Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The Free Agency Discussion Thread

No, this isn't to talk about free agents for 2014. This is to talk about everyone's theory on it.

Is it necessary? Unnecessary?

How dangerous is it? Do you prefer it? Are you scared of it?

Do you wish your team did more? Less?

Do you like going after big free agents? Or just 2nd or third tier?

I personally defend GB's style of staying away. Too often we see the big free agents (and most of the rest) not live up to their deals. I'm often killed for this stance.

They long for the "next Reggie White" in FA like that still exists. The two best pass rushers to hit FA lately were Peppers and Mario. They hardly lived up to their deals.

So, what's your guy's thesis on today's free agency?
    [QUOTE=det32;28757687]assuming you where going to say something about me being "harsh" or "hatting" on Wilson.. i hate to brake it to you but he is a "borderline starter" at best.. my 20th- 25th QB.. that's not hating that's just being real.. /QUOTE]

vCash
    I think there has to be a mix. I'm not a fan either the Redskins' or GB's strategy on the FA market...there has to be some sort of happy medium. But if you do spend money in FA, it has to be on smart, reasonable dollars such as the Reggie Bush contract last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I think there has to be a mix. I'm not a fan either the Redskins' or GB's strategy on the FA market...there has to be some sort of happy medium. But if you do spend money in FA, it has to be on smart, reasonable dollars such as the Reggie Bush contract last year.
    I don't think GB's stance is as steadfast as it looks, they want to be players but they draw a line in the sand on what they will pay on said player and they will not go past it. I kind of respect that.
    [QUOTE=det32;28757687]assuming you where going to say something about me being "harsh" or "hatting" on Wilson.. i hate to brake it to you but he is a "borderline starter" at best.. my 20th- 25th QB.. that's not hating that's just being real.. /QUOTE]

vCash
    Obviously I think everyone would prefer the Packers method, But not everyone can draft well enough to have 90% of your team be players drafted by them.. If free agency is done smart, It can help a rebuilding/mid level team, If done wrong it can destroy teams like the Redskins the past 10years

While it hasent translated too well yet, I think the Lions have done a good job of mixing in Free Agents and in house players to make a competitive team

vCash
    Give me a good mix.

vCash
    Talk about a 10 part question!

1) Is it necessary....Yes. Contracts are still driven off of how much is he worth on the free market, not how much does he mean to us.

2) FA is very risky. For every Albert Haynsworth getting overpaid and under performing, there is a Bennett/Avril getting underpaid and over performing. On a one year contract too.

3) I wish my team did more. Not on the top line FA market (so no Byrd or anyone like that) but more of the midlevel talent.

My thesis:
    FA was great when it started. It's still a good tool, but you have to find the middle ground. A team needs to strike a balance where a player is the right fit and the right contract. It's a matter of really seeing it as a roster filling pool, than a roster building tool.
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Talk about a 10 part question!

1) Is it necessary....Yes. Contracts are still driven off of how much is he worth on the free market, not how much does he mean to us.

2) FA is very risky. For every Albert Haynsworth getting overpaid and under performing, there is a Bennett/Avril getting underpaid and over performing. On a one year contract too.

3) I wish my team did more. Not on the top line FA market (so no Byrd or anyone like that) but more of the midlevel talent.

My thesis:
    FA was great when it started. It's still a good tool, but you have to find the middle ground. A team needs to strike a balance where a player is the right fit and the right contract. It's a matter of really seeing it as a roster filling pool, than a roster building tool.
    Lol, I just wanted to open up all avenues of discussion and let the thread go where it goes.

I think any time you're signing a FA and you're paying top 5 money on the position, chances are, you're going to be under a bad contract. It's almost always true, sans Peyton and freak cases like that.

vCash
    I hope McKenzie doesn't follow Green Bays way. It won't work.

vCash
    I like the signing of young guys that have a lot of potential. Nothing huge like when the Raiders signed Jacob Walker and Deangelo Hall. That stuff typically doesn't work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Lol, I just wanted to open up all avenues of discussion and let the thread go where it goes.

I think any time you're signing a FA and you're paying top 5 money on the position, chances are, you're going to be under a bad contract. It's almost always true, sans Peyton and freak cases like that.
    LOL, agreed. But that's why it's so boom or bust on FA.

So many decent players don't get the contract that they expect. Then they play out on a one year contract. No one wins there.
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oak18 View Post
    Lol, he can't. They're 12 billion dollars under the cap.

I think Thompson would spend the money if he had it, he just rarely does. More so now with Rodgers and Clay's deals.

McKenzie is going to play in FA, I expect him to do well too. As much as I still hate him for Justin Harrell. I have it on good authority he was the one that pounded the table for him.

vCash
    I like the signing of young guys that have a lot of potential. Nothing huge like when the Raiders signed Jacob Walker and Deangelo Hall. That stuff typically doesn't work.
    And those guys are so damn rare anymore. They're being locked up or if the original team is letting them go, they can't afford them, and generally they're wanting a billion dollars.

vCash
    Good thing the Steelers, Pats, Giants, and Packers haven't won a SB with that theory...
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    And those guys are so damn rare anymore. They're being locked up or if the original team is letting them go, they can't afford them, and generally they're wanting a billion dollars.
    *cough*mikewallace*cough*
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Good thing the Steelers, Pats, Giants, and Packers haven't won a SB with that theory...
    high five good sir.

SF is mostly a draft and develop team too. Look at the majority of their studs? All draft picks. It's insanity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast