapport with the friendly, outspoken Syracuse product, so this should only serve as a warning to Williams and other Buccaneers players that it’s not just a bevy of fans and hot women that follow their every move on social media – it’s also the men at One Buccaneer Place responsible for paying them millions of dollars, and the men coaching them up so that they earn their paychecks.

It’s disappointing, but it seems as if Williams’ off-field behavior is mimicking that of former Bucs wide receiver Michael Clayton, who began living life in the fast lane in Tampa after a breakout rookie season in which the 2004 first-round pick had 80 catches for 1,193 yards and seven touchdowns. Clayton began doing photo shoots with his Bentley and swank new house, dated American Idol winner Fantasia, and was a regular fixture on the Tampa party scene. Former players and members of the Bucs front office told PewterReport.com that clearly played a role in Clayton’s lack of success past the 2004 campaign and derailed his NFL career.

New regimes are famous for doing some initial housecleaning of the roster, evidenced by the quick departures of some players deemed to be bad apples by the previous regime in free safety Tanard Jackson, tight end Kellen Winslow, defensive tackle Brian Price and wide receiver Dez Briscoe during Schiano’s first year in Tampa Bay. The Bucs’ new head coach, Lovie Smith, and Jason Licht, the team’s new general manager, don’t have any ties to Williams or any personal investment in him, and that can be viewed as good or bad.

It's good for Williams because with Dominik and Schiano gone, the talented wide receiver will get a clean slate with a new general manager and head coach. But it can be bad because sooner rather than later, the new members of the Bucs’ brass will undoubtedly learn about his rap career, the regular late-night partying at The Kennedy and the Cave Man Gang and feel the same way as the previous regime did if Williams doesn’t change his ways and show he's serious about football.

What type of first impression will Williams make with the new regime? The one on Instagram, or one where he doesn’t miss a meeting, doesn't miss a rehab session or doesn't miss a day’s worth of work during the voluntary conditioning days and OTAs? That answer will likely dictate exactly how long Williams plays in pewter and red.

– Attempts by PewterReport.com to reach Williams and his agent for comment were unsuccessful.
    Very good read. I highlighted the main points.

Really good read. I was wondering this myself. I noticed a lot of weird crap Mike Williams posts on his Instagram. Posting videos of himself drunk and high at a party is worrisome. He needs to ditch the rap stuff of ditch football, because they both aren't going to work.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    I don't give you **** a lot, because I generally don't have to.

This shouldn't be a thread. Should we make every opinion article out there a thread? No, should of been put in the offseason or draft thread as it already was.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintyme View Post
    http://www.pewterreport.com/index.ph...562:&Itemid=15

Starting to believe Sammie will be the clear choice for us at #7. If he's still available...
    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    I don't agree with a lot of the assumptions and opinions in that article. Mike is well worth that contract and is going to be crucial to this team when VJax is done.

I would love Sammy and I think it would put us over the edge, getting rid of Williams for no reason just hurts us again.

Also glad the previous regime is gone, they were upset at Williams off the field and were gonna bring in Kenny Britt like that was gonna be any better LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by Justintyme View Post
    The article was written in a very judgemental fashion, not what I would expect from pewter report. I still love Mike as a starter for us, and would have freaked out if he was released. I think Lovie will get him re-focussed if he needs it, Lovie will command that respect from him, I think. And the whole Britt thing is just pathetic, it really shows just how clueless Schiano was. Not to mention extremely bias towards any player from Rutgers.

Williams or not, I'm still very interested in Sammie here as well. You give Glennon VJ, MW, Sammie and Dougie back, this offense will move the ball. Even with the current O-line. It seems to me that the safest route for this team to get back to the playoffs without mortgaging our future, is through Glennon, and drafting the best players available, not reaching for anyone.
    As I said in my above quote. Its a garbage article with opinion mixed with facts so that opinion looks like fact. Theres a ton of speculation. I also don't judge someone on how many of their Instagram photos are football related, that's dumb. I don't hear anybody questioning Von Miller because he wants to sell chicken and spends a lot of time on that company. I also don't care about peoples opinions, when those people were so stupid they got themselves fired. Sounds like they wanted to give away another great player and bring in a Rutgers guy, surprise, surprise, it's called nepotism and Gregs one of the worst I ever heard of at it. Dom was clearly not in control and I'm glad the whole things over.

vCash
    I hope we really draft Sammy now, I kinda thought mikes contract was a little too big for him, don't get me wrong though I do like him.

A little off topic but has anyone noticed Glennon taking a beating recently mainly on JBF?

vCash
    The report also stated Williams racked up some $200,000 in fines for missing meetings and rehab appointments, and for tardiness.

Later in the day, it was learned that the NFL forbids teams from fining players on injured reserve and said players are not required to attend team meetings, thus cannot be fined for missing said meetings.

The ultimate source in this story, Williams, had his say, and much to the chagrin of his old coach, took to social media to air his grievances.

Joe is going to clean up what Williams wrote, but in a nutshell Williams said he will post Twitter and Instagram stuff to his liking and no one is forced to read what he posts. Additionally, Williams stated he has been rehabbing his surgically repaired hamstring the past “two weeks straight” and just because he doesn’t Twitter about it doesn’t mean he isn’t rehabbing.
    ^JBF

HAHA cant even fine players on injured reserve, so he wasn't fined. Which means the article was incorrect about that. Wonder what else in there was incorrect.

Such a joke of an article.

vCash
    I think it is certainly thread worthy seeing as it has to do with our starting receiver's career, however, it appears that the article is not valid at all. Pewter report lost all credibility with me a LONG time ago when they lost their original key writers. They are as credible as JBF at this point.
    I am a member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    Would you guys entertain trading him? If you take Watkins in the first you could probably at least get a Brandon Marshall type of deal from a team like Oakland or Cleveland. A couple thirds or a 3 and a 4 in the early stages of the round could help provide more depth at more needed positions.

vCash
    ^^^^ Ehhh we might be able to get that kinda deal if he hadn't gotten injured and we gave him that massive deal so it could be tough to find suitors. Althought Cleveland does have a plethora of picks and a lot of needs to maybe that could make some sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PFISH91 View Post
    ^^^^ Ehhh we might be able to get that kinda deal if he hadn't gotten injured and we gave him that massive deal so it could be tough to find suitors. Althought Cleveland does have a plethora of picks and a lot of needs to maybe that could make some sense.
    No chance someone would give us 2 2nd round picks for Williams, he has been inconsistent and now is having is dedication questioned and has a history in college of off the field problems. Think more like Santonio Holmes type of deal is the best we could do, which would be a waste so might as well keep the guy.

vCash

Scott Reynolds

I take no pleasure in reporting outside the lines-type of stories, such as the Mike Williams piece I authored on Thursday. It was not a hit piece as some may have perceived it to be, and we are definitely not hating on Williams, who I’ve enjoyed covering since his arrival in Tampa Bay in 2010. After much deliberation PewterReport.com decided to run the story for several reasons.

The first of which is to bring to light the fact that NFL clubs do monitor the players’ social media accounts to keep tabs on the team’s financial investments. That’s newsworthy. When Williams missed or was late to meetings and rehab appointments that he was ultimately fined for – rightly or wrongly – the team drew some conclusions that his blossoming rap career and partying ways, as illustrated for all to see on his own Instagram account, might be contributing to his delinquency. That’s not my conclusion, nor PewterReport.com’s conclusion. That was the conclusion of the Bucs’ brass towards the end of last year, and that’s newsworthy.

Secondly, if Williams made that kind of negative impression on the previous Bucs’ regime, the possibility exists that he could make a similar bad impression on the new regime if he didn’t attend rehab sessions, so hopefully this article could help the talented wide receiver and serve as a positive wake-up call. Williams took to his Instagram account on Thursday to state that he had been to every session over the past two weeks, which is great news for him, the team and Bucs fans.

And finally, there are some other newsworthy elements to the story, such as Dominik structuring Williams’ contract in a way that would allow the team to evaluate his performance in 2013 and possibly part ways with him in 2014 without much of a salary cap repercussion. The contract was structured that way for a reason. There were some concerns about Williams’ maturity and how he might handle a big contract.

There is also the fact that wide receiver is already a position of need in Tampa Bay with free agency and the draft just months away. With Vincent Jackson and Williams on board, the Bucs need a playmaker with speed to play the third receiver role. But if Williams fell out of favor with the team this offseason, receiver would become an even bigger need, and possibly prompt the team to look at drafting Clemson’s Sammy Watkins or USC’s Marqise Lee in the first round.

There have been some that have tried to defuse the story based upon what Williams’ agent, Hadley Englehard, had communicated to Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune on Thursday. Unfortunately, Englehard was not reached when contacted by PewterReport.com prior to this story, but did make himself available to Cummings. Yet Englehard actually didn’t refute our report, as some may have suggested. He simply said he was unaware of any fines aside from uniform violations. Just because he wasn’t aware of the fines doesn’t mean they didn’t happen. I've put another call into Englehard, but have yet to hear back from him, and will gladly correct the story if there are any inaccuracies in my reporting.

For the record, Williams didn’t refute the story, either. He simply stated he had been to all of the rehab sessions for the past two weeks.

When multiple sources told us Williams’ fines were above $200,000, we were told that it was a combination of being late to meetings or missed meetings, in addition to missing and being late for rehab sessions. Those sources did not necessarily say that Williams missed those meetings while on injured reserve, and that they could have been from earlier in the season as Williams wasn’t placed on IR until October 28. As stated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, players on injured reserve cannot be subjected to fines for team meetings.

Also, there were reports suggesting that Williams has guaranteed money in 2014 and 2015, which would result in an unpalatable salary cap hit that would dissuade the Bucs from cutting him. However, ESPN’s Pat Yaskinskas reported on Thursday when referencing PewterReport.com's story that “Cutting him would have virtually no salary-cap implications. It would be very easy to part ways with Williams if things don’t change.”

Here’s hoping that Williams is primarily focused on football, has perfect attendance at One Buccaneer Place during the offseason and 2014 campaign, and that his Cave Man Gang rap career is a successful secondary hobby for the gifted receiver and doesn’t serve as a distraction.
    source: PewterReport.com

If you have great defense, create turnovers and great special teams, you can win 10 games - Lovie Smith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhouse94:27902579
    No chance someone would give us 2 2nd round picks for Williams, he has been inconsistent and now is having is dedication questioned and has a history in college of off the field problems. Think more like Santonio Holmes type of deal is the best we could do, which would be a waste so might as well keep the guy.
    I suggested a couple mid rounders you saw what Seattle gave up for Percy I'm sorry but Williams is no Percy. Two 2nds is too close to what Percy cost to even start litigation with. I'd start at two 3rds (a la Marshall Mia/Chi trade) and take anything between 3 and 5 rounders as long as you're getting a couple picks there.

vCash
    Buccaneers’ wide receiver Mike Williams had some off-the-field question marks coming out of college. Since being drafted by Tampa Bay in fourth round of the 2010 draft, Williams has kept his nose clean for the most part. That is until this past season apparently.

Aftre reports surfaced that the previous Bucs regime may have considered cutting the talented receiver this season, Williams is now being reported as being due in court on February 24 on misdemeanor trespassing and criminal mischief during an unknown incident in December. The report comes from Tampa Bay Times’ Greg Auman. Bucs’ director of communications Nelson Luis released a statement via the article.

“We have spoken with Mike Williams and the local authorities regarding the charges that have been filed against him,” the Bucs said in a statement issued by director of communications Nelson Luis. “All of our players are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that reflects the high character and moral responsibility that we demand as representatives of the Buccaneers organization.”

Williams signed a six-year, $40-million extension last offseason and was sidelineds for most of 2013 with a hamstring injury. The 26-year old Williams’ commitment to football has come into question since his injury and with the latest report of some legal trouble, this will not be a good first impression with the new regime.
    Link: http://www.thebaycave.com/2014/02/08...egal-problems/
    Last edited by bucc4life; 02-08-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added link.

vCash
    Hmmmm this situation and whether or not he comes back a full 100% makes WR a even more pressing need.

Sammy Watkins at 7 please!!!!!! I'll be so upset if he's on the board and we trade back or something stupid

vCash
    Hmmmm this situation and whether or not he comes back a full 100% makes WR a even more pressing need.

Sammy Watkins at 7 please!!!!!! I'll be so upset if he's on the board and we trade back or something stupid
    STL and OAK will be in the way but I like our chances of him being there at #7

vCash
    Yea Oak to me is the big issue he even strikes me as a raider. STL though that might be a reach at 2 but they very well could trade down.

vCash
    Emmanuel Sanders and Jordan Matthews/Allen Robinson in the 2nd would be welcome additions of this situation turns sour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast