Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AJ Burnett?

vCash

AJ Burnett?

How do you guys feel about signing him?

As you all know, he has decided to pitch next year and wants to stay close to home. He lives in Monkton, MD, which is a half hour from Camden Yards. His wife refuses to fly on an airplane and wants to be close to him. He got killed in NY, so I don't think a reunion with the Yanks or him going to the Mets is likely. Braves seem too far south. I feel Cleveland and Cincy would be too far as well.

Honestly, I only see the Pirates (his team last year), the O's and the Phillies making sense for him. I am kind of worried about the Phillies swooping in though. I'd give him 1 year 14 mill and then go out and sign Morales (2 year 18 mill) so we can take a run at a championship before Hardy.Davis/Wieters file for free agency. Maybe spending money now will convince them we are committed to winning and staying. Who knows.

Thoughts? I think we HAVE to sign him to make this off-season a C instead of a big fat F.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...r-pirates.html

vCash
    I could see Burnett, Arroyo, Morales, and anyone else in that same vein.
    I wish I could see Santana but I don;t see the O's forking out that kind of money.
    If they wouldn't do it for a real DH or a closer they won't do it for a starting pitcher.
    Ask me about my balls ...

Here

vCash
    Personally, I would love to get Burnett on a one year, 15 mill deal and Arroyo on a 2 year 20 mill deal.

Our starting 5 would be:

Burnett
    Tillman
    Chen
    Arroyo
    Gonzalez

Then we have Norris and Britton moving to the pen. We could let Gausman continue to develop at AAA and I'm sure he would have the first crack at a starting gig if someone under-performed or got hurt. Then he could be a mainstay in 2015 when Burnett leaves.

Sure we would end up having roughly a 105 mill plus payroll for 2014, but DD said he would go up to 100 and we need to take a shot at a ring...

vCash
    I like this: per MLBTR.com

Orioles "All In" On Burnett, Rays Also Interested
    By Jeff Todd [January 30 at 10:22am CST]
    The Orioles are "all in" on free agent starter A.J. Burnett, reports Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com (via Twitter). Also in the mix are the Rays, according to Gammons.

Burnett's reported decision to enter the open market promises to have a major impact on how the remaining free agent starting pitching situation plays out. In certain respects, Burnett is the most attractive remaining starter. (In particular, he was outstanding last year and figures to be had on a short-term deal.) As the newly reported interest of the Rays demonstrates, he could appeal to a variety of clubs, including those that had not been rumored to be players on the rest of the market.

But, as Gammons says, Burnett has only just begun the process of chosing a club. With pitchers and catchers reporting within a matter of weeks, and the starting pitching market still de-thawing from its Tanaka freeze, Burnett could potentially create further hold-up on the rest of the market. Teams like the Orioles, for instance, might conceivably hold off on other top options like Ubaldo Jimenez or Ervin Santana until Burnett has made his decision. And, as I noted previously, if Burnett lands with a club that had intended to add a starter, there could be less demand left for the other best open-market arms.

Can;t really see the Rays gettign involved because:

A. Tampa is too far away from wide and family in Monkton, MD.
    B. Rays budget. We have been hearing whispers about a Price trade and it hasn't happened, so you'd have to think they are near their budget, AND they just signed Balfour. They are probably trying to drive up the price on us.

I still think it is down to the O's, Pirates, Phillies and Nats. I guess the Mets or Braves could be DEEEEEEEP sleepers, but I say less than 5% he goes to either of those destinations.

vCash
    "All In" is relative with Baltimore. They're pitching a "hometown discount."
    You know. We can't pay you as much as other teams but you'll be home half the season.

Here

vCash
    I think 1 year 14.2 million will get it done.

vCash
    I'm disappointed with the manner in which the O's sat on their thumbs in free agency while every other team in the division got better. Signing AJ Burnett doesn't instill confidence this team can compete. Even if Japanese pitchers are notoriously over-rated and spending huge payrolls guarantees nothing the O's let a 50 game closer walk and replaced him with nothing. A 50 game closer in the AL East. No reason to pay one of those. No close games in that division. Their starting rotation can all go eight innings and shut the opposition down. They can score runs at will, DH be damned. Just stick anyone in there to protect Davis. Yea, I'm pissed.

Here

vCash
    I don't think AJ chose to play baseball this year just so he could fail a physical with the O's, he's going back to Pittsburgh that doesn't mean he won't listen to other offers but I'm pretty sure he liked his time in Pittsburgh and that is a team with a real chance to win. Also no way the O's give up a pick to sign Morales, Personally I think Morales is a perfect fit with the O's, but I can't see the O's giving up a pick to sign him. I can't really blame the O's for not pulling the trigger on Morales, no other team seems to be willing to give up a pick either. My guess is he is signed sometime during the spring to a team that needs an injury replacement or feels desperate to add more offense.

vCash
    I see what you're saying about giving up the pick for Morales. However, don't you think the two teenage amateur International signings from yesterday with "undisclosed signing bonuses" is perfectly timed to supplement the Minor League system and they wanted to get these guys signed BEFORE they signed someone with draft pick compensation?

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/ori...ss-new-signees

Looks to me like they are beefing up the system so they can afford the lost draft pick, but that's just me.

I think we get Burnett (1 year 14-17 mill), OR

Arroyo (2 year 19 mill) AND Morales (2 year 18 mill).

Both of these situations will keep us around 100 mill in payroll.

vCash
    Supplementing the draft with the signing of those two players is an interesting take on signing Morales. One I must admit I hadn't really considered, however that does kind of make sense and it's not like the O's have a particularly high pick this season either so you may be right on that. I still really think that Burnett is only playing in Pittsburgh this year, they will want him back and he's had much more success in the NL compared to the AL. I fear if he comes to the O's it's only for the money and that's not the type of guy for the O's clubhouse. Not saying Burnett's that type of guy, like I said I think he's going to Pittsburgh.

vCash
    I do want Burnett, but not if it comes at the cost of not offering Davis/Wieters and Hardy a fair extension deal. I'd rather put that 15 million into an asset we can control for longer than a year.

vCash
    I do like these international signings we are doing. I also enjoy the fact that they are fields too. A believe, don't hold it against me, but a 2nd/shortstop as well as an outfielder?

I hope we can get some pitchers as well to build up the farm before the draft even starts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    I do want Burnett, but not if it comes at the cost of not offering Davis/Wieters and Hardy a fair extension deal. I'd rather put that 15 million into an asset we can control for longer than a year.
    It's sad when at this point in free agency, resigning our players would be considered a huge upgrade for us. I am thinking more and more Wieters isn't resigning though. I hope for our sake we atleast make them all competitive offers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bal_ravens View Post
    It's sad when at this point in free agency, resigning our players would be considered a huge upgrade for us. I am thinking more and more Wieters isn't resigning though. I hope for our sake we atleast make them all competitive offers.
    In my mind Wieters is already gone. I think it has been that way for me for about a year and a half or so. We need to stack up our chips and keep Davis on a 6 year extension and Hardy on a 3 year extension.

Hardy: 3 yr 42 mill

Davis: 6 year 105 million.

vCash
    ^ I agree. I hope if we trade Wieters, we get high pitching prospects and maybe a mid-level outfielder or second base prospect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast