Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the #11 prospect?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dilson Herrera

5 38.46%
  • Domingo Tapia

0 0%
  • Luis Mateo

1 7.69%
  • Gavin Cecchini

0 0%
  • Chris Flexen

0 0%
  • Jhoan Urena

0 0%
  • Matt Koch

0 0%
  • Dustin Lawley

0 0%
  • Casey Meisner

0 0%
  • Steven Matz

6 46.15%
  • Michael Fulmer

0 0%
  • Cory Mazzoni

0 0%
  • Jeuyrs Familia

1 7.69%
  • Vic Black

0 0%
  • Erik Goeddel

0 0%
  • Jeff Walters

0 0%
  • Gabriel Ynoa

0 0%
  • Luis Cessa

0 0%
  • Jayce Boyd

0 0%
  • Jack Leathersich

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2014 PSD Mets Forum #11 Prospect

Vote for who you think should be the #11 prospect.

vCash
    Matz.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    I'm going with Herrera. I think he can be an above average 2B on both sides of the ball with pop.

Need more votes in here too.

vCash
    I'm torn here, lots of good options. Leaning towards Matz, ahead of Familia or Mazzoni. Also considered Mateo or Fulmer.

Mateo according to the scouting might have the best upside in the system after Noah. But will miss half the season. Fulmer I think has good potential, but probably not more than Mazzoni, who is the safer pick right now.

Mazzoni is the type of guy who would have been a certain top 10 for us in most other years. His 4.36 ERA was just OK this year, but his peripherals were really strong. He actually had a top 5 FIP in the Eastern League (along with Montero and Gorski) for pitchers with over 60 IP. I think he's been off hte radar a bit after missing the second half with a knee injury, but should be healthy in 2014. Most see him as a pen arm in MLB, but he's had a pretty good track record as a SP in college and the minors. He's one of the guys I think of when Keith Law talks about our system's depth in pitchers who throw strikes but aren't finesse guys. He can pound the zone with a good fastball and slider.

But I've got to go with Matz having more upside. The Mets wouldn't have added him to the roster so soon if they weren't sold on that upside. I think he could end up a pen guy as well, but a lefty with his stuff would be really valuable there. He's had his injury issues in the past, but threw over 100 IP and ended the season strong. Another healthy season and his stock should continue to climb.
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 01-30-2014 at 02:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    But I've got to go with Matz having more upside. The Mets wouldn't have added him to the roster so soon if they weren't sold on that upside. I think he could end up a pen guy as well, but a lefty with his stuff would be really valuable there. He's had his injury issues in the past, but threw over 100 IP and ended the season strong. Another healthy season and his stock should continue to climb.
    Agreed. Matz has the makings of a #2 imo (at least a #3) if he can work on his mechanics, secondaries, and get that bullpen label off of him.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-30-2014 at 02:53 PM.

vCash
    I went with Herrera. I love the speed/power combo from a middle infielder. But a LHP in Matz with K ability is hard to dismiss as well.

vCash
    I'm probably underrating the pitchers on the list but I'm going with Herrera. Middle infielders with solid tools on both sides of the ball are valuable.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    I'm torn here, lots of good options. Leaning towards Matz, ahead of Familia or Mazzoni. Also considered Mateo or Fulmer.

Mateo according to the scouting might have the best upside in the system after Noah. But will miss half the season. Fulmer I think has good potential, but probably not more than Mazzoni, who is the safer pick right now.

Mazzoni is the type of guy who would have been a certain top 10 for us in most other years. His 4.36 ERA was just OK this year, but his peripherals were really strong. He actually had a top 5 FIP in the Eastern League (along with Montero and Gorski) for pitchers with over 60 IP. I think he's been off hte radar a bit after missing the second half with a knee injury, but should be healthy in 2014. Most see him as a pen arm in MLB, but he's had a pretty good track record as a SP in college and the minors. He's one of the guys I think of when Keith Law talks about our system's depth in pitchers who throw strikes but aren't finesse guys. He can pound the zone with a good fastball and slider.

I like Mazzoni, but he's what I like to call, "wild inside the zone." His stuff is really good, but he needs to command his pitches better, specifically his breaking ball. He leaves too many pitches up in the zone.

What makes Mazzoni attractive in the pen is his ablity to dial it up in short bursts. He could probably start, but his mechanics use a lot of effort(not specifically on his arm) and is seems difficult for him to hold his velo deep into starts. His mechanics are probably also apart of the reason for his command issues.

I think Matz can be a beast though, so he's the better choice. Mateo is high up there for me as well TJ or not.

All that being said, Herrera's combination of youth and upside at a premium position gives him the nod for this spot in my eyes. There's also a greater than 0% chance he could stick at SS.

vCash
    I will vote for Mateo because he probably has the best combo of plus pitches in his slider and fastball as compared to any other Met pitcher in the system. He also has excellent control, yes the injuries are a concern, but I like his upside more than any other guy.

vCash
    I have to go with Matz. It was close with Herrera, but I like the K to BB ratio, and he was born in the same hospital as my son, which was the clincher.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Going with Herrera. Voted for him since the 9 spot so I'll keep voting til he wins

vCash
    Not sure how anyone can still be defending the Cecchini pick. We're at #11, and realistically I still have Herrera, Ynoa, Matz and Mateo all above him. I'm really interested to see what a healthy Familia can do too, he kind of fell off the radar with the depth of pitching we have. So, at best we have him as the 15th best prospect, and the thirds best middle infield prospect, 8th best position prospect in a system that is not known for its position players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Not sure how anyone can still be defending the Cecchini pick. We're at #11, and realistically I still have Herrera, Ynoa, Matz and Mateo all above him. I'm really interested to see what a healthy Familia can do too, he kind of fell off the radar with the depth of pitching we have. So, at best we have him as the 15th best prospect, and the thirds best middle infield prospect, 8th best position prospect in a system that is not known for its position players.
    I'm not a huge Cecchini fan, but to be fair he is ranked around 8-9 on most Mets prospect lists - just not this one. He is viewed by everyone as a solid defensive SS with fringe hitting tools. That may not sound great, but it has real value if he can continue that right to the majors.

He probably gets a worse rap here than he deserves amongst fans because most people wanted a guy with more upside with that draft pick.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    I would rate a few others ahead of him, including Lawley as well. Cecchini has played decent defense, but not stellar. His glove isn't good enough to carry his .631 OPS in his first two seasons. As of right now, Cecchini hasn't shown the ability to hit for average, walk, or hit for any power at all.

It's premature to write off Cecchini as a bust because of his age. He's barely 20, and will likely start this season in Savannah. That's a tough place to hit, so he's got a lot to prove.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I'm not a huge Cecchini fan, but to be fair he is ranked around 8-9 on most Mets prospect lists - just not this one. He is viewed by everyone as a solid defensive SS with fringe hitting tools. That may not sound great, but it has real value if he can continue that right to the majors.

He probably gets a worse rap here than he deserves amongst fans because most people wanted a guy with more upside with that draft pick.
    Sounds like Pete Kozma. And I also just saw one of the latest rankings that has him taking the biggest dive in the Mets system. I don't know why it eats at me so much, but for some reason since draft day that pick has driven me nuts. I root for the guy and hope for the best but do not have very high expectations. Kozma was also a first round pick, and I feel like that is pretty much exactly the player we are getting. If Rosario pans out, then it is a wash though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast